Israeli court rejects US activist's family lawsuit

MapleDog

Time Out
Jun 1, 2012
St Calixte Quebec Canada
Israeli court rejects US activist's family lawsuit - Yahoo! News
An Israeli court ruled Tuesday that the military was not at fault for killing a U.S. activist crushed by an army bulldozer during a 2003 demonstration, rejecting a lawsuit filed by her parents.

The bulldozer driver has said he didn't see 23-year-old Rachel Corrie, a pro-Palestinian activist who was trying to block the vehicle's path during a demonstration in the Gaza Strip against the military's demolition of Palestinian homes.

The military deemed her March 2003 death an accident, but Corrie's parents said the driver acted recklessly and filed a civil lawsuit two years later.

Explaining the district court's ruling, Judge Oded Gershon said Corrie "put herself in a dangerous situation" and called her death "the result of an accident she brought upon herself." He said the military conducted a proper investigation and rejected the Corrie family's request for a symbolic $1 in damages and legal expenses.

Corrie's family, who flew in from the U.S. for the verdict, lamented the court's ruling.

"We are of course, deeply saddened and deeply troubled by what we heard today," said her mother, Cindy Corrie of Olympia, Washington. "I believe this was a bad day. Not only for our family but for human rights, the rule of law, and also for the country of Israel."

The family said it was strongly considering an appeal to the Israeli Supreme Court, but wanted to read the full verdict before making a final decision.

Corrie's sister, Sarah, held up a picture of her sister lying lifeless in bulldozer tracks. The family's lawyer, Hussein Abu Hussein pointed at it: "How did the bulldozer not see her?" he asked. To say that the driver did not see her "is lies to the living and also lies to the dead."

Following the verdict, the Israeli state prosecutor's office called Corrie's death a "tragic accident" but noted the court exonerated the military of "any blame for negligence." It said it had presented three investigations that found the driver could not have seen Corrie, and noted that the driver acted in a "a military action in the course of war."

"The work was done while exercising maximum caution and prudence and without the ability to foresee harming anyone," it said.

The home demolitions were part of an unsuccessful campaign to halt thousands of attacks on soldiers and Jewish settlers in southern Gaza, along the border with Egypt, in the preceding 3 ½ years. On the day Rachel Corrie died, she and other activists had entered a closed military zone to protest the demolition policy.

According to the U.N. agency handling Palestinian refugees, the military had left more than 17,000 Gazans homeless in the four years after a Palestinian uprising against Israel erupted in September 2000. The demolitions drew international condemnation at the time.

In her death, Corrie became the embodiment of what Palestinian activists say is Israel's harsh repression of nonviolent protest to occupation. Israel says by entering conflict zones to try to interfere with military activities, activists recklessly choose to risk their lives.

Her parents have relentlessly pursued her case since going to court in 2005 after a military investigation cleared the driver.

They say they have spent $200,000 to fly in witnesses, attend 15 hearings and translate more than 2,000 pages of court transcripts.

At the news conference, Cindy Corrie read a passage from one of her daughter's letters, biting her lip as her husband, grim-faced, held a microphone for her.

"Life is very difficult. Human beings can be kind, brave and strong, even in the most difficult of circumstances," Rachel Corrie wrote. "Thank you for existing, for showing how good people can be, despite great hardship."

The Corrie case was the first civil lawsuit of a foreigner harmed by Israel's military to conclude in a full civilian trial. Others have resulted in out-of-court settlements.
If the driver saw her and still continued,it murder,and if it was exactly that i wonder what she thought would happen,that she would stop it like the chinese guy with the tanks.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
He probably thought she was a Palestinian. The Israeli criminal justice system doesn't consider murderering Palestinians to be a serious crime. Israeli soldiers and settlers regularly murder innocent Palestinian civilians and very seldom are they even charged with a crime let alone convicted:

Example to prove point:
Not guilty. The Israeli captain who emptied his rifle into a Palestinian schoolgirl | World news | The Guardian

Amnesty International:

Israeli soldiers, members of the security forces and settlers continued to enjoy impunity for human rights abuses committed against Palestinians, including unlawful killings. Settler violence included shooting at Palestinians and destruction of Palestinian property. In only extremely rare cases were the perpetrators held to account for their actions.

