Crown requests jail for man who had Uzi in garage

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
A one-year jail sentence for possessing an Uzi would be going "overboard," says the defence lawyer for a 58-year-old man who was found with the weapon after a domestic dispute call.

Greg Mitchell Fertuck got into a drunken argument with his wife on Oct. 23, 2011, grabbing her and dragging her from the room, Saskatoon provincial court heard Thursday.

Police who responded were informed there were guns in the Saskatoon residence and Fertuck's son led them to the detached garage, where they found an Uzi mini-carbine weapon, an empty high-capacity magazine and a pouch with four high-capacity 25-round magazines - as well as a .303-calibre bolt-action rifle and a .22-calibre pump-action rifle.

Fertuck pleaded guilty to assault, possessing a firearm without a licence, careless use of a firearm and possessing a prohibited weapon.

The Crown recommended a year in jail for Fertuck, which defence lawyer Morris Bodnar strenuously disagreed with.

"I believe the Crown has gone overboard ... for a man who in effect has no convictions," Bodnar said during sentencing arguments.

Bodnar alleged it was Fertuck's wife, a truck driver, who brought the Uzi into the house. Uzi submachine guns, manufactured in Israel, can be imported into the U.S. and "a small number" of them find their way into Canada, Bodnar said. They are a prohibited weapon in Canada.

Bodnar argued for a non-custodial sentence for Fertuck. Noncustodial sentences can include probation or conditional sentence orders, served in the community.

He said a jail sentence was too harsh, noting the Uzi wasn't brandished in a threatening manner nor used in the commission of an offence.

Prosecutor Barbara Herder said the protection of the public factored into the Crown's position, emphasizing the danger of a submachine-gun lying unsecured in a garage.

Although Fertuck didn't have any convictions on his record, he was previously before the court in 2010 on a domestic violence charge after he threatened his wife with a handgun.

He went through the court's domestic violence program at that time.

On the most recent incident, the son told police he knew there were weapons on the premises because his father had alluded at one point that during the last incident, police didn't get all the guns in the house.

Herder argued for one year in jail followed by one year of probation that would include a provision that Fertuck abstain from alcohol and drugs and undergo addiction assessment and treatment as recommended.

Bodnar said there is no question alcohol abuse is an issue Fertuck has to deal with and recommended personal counselling.

Judge Sheila Whelan reserved her decision on sentencing until early next month.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Isn't there a mandatory minimum for that sort of thing? Not that it is a good idea or anything.

I don't know if there is any kind of mandatory minimum but he seems to be charged with things that didn't happen. After the
recent happenings in Toronto and Colorado, the courts are going to be supersensitive about anything even remotely connected
with guns.

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
I don't know if there is any kind of mandatory minimum but he seems to be charged with things that didn't happen. After the
recent happenings in Toronto and Colorado, the courts are going to be supersensitive about anything even remotely connected
with guns.

Possession of a prohibited weapon was the charge, I assumed? Was it not?

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
A one-year jail sentence for possessing an Uzi would be going "overboard," says the defence lawyer for a 58-year-old man who was found with the weapon after a domestic dispute call.

Greg Mitchell Fertuck got into a drunken argument with his wife on Oct. 23, 2011, grabbing her and dragging her from the room, Saskatoon provincial court heard Thursday.

Police who responded were informed there were guns in the Saskatoon residence and Fertuck's son led them to the detached garage, where they found an Uzi mini-carbine weapon, an empty high-capacity magazine and a pouch with four high-capacity 25-round magazines - as well as a .303-calibre bolt-action rifle and a .22-calibre pump-action rifle.

Fertuck pleaded guilty to assault, possessing a firearm without a licence, careless use of a firearm and possessing a prohibited weapon.

The Crown recommended a year in jail for Fertuck, which defence lawyer Morris Bodnar strenuously disagreed with.

"I believe the Crown has gone overboard ... for a man who in effect has no convictions," Bodnar said during sentencing arguments.

Bodnar alleged it was Fertuck's wife, a truck driver, who brought the Uzi into the house. Uzi submachine guns, manufactured in Israel, can be imported into the U.S. and "a small number" of them find their way into Canada, Bodnar said. They are a prohibited weapon in Canada.

Bodnar argued for a non-custodial sentence for Fertuck. Noncustodial sentences can include probation or conditional sentence orders, served in the community.

He said a jail sentence was too harsh, noting the Uzi wasn't brandished in a threatening manner nor used in the commission of an offence.

Prosecutor Barbara Herder said the protection of the public factored into the Crown's position, emphasizing the danger of a submachine-gun lying unsecured in a garage.

Although Fertuck didn't have any convictions on his record, he was previously before the court in 2010 on a domestic violence charge after he threatened his wife with a handgun.

He went through the court's domestic violence program at that time.

On the most recent incident, the son told police he knew there were weapons on the premises because his father had alluded at one point that during the last incident, police didn't get all the guns in the house.

Herder argued for one year in jail followed by one year of probation that would include a provision that Fertuck abstain from alcohol and drugs and undergo addiction assessment and treatment as recommended.

Bodnar said there is no question alcohol abuse is an issue Fertuck has to deal with and recommended personal counselling.

Judge Sheila Whelan reserved her decision on sentencing until early next month.

I sincerely doubt the piece was full auto. It was probably a semi-auto version.

There is a two year minimum for possession of a prohibited weapon, I believe. Why that has not come up, I don't know.

I hate to see a man's life wrecked because he possesses an inanimate object, but this guy does seem to be a loose cannon, as he had previously threatened her with a handgun. That would be the deciding factor for me.

Off to jail.

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
I sincerely doubt the piece was full auto. It was probably a semi-auto version.

There is a two year minimum for possession of a prohibited weapon, I believe. Why that has not come up, I don't know.

I hate to see a man's life wrecked because he possesses an inanimate object, but this guy does seem to be a loose cannon, as he had previously threatened her with a handgun. That would be the deciding factor for me.

Off to jail.

I thought 2 years was the maximum for a prohibited weapon, or did they increase it? I just think it is ridiculous for it to be flat our prohibited; as a restricted weapon, he would still be in trouble for having it laying around the garage.