Tornado lifts home with man in it

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Tornado lifts home with man in it

By QMI Agency

What appeared to be a tornado ripped a Saskatchewan house from its foundations on Saturday and threw it 20 feet with the owner still inside.
Bill Kopach, 72, told Prince Albert NOW that he was standing by his front window in his Smeaton, Sask., house and watching the clouds form into what looked like a tornado when the gales plucked his home from the foundation and shattered it.
"I was kind of watching the neighbours because that's where I started to see it and in no time it was in our place already," Kopach said. "It knocked a window against my head."
His home and his farm were destroyed, but Kopach suffered only minor injuries.
Winds of more than 110 km/h knocked down trees and destroyed farm machinery in Smeaton over the weekend. Smeaton is located about 220 km northeast of Saskatoon.
Residents are calling it a tornado, but Environment Canada hasn't yet confirmed that assessment.

"In order for Environment Canada to confirm a tornado, they need some kind of evidence — whether that be from photos or videos or from data collected in a damage survey," Weather Network meteorologist Gina Ressler said. "If they've received a lot of damage reports that they think might have been caused by a tornado, they'll send out a survey team."
Residents also reported seeing a tornado Saturday night near Emma Lake, Sask., located about 195 km north of Saskatoon.

Tornado lifts home with man in it - Canada - Canoe.ca

This is the part that I love.

Residents are calling it a tornado, but Environment Canada hasn't yet confirmed that assessment.

"In order for Environment Canada to confirm a tornado, they need some kind of evidence
Evidence? Like maybe a house being 20 feet away from where you last left it? 8O

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
This is the part that I love.

It was obviously a weather event. The storm on 06/29 that did all that damage on the eastern seaboard had no tornados but some weird named phenomenum simular to a sideways tornado. The weather geeks just get all uppity about the phenomenum being properly labeled and classified. The rest of us are satisfied calling it a tornado and moving on.

Its why when you watch a weatherman on the weather network who is actually a meteorologist always gets excited when talking about the most boring of phenominum. While the rest of us just say "Oh, so I need an umbrella".

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
It was obviously a weather event.

Yes but it's not officially official until they say so.

The storm on 06/29 that did all that damage on the eastern seaboard had no tornados but some weird named phenomenum simular to a sideways tornado. The weather geeks just get all uppity about the phenomenum being properly labeled and classified. The rest of us are satisfied calling it a tornado and moving on.

Its why when you watch a weatherman on the weather network who is actually a meteorologist always gets excited when talking about the most boring of phenominum. While the rest of us just say "Oh, so I need an umbrella".
Pfft, weather geeks. We can take them. We'll just whack them with our umbrellas. :)

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Lets see... guy phones wife and says "tornado over the farm" wife goes in basement with grandkids, house is destoyed people emerge from basement to find farm trashed. Nope no tornado there.

55Mercury

rigid member
May 31, 2007
It was obviously a weather event. The storm on 06/29 that did all that damage on the eastern seaboard had no tornados but some weird named phenomenum simular to a sideways tornado. The weather geeks just get all uppity about the phenomenum being properly labeled and classified. The rest of us are satisfied calling it a tornado and moving on.

Phenomenon - YouTube

Just wondering if doug intentionally misspelt the word to avoid seeing those annoying muppets. :?P

Last edited:

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
I have remembered tornadoes when I grew up there in the 60s, 70s and 80s. Its what you expect when you place a nice flat surface, clear skies and a hot sun baking on that all day. Whether this year is more than normal, can't say.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
I have remembered tornadoes when I grew up there in the 60s, 70s and 80s. Its what you expect when you place a nice flat surface, clear skies and a hot sun baking on that all day. Whether this year is more than normal, can't say.

Well living in Texas, I witnessed plenty, including the Tornado that hit Ft. Worth (and sucked a man out of the 30th floor highrise office bldg.).. but I always thought it was more contained to the lower U.S. states, and less in Canada.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
See! Clearly it does happen. I don't know what Environment Canada is going on about! ;)

Why? Are you related to the wicked witch of the west?8O LOL.

i'm the wicked warlock of the east. ;) :p

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Current "tornado watch"....

Skies are clearing slowly throughout parts of Saskatchewan as showers and thunderstorms from this morning slowly move eastward. As temperatures rise with the sunshine, a cold front stretching from east-Central Alberta through Southern Saskatchewan to the international border will serve to trigger further thunderstorms this afternoon. Some of these storms will likely be severe, with large hail..Damaging winds..Torrential rainfall..And frequent lightning. An isolated tornado is also not out of the question.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss

We once had a tornado hit up north.... all the residents told of the big bad funnel cloud that ripped up the town. But, no one got pictures, and there was no 'proof' of swirling wind so enviro canada labeled it a 'straight line wind event'. it pisses people off to this day that a town full of witnesses does not count as proof.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Border Collie? For a Mid-Size, they can be fiercely protective of their Family.

Lol. No idea, it was the first fierce growling dog picture I came across.

I couldn't leave the "I'll get you my pretty and your little dog too..." quip un-responded now could I? ;) LOL

We once had a tornado hit up north.... all the residents told of the big bad funnel cloud that ripped up the town. But, no one got pictures, and there was no 'proof' of swirling wind so enviro canada labeled it a 'straight line wind event'. it pisses people off to this day that a town full of witnesses does not count as proof.

That's just nuts! If enough people see it, I'd say call it.

There are far more in northern SK over the boreal than in the south. You can see the swaths when flying over.

2 tornados touched down east of Regina (Balgonie) about an hour ago

Yikes! Any damage reports yet?