CBC embarrassed by the truth over private Jubilee box

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007

Back in June when the state broadcaster travelled to London, England, to cover the Queen's Diamond Jubilee, they went so far as to pay for a private box for a special concert.

The concert featured performances by Paul McCartney, Elton John and Kylie Minogue among others, and was staged in front of Buckingham Palace.

In an e-mail released under access to information, CBC producer Allie Elwell invited Prime Minister Stephen Harper and his director of communications, Andrew MacDougall, to come by the CBC's exclusive location.

"You should come and hang out with us. We have a private box," Elwell wrote.

The CBC did not deny that they had a private box, but in an access to information request on the cost of the box the state broadcaster refused to release the amount.

CBC officials claim that the cost of a swanky private box at a public event to celebrate the Queen is protected information because it touches on their creative, programming or journalistic endeavours.

Sources with knowledge of the event have pegged the cost of a private box for the concert at between $50,000 and $75,000.

video here:

Sun News : CBC embarrassed by the truth over private Jubilee box

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Is this like the time that the Sun and Jason Kenney were embarrassed for airing a fake citizenship ceremony? lol

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Well, CBC, which is it?

A CBC producer invites the prime minister and his communications director, by email, to hang out in their private box at the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee concert. When Brian Lilley reports on this, the CBC snaps back that there was no private box, just a “stand-up position”. Now call me simple-minded if you like, but – having spent some time working at stand-up positions – I would not invite the prime minister to hang out with me at a stand-up position. As the name suggests, there isn’t even a chair there. It’s usually pretty loud. There’s wires everywhere and a camera right in your face. It’s not swanky. At all. So either the CBC producer invented a private box that didn’t exist, or else there was a private box that they’re now not admitting to.
Which is it?

Well, CBC, which is it? « Eye on the Hill

Attagurl Brigette. ;-)

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Well, CBC, which is it?

A CBC producer invites the prime minister and his communications director, by email, to hang out in their private box at the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee concert. When Brian Lilley reports on this, the CBC snaps back that there was no private box, just a “stand-up position”. Now call me simple-minded if you like, but – having spent some time working at stand-up positions – I would not invite the prime minister to hang out with me at a stand-up position. As the name suggests, there isn’t even a chair there. It’s usually pretty loud. There’s wires everywhere and a camera right in your face. It’s not swanky. At all. So either the CBC producer invented a private box that didn’t exist, or else there was a private box that they’re now not admitting to.
Which is it?

Well, CBC, which is it? « Eye on the Hill

Attagurl Brigette. ;-)
The same CBC that crusified Bev Oda for a glass of orange juice tell me it is not so.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Shows not many understand the media cycle. I have been in private box situation for
hockey games, concerts, and special events, in fact I remember covering the Music
Festival circuit at Place like Craven Saskatchewan. The media has a presence there
and entertains there, along with inviting people to interviews and such. I would say there
was a private box and no in the scheme of thing fifty to seventy five grand would not be
out of line for such a facility.
The private sector likely had them too and if you are going to compete you need one.
I dare say there is a private box at the Olympics as well, someone should chase that
down and it will be a hell of a lot more as well, likely a hospitality room. It paid off too
the CBC just got back the Olympic Coverage for the next two announced today and
that is a good thing. See exposure and hospitality rooms, special deals and private
boxes have their place they are not just promotion they are work areas.
Bev Oda on the other hand had first class accommodation she just believed she was a
little more equal than others and her self centered beliefs cost her, her job that is the
difference.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Shows not many understand the media cycle. I have been in private box situation for
hockey games, concerts, and special events, in fact I remember covering the Music
Festival circuit at Place like Craven Saskatchewan. The media has a presence there
and entertains there, along with inviting people to interviews and such. I would say there
was a private box and no in the scheme of thing fifty to seventy five grand would not be
out of line for such a facility.
The private sector likely had them too and if you are going to compete you need one.
I dare say there is a private box at the Olympics as well, someone should chase that
down and it will be a hell of a lot more as well, likely a hospitality room. It paid off too
the CBC just got back the Olympic Coverage for the next two announced today and
that is a good thing. See exposure and hospitality rooms, special deals and private
boxes have their place they are not just promotion they are work areas.
Bev Oda on the other hand had first class accommodation she just believed she was a
little more equal than others and her self centered beliefs cost her, her job that is the
difference.
50,000.00 to 75,000.00 for CBC ok
16.00 for cabinet minister outragous.
That outrage cost her job but your taxes are still paying her way.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Ah so...it was a 'joke'. Ahhh.

Then why didn't the douchebags just say that when their release was challenged? Makes the CBCers look more and more like arseholes. Not to mention Lilley's report was still spot-on based on what the clowns gave up. A pathetic waste of tax-payer funds these spastics.

OTTAWA - A day after attacking a Sun News Network personality for reporting information the CBC released that the state broadcaster had a private box at the Queen's Jubilee concert in June, the network switched gears Wednesday and said the whole thing was a joke on the Prime Minister's Office.

The CBC now says there was never a $75,000 box - just an $18,000 position for a gaggle of staffers - to film and watch a parade of stars and other luminaries fete the Queen in London, England.

The climb down came a day after the CBC challenged the contents of its own information it released to QMI under the Access to Information Act that showed an e-mail exchange between the broadcaster's Allie Elwell and Andrew MacDougall, communications director for Prime Minister Stephen Harper, in which she extended an invitation to the private box to watch the star-studded concert.
"You should come hang out with us," Elwell wrote to MacDougall. "We have a private box."

After QMI's Brian Lilley reported the exchange, the CBC published a post on its website accusing the journalist of distorting the facts - when the only facts reported were the ones released by the broadcaster, which receives $1.2 billion annually in public funds. The CBC did not use its website to explain Elwell's e-mail was a joke.

Nor was there was anything in the e-mails themselves identifying them as a joke, which raises serious questions about access laws being flouted.

Marco Dube, corporate spokesman for the CBC, said Elwell's invitation to MacDougall "was never meant to be taken seriously."
"Essentially, she was joking," he said.

CBC says its Queen's Jubilee private box was a joke | Canada | News | Toronto Sun

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
My cable bill cost me blah blah per month for NBlah blah to get a box. My cable bill would be lower and I'd see far less ****ty commercials if....

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
OTTAWA - A day after attacking a Sun News Network personality for reporting information the CBC released that the state broadcaster had a private box at the Queen's Jubilee concert in June, the network switched gears Wednesday and said the whole thing was a joke on the Prime Minister's Office.
Ahhh, just a joke. Now that's broadcasting leadership worth fight for...

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Probably good union brothers and sisters all. Gotta love'em.

And the CBC wonders why Harpo the Great wants to axe'm.

Give us more PARADES!!!

We need more PARADES!!!

:canada::blob5:

If I have to watch another special on the War of 1812, I think I'm going to puke blood.