Census shows record rise in population for England and Wales

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Figures have just been released from last year's UK census and they show a record rise in population for England and Wales.

Whitechapel, London: England has Europe's fourth-fastest growing population, mainly due to immigration

The census shows that England and Wales now has a population of 56.1 million - an increase of a whopping 3.7 million since the previous census of 2001.

This marks the largest growth in population in any 10-year period since the first Census in 1801, and a rise of approximately 50% since 1911.

In total, England's population has now risen to 53 million, Wales' has risen to 3.06 million and Northern Ireland's increased to 1.8 million. Figures for Scotland will be released later in the year. London's population has grown by 12% since 2001 and now stands at over 8 million, which makes it the world's ninth-largest city. It is estimated that the total UK population now stands at 63.1 million.

Incredibly, England has the fourth-fastest growing population in the whole of Europe. Wales has Europe's tenth-fastest growing population.

It's also revealed that 55% of the UK's population growth was due to immigration - a damning indictment of the previous Labour government's open door policy.

Figures released in recent years show that the UK is well on its way to overtaking Germany as the country with Europe's largest population after Russia.

Read more: http://news.sky.com/...e-in-population

The Old Medic

Council Member
May 16, 2010
The World
It is my understanding that the policy of the British government is to cap population at 70 million.

And just what is the source of this "understanding". Please refer us to any Government document, study or Parliamentary study that indicates any desire by the government to "cap" the population.

Cabbagesandking

Council Member
Apr 24, 2012
Ontario
The source is simply that I read things and do not prattle about sources. What I posted is a fact that I read probably a couple of years ago. I have no intention of trying to find a government pronouncement.