According to a detailed report on impunity published by the |sraeli human rights organization B’Tselem in October, the Israeli military killed 1,510 Palestinians in 2006-09, excluding those killed during Operation “Cast Lead”. Of these, 617, including 104 children aged under 18, were not taking part in any hostilities when they were killed. B’Tselem called for an investigation into 288 of the killings committed in 148 incidents, most in the Gaza Strip; investigations were opened in only 22 incidents, most in the West Bank. B’Tselem reported that only four investigations were opened within a month of the incident. In two investigations, the case was closed without any prosecution of the soldiers involved.

Amnesty International | Working to Protect Human Rights

I am unaware of an Israeli soldier or settler ever being convicted of assaulting or murdering a Palestinian in the West Bank or Gaza..

Last edited:

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
How about in front of a tank column in Tienanmen Square?

Western propaganda portrayed that action as heroic. What is your opinion about that man? Brave or deserving of becoming a roar pizza?

If you agree this man's action was heroic, then please explain the difference...

MapleDog

Time Out
Jun 1, 2012
St Calixte Quebec Canada
How about in front of a tank column in Tienanmen Square?

Western propaganda portrayed that action as heroic. What is your opinion about that man? Brave or deserving of becoming a roar pizza?

If you agree this man's action was heroic, then please explain the difference...
Could also have been staged by china,to show they were not the china the world knew before.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
He probably thought she was a Palestinian. ..

He said he didn't see her at all.

She was messing with something that was way over her head. Spoiled little rich girl.

Her parent's didn't even get the ceremonial dollar that they were looking for and spent over $200K trying to get it. I can see how Rachel got herself into that jam now.

MapleDog

Time Out
Jun 1, 2012
St Calixte Quebec Canada

She was messing with something that was way over her head. Spoiled little rich girl.

Her parent's didn't even get the ceremonial dollar that they were looking for and spent over $200K trying to get it. I can see how Rachel got herself into that jam now.
If i remember when the video was shown,she was clearly visible to the driver "for a short period" then as he advanced,she didn't move waiting like a deer in the headlights of a mack truck at night,and we know what happened "SQUISH" road pizza,either she was really dumb or wanted to be a martyr for the cause.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
He probably thought she was a Palestinian. The Israeli criminal justice system doesn't consider murderering Palestinians to be a serious crime. Israeli soldiers and settlers regularly murder innocent Palestinian civilians and very seldom are they even charged with a crime let alone convicted:

Example to prove point:
Not guilty. The Israeli captain who emptied his rifle into a Palestinian schoolgirl | World news | The Guardian

Amnesty International:

Israeli soldiers, members of the security forces and settlers continued to enjoy impunity for human rights abuses committed against Palestinians, including unlawful killings. Settler violence included shooting at Palestinians and destruction of Palestinian property. In only extremely rare cases were the perpetrators held to account for their actions.

According to a detailed report on impunity published by the |sraeli human rights organization B’Tselem in October, the Israeli military killed 1,510 Palestinians in 2006-09, excluding those killed during Operation “Cast Lead”. Of these, 617, including 104 children aged under 18, were not taking part in any hostilities when they were killed. B’Tselem called for an investigation into 288 of the killings committed in 148 incidents, most in the Gaza Strip; investigations were opened in only 22 incidents, most in the West Bank. B’Tselem reported that only four investigations were opened within a month of the incident. In two investigations, the case was closed without any prosecution of the soldiers involved.

Amnesty International | Working to Protect Human Rights

I am unaware of an Israeli soldier or settler ever being convicted of assaulting or murdering a Palestinian in the West Bank or Gaza..

Oh BALONEY!

She crossed into a restricted area in a war zone.

She threw herself in front of a piece of military equipment involved in a military operation.

That in itself is suicide.

Add to that the fact that the bulldozer was armoured, and the driver's view was severely limited, and THREE investigations concluded that Ms. Corrie could not be seen, and you reach the inevitable conclusion that the ONLY award necessary in the case of this stupid, naive, misguided women is the posthumous Darwin Award for failing to breed more idiots..

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
If i remember when the video was shown,she was clearly visible to the driver "for a short period" then as he advanced,she didn't move waiting like a deer in the headlights of a mack truck at night,and we know what happened "SQUISH" road pizza,either she was really dumb or wanted to be a martyr for the cause.

Unless you were sitting next to the driver how can you say she was clearly visible.

This is our Rachel...

