Pentagon, CIA Sued for Lethal Drone Attacks on U.S. Citizens

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com

Survivors of three Americans killed by targeted drone attacks in Yemen last year sued top-ranking members of the United States government, alleging Wednesday they illegally killed the three, including a 16-year-old boy, in violation of international human rights law and the U.S. Constitution.

“The government has killed three Americans. It should account for its actions. This case gives us an opportunity to do that,” Jameel Jaffer, deputy legal director with the American Civil Liberties Union, said in a press call.

The suit, (.pdf) is being litigated by the Center for Constitutional Rights and the ACLU. It seeks unspecified damages and highlights the government’s so-called unmanned “targeted killing” program. The ACLU and the Center maintain the drone attacks have killed thousands, including hundreds of innocent bystanders overseas. (Other estimates of the campaign come to widely different conclusions.)

The suit, the first of its kind, alleges the United States was not engaged in an armed conflict with or within Yemen, prohibiting the use of lethal force unless “at the time it is applied, lethal force is a last resort to protect against a concrete, specific, and imminent threat of death or serious physical injury.” The case directly challenges the government’s decision to kill Americans without judicial scrutiny.

At bottom, Jaffer said, “the question is whether the government is justified in killing without charging them or trying them for anything.”
The suit is brought on behalf of Anwar Al-Awlaki, a radical cleric and a native of New Mexico. He was originally known for his incendiary blog and YouTube videos. But according to the Obama administration, Awlaki’s role morphed from marketer to operational planner and recruiter for al-Qaida in the Arabian Peninsula. U.S. authorities claim he had contacts with the 9/11 hijackers, the underwear bomber and others.

He was killed Sept. 30 last year. Also killed was Samir Khan, the editor of the English magazine Inspire, which allegedly was published by Al-Qaida in the Arabian Peninsula.

Two weeks later, the cleric’s 16-year-old son, Abdulrahman Al-Awlaki, was killed in a separate Yemen attack.

The defendants include Defense Secretary Leon Panetta, CIA Director David Petraeus, U.S. Navy Adm. William H. McRaven and U.S. Army Maj. Gen. Joseph Votel.

Citing U.S. officials, the Washington Post has reported that the son and Khan were not intended targets.

The Justice Department did not immediately respond for comment. The administration refuses to release the Justice Department memo that legally justifies targeting Americans, and according to the New York Times, President Obama approves or denies who gets added to the “kill list.”

But Attorney General Eric Holder said in a March speech at Northwestern University Law School that “Our legal authority is not limited to the battlefields in Afghanistan.” He said the legal authority Congress passed following the Sept. 11, 2001 terror attacks covers Yemen and Somalia, where other unmanned drone attacks have been carried out.

Holder said the administration takes action with “the consent of the nation involved or after a determination that the nation is unable or unwilling to deal effectively with a threat to the United States.”

In another suit, the ACLU is invoking the Freedom of Information Act seeking details of the government’s drone program. In that case, the CIA refuses to confirm or deny the covert military use of drones to kill suspected terrorists overseas.

source: Pentagon, CIA Sued for Lethal Drone Attacks on U.S. Citizens | Threat Level | Wired.com

BaalsTears

Senate Member
Jan 25, 2011
Santa Cruz, California
President Obama is a drone warrior. He takes no prisoners. Obama doesn't even identify most of the people he drones to death. Pattern recognition software is used...if someone makes the wrong move...he gets droned. This is something new in history.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
President Obama is a drone warrior. He takes no prisoners. Obama doesn't even identify most of the people he drones to death. Pattern recognition software is used...if someone makes the wrong move...he gets droned. This is something new in history.

What's better, sending in troops on the ground that will get killed. If technology is there to use, use it..

I guess you can say, it gives new meaning to; "I've Got A Bullet With Your Name On It!" lol

BaalsTears

Senate Member
Jan 25, 2011
Santa Cruz, California
What's better, sending in troops on the ground that will get killed. If technology is there to use, use it..

I guess you can say, it gives new meaning to; "I've Got A Bullet With Your Name On It!" lol

There is a time and a place for all things under heaven. Considering American political culture in its current phase the best approach is not to engage. Americans are more interested in fighting each other than in overseas terrorists. Besides, Obama didn't get congressional approval to roam the world with killer robots as he is now doing.

I would love to see Barack Obama marched into the dock at the Hague, tried, and imprisoned for the remainder of his life without possibility of parole. Let him be a living, breathing symbol of what happens to war criminals.

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands

Plus, sending troops into a funeral is more than just poor taste... someone might be able to escape!

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
If the people who survived in Yemen were with terrorists or were terrorists
operating out of that country they got what they deserved. If the survivors
return to America they should be charged with consorting with the enemy
or treason either would do. I do not think the governments court system
should be taken up with nonsense like this.
If you go to a war zone and you are in the company of those being targeted
you are going to get droned. I am all for the use of drones to kill these
miserable excuses for human beings. Remember the terrorists don't take
boarders into account so neither should those who are fighting them. As for
invading airspace of other nations, well if they harbour terrorists they should
expect some fallout.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
There is a time and a place for all things under heaven.

aagh! Now I understand why you're a Republican.. and hate Obama.. :roll:

I would love to see Barack Obama marched into the dock at the Hague, tried, and imprisoned for the remainder of his life without possibility of parole. Let him be a living, breathing symbol of what happens to war criminals.

Yeah, yeah.. and many people feel the same about George Bush and Dick Cheney. Whatever, total B.S. for both..

Now if Romney were doing drone attacks, I bet I would not hear a peep out of you..

BaalsTears

Senate Member
Jan 25, 2011
Santa Cruz, California
aagh! Now I understand why you're a Republican.. and hate Obama.. :roll:

I'm not a Republican. They're a bunch of weak sisters. I'm a Party of One.

Yeah, yeah.. and many people feel the same about George Bush and Dick Cheney. Whatever, total B.S. for both..

Look at the matter legalistically. Bush and Cheney had Congressional approval for the invasions of Iraq and Afghanistan. Bush and Cheney only made rare drone attacks over Pakistan and only made one attack in Yemen.

Obama has employed drone warfare as a military tactic on an ongoing basis. This is something new in history. Robot warfare on a large scale basis. Imo America should generally avoid foreign intervention except in extraordinary circumstances. However, Obama has adopted an entirely new strategy for reaching out around the Middle East, Central Asia and the Indian Ocean. If I can see Obama in the stockade I have no problem with Bush and Cheney joining him.

Now if Romney were doing drone attacks, I bet I would not hear a peep out of you..

If Romney is elected the American and International left will begin an immediate campaign against him and America for engaging in the same policies that they were silent on when Obama adopted and used them.

It doesn't seem to have occurred to any one that the drone war precedent set by Obama and America will be used by other powers in other contexts in the future.