Father Denies Daughter Her Make-A-Wish Dream

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
(This one won't be as long as my previous post.)

Father who denied cancer survivor daughter Make-A-Wish Disneyland trip breaks silence as girl receives $12,000 in donations from well-wishers

Read more: McKenna May: Four-year-old cancer survivor denied Make-A-Wish trip to Disneyland by her father WILL go after online donations | Mail Online

---------------------------------------

Personally, I don't have a problem with her going to Disneyland via the Make-A-Wish Foundation. With all that poor 4 year old has gone through, and the fact that the charities themselves have said that she fit the criteria to be given the donations/trip, I think she should be allowed to go. The parents are going through some acrimonious times right now, and it seems like the little girl is the one who is stuck in the middle, and made to suffer for it.

And she won't even be officially declared cancer-free for 5 more years! I hope it doesn't happen, but the cancer could always come back in that time, and the next time it happened the girl may be too sick to even be able to go on the trip before she passes on(which I truly hope does NOT happen and that she remains cancer-free for the rest of her life).

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
What a dink!

I have to agree with you there. Regardless of what is going on between yourself and your (ex)spouse, you should NEVER take it out on your child/children. That just smacks of douchebaggery.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
The father seems like a vindictive dickwad to me. Who is he to determine the criteria by which the Make a Wish Foundation determines who should be the beneficiary of their gifts? I'd say she deserves a bit of happiness after all she's been through.

This smells like petty vengeance. I hope she gets the trip of a lifetime.

What a dink!

He's a Norberto king dink! Ha!

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
The father seems like a vindictive dickwad to me. Who is he to determine the criteria by which the Make a Wish Foundation determines who should be the beneficiary of their gifts? I'd say she deserves a bit of happiness after all she's been through.

This smells like petty vengeance. I hope she gets the trip of a lifetime.

He's a Norberto king dink! Ha!

It sounds like she will be able to go. It looks like at least $12000 has been donated so far. I also think that the father may change his mind about allowing the girl to go after all this negative publicity, and the Make-A-Wish donations may be able to get used as well/instead.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
It's an interesting question.

Most of you seem to feel that a father should have no say in what charitable things are given to his daughter, or by whom.

It's certainly a question that leads to debate.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007

Most of you seem to feel that a father should have no say in what charitable things are given to his daughter, or by whom.

It's not that I don't feel that the father should have no say in the matter, but the fact of the matter is that going on this trip wouldn't hurt his daughter at all, and in the long run may help her psychologically(she's already been through so much in only 4 years of life). I can see his problem if this would be in an way detrimental to his daughter, but it wouldn't be.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa

It depends on his motivations which are in question. If he was saying "no" because it would harm his daughter it would make sense. Saying "no" to piss off an ex is just petty and childish.