Doctor Who Won't See Women Who Weigh More Than 200 Pounds

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012

jjaycee98

Electoral Member
Jan 27, 2006
British Columbia
A Massachusetts primary care doctor adopted a new screening process for new patients this past spring: She no longer takes women who weigh more than 200 pounds, Boston's WCVB reports.

A woman named Ida Davidson learned of this policy when she was seeking an appointment with Dr. Helen M. Carter and was rejected as a result of her weight.

http://www.wcvb.com/health/Doctor-refuses-to-treat-overweight-Shrewsbury-patient/-/9848730/16255838/-/79l2ctz/-/index.html

Well maybe she thinks she can not help anyone who won't help themselves.

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
"After three consecutive injuries (with other patients) trying to care for people over 250 pounds, my office is unable to accommodate a certain weight and we put a limit on it," Carter said.

Read more: Doctor refuses to treat overweight Shrewsbury patient | Health - WCVB Home

It seems to me that Carter didn't get into medicine to help people, otherwise she would take measures to make the work safer instead of refusing to treat people over some weight limit. I knew at least one capable guy who was refused entrance into medical school because of his stance on euthanasia, but this is an example of a doctor they take instead?

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
It seems to me that Carter didn't get into medicine to help people, otherwise she would take measures to make the work safer instead of refusing to treat people over some weight limit. I knew at least one capable guy who was refused entrance into medical school because of his stance on euthanasia, but this is an example of a doctor they take instead?

She has every 'legal' right to choose who she takes on as a patient but this, to my way of thinking, this does not do much for my view of her as a human being, which also reflects how I'm going to feel about her as a doctor. It is, again to my way of thinking, an unethical stance for someone who has chosen as a profession to help others.

Essentially she comes across as lazy. How well would I be able to trust the care she provides?

Being hefty doesn't mean you aren't fit. Take a look at any defensive line in CFL or NFL.

How many female linebackers are currently in the CFL or NFL? Lol.

Being 'hefty' doesn't mean you are unhealthy. It may lead to health problems, the operative word being may.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I know a couple Amazons, that would be labeled obese by a Doctor, that could give them a run for their money.

Amazons are known to be tough. ;)

Lol

It's all in the attitude of the doctor really, obese can be a term of measurement by which certain other health conditions may be at risk of increase, or obese can be a term of judgement. It sounds to me as though the doctor in the OP is using the latter term.

skookumchuck

Council Member
Jan 19, 2012
Van Isle
Just because you have studied and memorized medical journals does not make you a superior or even balanced human being. Physician's words which are not directly related to medical issues are often given too much weight by the public.
Few people choose their Doctors as carefully as they do their mechanic and given the difficulty lately of even finding one who is taking new patients worsens the problem.

In my motocross racing days (70's) i was told by our family doctor after a visit to deal with my second knee sprain in a month, that peeps that raced should pay higher medicare fees!
Being kinda grouchy that day, i mentioned that his separated shoulder from skiing a few months earlier and a broken ankle the year before on the slopes should count also:roll:
I changed my Doc as i considered his professional judgement to be suspect, my ex stayed with him because he was very personable with the ladies and kids.

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
She has every 'legal' right to choose who she takes on as a patient but this, to my way of thinking, this does not do much for my view of her as a human being, which also reflects how I'm going to feel about her as a doctor. It is, again to my way of thinking, an unethical stance for someone who has chosen as a profession to help others.

Essentially she comes across as lazy. How well would I be able to trust the care she provides?

It would certainly change my opinion of my own doctor to learn they had such a policy. A shame the rest of her patients probably don't know about that policy.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
It would certainly change my opinion of my own doctor to learn they had such a policy. A shame the rest of her patients probably don't know about that policy.

I'd be willing to bet good money this is not someone who keeps her views to herself too often. I doubt her views on much are really a secret.