Canada’s Oil, the World’s Carbon

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007

Cabbagesandking

Council Member
Apr 24, 2012
Ontario
What Canada does with her energy resources is strictly a matter for the Canadian people to determine. Period.
No it is not. That is about the same as saying that what Iran, or North Korea, does with its nuclear programme is for their own people to decide. There are consequences that affect the world.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Well if it is so important to the rest of the world why is there a lineup of prospective customers for our oil exports? Seems like the only people against exporting our oil are the idle rich in Canada.

No it is not. That is about the same as saying that what Iran, or North Korea, does with its nuclear programme is for their own people to decide. There are consequences that affect the world.

And the US Nu Clear program?

Cabbagesandking

Council Member
Apr 24, 2012
Ontario
Well if it is so important to the rest of the world why is there a lineup of prospective customers for our oil exports? Seems like the only people against exporting our oil are the idle rich in Canada.

And the US Nu Clear program?

There is no such lineup. Just a couple of the worst polluters. The rest of the world is getting quite fed up with the Tar sands irresponsible development.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
There is no such lineup. Just a couple of the worst polluters. The rest of the world is getting quite fed up with the Tar sands irresponsible development.

Only in your mind.
Most of Asia is interested and has been investing in the oil sands. I would call that a sizable portion of the world. More importantly most of them have CASH. That makes their opinion important.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004

and who would these "worst" polluters be?

Via sda:

The Gray Lady's Knickers Really Knotted Over "Tar Sands"

We are Canada, destroyer of the world!
Canada’s Oil, the World’s Carbon ...the climate question must be addressed, if only to give a full accounting of the range of consequences of developing the tar sands, an effort in which the United States will be complicit [emphasis added--guilty! guilty! guilty!] if it allows the pipeline...

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/30/opinion/canadas-oil-the-worlds-carbon.html

I personally, have no problem not selling oil to the states. There's plenty of other buyers out there. If the americans want to continue to rely on the ME for oil, have at er.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Only in your mind.
Most of Asia is interested and has been investing in the oil sands. I would call that a sizable portion of the world. More importantly most of them have CASH. That makes their opinion important.

And we should deny the takeover of Nexen on strategic -economics goals for Canada-

skookumchuck

Council Member
Jan 19, 2012
Van Isle
An American news outlet is decrying a project that was started by American corporations hiding behind a Canadian "front" aka Great Canadians Oil Sands. Owned mostly by Sun Oil. I worked there at startup in 1965/66 and was sent to Sun Oil's Marcus Hook refinery in Pennsylvania for a training course.
Screw the Kenyan's wrecking ball administration and the goats they rode in on.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Actually what we do with our oil is our business and the world should keep their nose
out of our business. As for North Korea or Iran they are sovereign states and if they
want to have nuclear energy that is in fact their business. I watch the world who thinks
they can tell one country they can have it and others cannot. The days of America
throwing their weight around is just about over, what is the saying? Oh your fifteen
minutes of fame is about up.
If these countries go beyond threats in the region then wipe them out but in the mean
time mind our own business

BaalsTears

Senate Member
Jan 25, 2011
Santa Cruz, California
What Canada does with its tar sands project must perforce be solely a Canadian matter if Canadian sovereignty is to have any meaning. American denial of permits for the Keystone XL program is very foolish and contrary to America's national interest. America will suffer for this foolishness.

Cabbagesandking

Council Member
Apr 24, 2012
Ontario
Actually what we do with our oil is our business and the world should keep their nose
out of our business. As for North Korea or Iran they are sovereign states and if they
want to have nuclear energy that is in fact their business. I watch the world who thinks
they can tell one country they can have it and others cannot. The days of America
throwing their weight around is just about over, what is the saying? Oh your fifteen
minutes of fame is about up.
If these countries go beyond threats in the region then wipe them out but in the mean
time mind our own business

Where does that logic lead? If Canada goes beyond threats to Canada, then wipe it out. The emissions from the oil sands threaten the world.
Europe plans, and is on track, to achieve a 50% reduction in emissions by 2025 (against 1990 emissions). Canada plans (pretends to plan) for a smaller increase than it now produces against 1990 emissions by 2020 and is on track for a bigger one due to the Oil sands.

But it is our own business!

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
We hope, of course, that the State Department is rigorous in addressing all relevant questions: whether America needs this oil now or in the future; how many jobs the pipeline will actually provide. The department will also be asking about the danger of oil spills. But its report will be incomplete if it does not also consider what the oil flowing through the Keystone XL would spill into the skies — both now and in the future.

FUKK OFF USA!!! We can sell our Oil to China, you keep buying your oil from Saudi Arabia & Venezuela so you can fund the next terrorists 9/11.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Where does that logic lead? If Canada goes beyond threats to Canada, then wipe it out. The emissions from the oil sands threaten the world.
Europe plans, and is on track, to achieve a 50% reduction in emissions by 2025 (against 1990 emissions). Canada plans (pretends to plan) for a smaller increase than it now produces against 1990 emissions by 2020 and is on track for a bigger one due to the Oil sands.

But it is our own business!

AND MOST OF EUROPE IS AN ECONOMIC BASKET CASE. You really want to follow their lead?

The greenies have a funny way of accounting for emissions. All emissions caused by extracting resources should be attributed to the CONSUMER nation, not the producer. Then all of a sudden Canada with such a huge land mass and miniscule population rightfully becomes one of the lowest polluters. After all with no waiting market there is no extraction.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
That's not very nice.

Wasn't trying to be.. the USA has a bad habit of interfearing in other nations politics, great examples are Haiti, Mexico, and so on..

They need Canadian oil.. they need Canadian resources.. period. There is already a Keystone XL pipleine in place..this just expands their ability to supply more..

What they need to do I run a parallel line to the exsisting one and avoid all the fuss..

BaalsTears

Senate Member
Jan 25, 2011
Santa Cruz, California
Wasn't trying to be.. the USA has a bad habit of interfearing in other nations politics, great examples are Haiti, Mexico, and so on..

First of all, Mexico has paid America back in spades. Mexican pistoleros run wild where I live. I don't owe those bastards a goddamn thing. I favor a very small federal govt. in America. Little govts. aren't in a position to constrain individual liberty at home or to conduct adventurous policies abroad.

They need Canadian oil.. they need Canadian resources.. period. There is already a Keystone XL pipleine in place..this just expands their ability to supply more..

More than anything else, America needs a miracle.

What they need to do I run a parallel line to the exsisting one and avoid all the fuss..

I agree.