Bank profits soaring

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
We've heard quite a bit the past few days about recently unprecedented bank profits by our 5 major banks........good or bad news depending on who you ask. To me unless we know how much of that money if any was profit to shareholders, the news is meaningless.

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
We've heard quite a bit the past few days about recently unprecedented bank profits by our 5 major banks........good or bad news depending on who you ask. To me unless we know how much of that money if any was profit to shareholders, the news is meaningless.

Wouldn't reinvesting it into the company and creating jobs be just as good a use of the money as paying dividends?

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004

I don't know about you, but for me, the bank I use to safe guard my money making profits is a good thing. Last thing I want is for that same bank to lose money and go tits up.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Wouldn't reinvesting it into the company and creating jobs be just as good a use of the money as paying dividends?

In the U.S. probably, where a guy can own a bank. Banks in Canada are made of probably millions of shareholders, of which you and I are a couple if we have money in a pension. If we have money invested for retirement, we expect that money to grow, when the money quits growing we put it somewhere else. Bye bye bank!

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
I'll say this again and this proves my point nicely.

Don't put your money in the bank, buy their stocks and let the bank rip money from other people and pay you the dividends.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I don't know about you, but for me, the bank I use to safe guard my money making profits is a good thing. Last thing I want is for that same bank to lose money and go tits up.

Yep, I think a lot of people see "bank profits" to mean the manager goes home every night with all his pockets stuffed full of money! :lol:

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
In the U.S. probably, where a guy can own a bank. Banks in Canada are made of probably millions of shareholders, of which you and I are a couple if we have money in a pension. If we have money invested for retirement, we expect that money to grow, when the money quits growing we put it somewhere else. Bye bye bank!

Only the credit union has its account holders as shareholders, by definition in fact. When you open an account or make an investment you agree upon an interest rate, subject to some readjustment at some fixed times. You won't be seeing any of the profit at a normal bank but society is still bettered if they invest it in opening new branches, extending branch hours or similar things which is something everyone should care about.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Only the credit union has its account holders as shareholders, by definition in fact. When you open an account or make an investment you agree upon an interest rate, subject to some readjustment at some fixed times. You won't be seeing any of the profit at a normal bank but society is still bettered if they invest it in opening new branches, extending branch hours or similar things which is something everyone should care about.

When JLM talks about a pension plan, he is talking about a union, government, employment, etc plan where the money dumped into the pension fund is then invested in various ventures (including banks) to make a profit for that pension fund. He's not talking about an RRSP.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
https://www.cibc.com/ca/investor-relations/share-info.html

https://www.bmoinvestorline.com/ILClientWeb/marketing/marketingChart.do?method=displayMarketingChart&language=E

http://www.td.com/investor-relations/ir-homepage/share-information/common-shares/common.jsp

etc.

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
When JLM talks about a pension plan, he is talking about a union, government, employment, etc plan where the money dumped into the pension fund is then invested in various ventures (including banks) to make a profit for that pension fund. He's not talking about an RRSP.

His reply and prioritization of dividends over re-investment makes more sense now. Thanks.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I'll say this again and this proves my point nicely.

Don't put your money in the bank, buy their stocks and let the bank rip money from other people and pay you the dividends.

One caution- right now is not the best time to buy bank shares, they are at a "high" right now, buy them when they are cheaper!

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
What,s all this about non segregation of assets in yankee banks,?apparently your money is their money and when they close the door you get nothing. They suggest that depositors might want to get their valuables out now. Oh yeh they are opening up safety deposit boxes in UK banks at this time and keeping the contents. HANG THE BANKERS