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006

The operator claims he didn't see or hear Corrie. While that's possible, its also unlikely since she was wearing a bright orange coat and shouting at the operator with a bull horn. This group of activists had been a thorn in the side of IDF soldiers for days. Israeli soldiers and colonialists know they can murder unarmed civilians in Gaza and the West Bank with little fear that they will be held accountable for their actions. I suspect the operator simple tired of playing games with the activists and decided to make a point.

In 2005, Human Rights Watch published a report titled Promoting Impunity: The Israeli Military's Failure to Investigate Wrongdoing, raising several issues related to the impartiality and professionalism with which the Military Police investigation was conducted. Among them were what Human Rights Watch described as the investigators' lack of preparation; "hostile," "inappropriate," "mostly accusatory" questions they asked witnesses; omitting to get witnesses to draw maps or identify locations on a map of how it occurred; and their asserted disinterest in reconciling soldiers' testimonies with those of other eyewitnesses. The report was not limited in scope to Corrie's death; it described a number of similar instances in which one-line summary findings were reported to the media after closed investigations in which neither non-military witnesses nor victims or their families were involved.
Promoting Impunity | Human Rights Watch

Last edited:

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I think it was a little before the front of the bulldozer got up climbing over the dirt.

anyway as i said,she was probably planning to be a martyr.

No, it was just the little rich girl playing freedom fighter over there at a demonstration at an earlier date.

The day she got run over she was, as EAO said, wearing bright orange and jumping in and out of the way of a bull dozer along with other westerners.

MapleDog

Time Out
Jun 1, 2012
St Calixte Quebec Canada
No, it was just the little rich girl playing freedom fighter over there at a demonstration at an earlier date.

The day she got run over she was, as EAO said, wearing bright orange and jumping in and out of the way of a bull dozer along with other westerners.
Then who is right about it,the israel gov/military,who claimed she was not visible,or the activists who say it was murder?

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Depends on who's side you're on I suppose. EAO will blame Israel no matter what. As vile of a person I think she is I wished she still lived. However she got herself in deep and immersed herself in hatred of Israel and her own country and paid the price for that hate. Her parents are still paying the price for the selfishness of their daughter.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
He probably thought she was a Palestinian. The Israeli criminal justice system doesn't consider murderering Palestinians to be a serious crime. Israeli soldiers and settlers regularly murder innocent Palestinian civilians and very seldom are they even charged with a crime let alone convicted.

Sorry about that- Hit green vice Red.
Again with your hatred of jews and israel- So if you are probably Jewish how many generations back.10, 20 or is it just you bad imagination at work again.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
It was a risk she took knowingly, she got what she wanted, what's the big deal?

That,s one of the time honoured methods of the heroic. She believed in something she was willing to die for, and did. That is a life well spent.

Sorry about that- Hit green vice Red.
Again with your hatred of jews and israel- So if you are probably Jewish how many generations back.10, 20 or is it just you bad imagination at work again.

Religion is not hereditary Booger.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
The Israeli military was destroying people's homes and lives. Rachel Corrie acted to try to stop this crime. Americans should be proud Rachel's courage and determination.

As a child:

With her parents

She was a human being who cared about the suffering of others and bravely risked her life for freedom and justice.

A common tactic to stifle criticism of Israeli war crimes and crimes against humanity is to accuse them of antisemitism..

For the record, I don't hate anyone because of their nationality or religion. I believe in holding war criminals and people who commit crimes against humanity accountable for their actions. I am not willing to give Israelis, Jews or anyone else a free pass just because some troll tries to smear me with defamatory labels and smears.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
The Israeli military was destroying people's homes and lives. Rachel Corrie acted to try to stop this crime. Americans should be proud Rachel's courage and determination.

[She was a human being who cared about the suffering of others and bravely risked her life for freedom and justice.

A common tactic to stifle criticism of Israeli war crimes and crimes against humanity is to accuse them of antisemitism..

For the record, I don't hate anyone because of their nationality or religion. I believe in holding war criminals and people who commit crimes against humanity accountable for their actions. I am not willing to give Israelis, Jews or anyone else a free pass just because some troll tries to smear me with defamatory labels and smears.

Well according to your definition we have a substantial infestation of Trolls.
What should we do about that?

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
No its just you who and CB who constantly try too portray me as something I am not. I don't even hate you G. I just find your constant attempts to pin me with an antisemitic label both lame and boring.