Albertans among worst drivers in Canada, poll suggests

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com

Albertans are some of the worst drivers in the country, according to a new poll from Angus Reid.

The online survey of about a thousand Canadians, found nine out of 10 people have seen a driver talking on a cell phone while behind the wheel.

Alberta topped the national average with 94 per cent of respondents saying they've witnessed a driver using a hand-held cell phone in their car.

Drivers and passengers in Alberta also seem to throw litter out of their vehicle more than any other province.

Fifty-eight per cent of the people who answered the survey saw motorists littering in the last month — that's compared to the national average of 46 per cent.

Drivers in Alberta also multitask and run red lights more than those in any other province.

The survey suggests many Albertans are more likely to curse at a bad driver than shake their fist or wave their arms.

Angus Reid surveyed 1,001 people in June. The results are considered accurate within 3.1 percentage points 19 times out of 20.

Source & Video: Albertans among worst drivers in Canada, poll suggests - Calgary - CBC News

///////////////////////////////////////

Personally I think the worst drivers are, BC drivers.. at least in Canada.

North America, EASY!! Washington DC.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Yeah, beautiful sunny day, 85F outside.. yet there is always someone that is able to find that one icy spot on the road and end up in the ditch..

Coquihalla hwy 5, BC

Over 1,000,000 miles under my belt.. I have seen lots of accident.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I don't know about all of Alberta, but I do know while driving in Calgary if you signal to change lanes (and I always do a couple of seconds before I have to move over) they will NOT take their foot off the throttle for two seconds to let you in.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
I don't think declaring one province or another as having the worst drivers is particularly helpful. However, as an Albertan driver I notice the following behaviours on a daliy basis.
* Few drivers signal lane changes, and a significant percentage do not signal turns.
* Stop signs are treated as yield signs.
* Drivers accelerate to prevent other drivers from changing lanes.
* Highway speed limits are at least 20 km/h less than the average driver's speed. 30 km/h above posted speed is common.
* Tailgating is a common practice to bully drivers to switch lanes.
* Chatting on cell phones or texting while driving has become part of the culture.
^ Shoulder checking has become passe.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I don't think declaring one province or another as having the worst drivers is particularly helpful. However, as an Albertan driver I notice the following behaviours on a daliy basis.
* Few drivers signal lane changes, and a significant percentage do not signal turns.
^ Stop signs are treated as yield signs.
* Highway speed limits are at least 20 km/h less than the average driver's speed. 30 km/h above posted speed is common.
^ Tailgating is a common practice to bully drivers to switch lanes.
* Chatting on cell phones or texting while driving has become part of the culture.

Right on, especially accelerating to prevent other drivers from changing lanes.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
I detest those kind folk who decide to pass at the very end of passing lanes - and have called in plate numbers so the bad habit can be corrected.

Lousy drivers are everywhere. Dad once told me to drive like I was the only one out there with brains. It's amazing how many times he's been right.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
You obviously haven't driven in Markham or Missisauga ontario or on the 401 through Toronto..................

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
You obviously haven't driven in Markham or Missisauga ontario or on the 401 through Toronto..................

For what reason would I want to do something like that?

I detest those kind folk who decide to pass at the very end of passing lanes - and have called in plate numbers so the bad habit can be corrected.

Lousy drivers are everywhere. Dad once told me to drive like I was the only one out there with brains. It's amazing how many times he's been right.

And then there are the idiots who risk their lives, you life and everyone elses to pass you and then half a mile down the road turn off into their driveway! Seen that a couple of times!

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
* Stop signs are treated as yield signs.
* Tailgating is a common practice to bully drivers to switch lanes.
I notice all that in all provinces.

For what reason would I want to do something like that?
The shear excitement of taking your life in your hands, lol.