Ernest Borgnine dies

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Ernest Borgnine, the beefy screen star known for blustery, often villainous roles, but who won the best-actor Oscar for playing against type as a lovesick butcher in "Marty" in 1955, died Sunday. He was 95.

His longtime spokesman, Harry Flynn, told The Associated Press that Borgnine died at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center with his family by his side.

Television fans loved Borgnine as the scheming Navy officer in the sitcom "McHale's Navy." Borgnine was also known as the heavy who beats up Frank Sinatra in "From Here to Eternity" and one of the thugs who menaces Spencer Tracy in "Bad Day at Block Rock."

Oscar-winning film star Ernest Borgnine dies - MSN Movies News

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
95! Long life! And he was in a film I saw just last year or the year before, so it doesn't seem like age slowed him down at all.

Rest in Peace.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Marty is such a great show. McHale's Navy is one of the best shows of the 60's and his guest on the Simpsons is priceless. RIP

Vancouverite

Electoral Member
Dec 23, 2011
Hmm, I keep reading of so many of my childhood actors dying that I thought he went a long time ago. But I guess he didn't, until now.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Ernie was part of the social fabric of our lives really, even though he didn't
make movies anymore he was often referred to and in some case mimicked
I think in the long run he made the world a better place and for that we
remember him

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
One of my favourite villains. Interestingly, he was much more like his McHale's Navy personality than the thugs her played.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
One of my favourite villains. Interestingly, he was much more like his McHale's Navy personality than the thugs her played.

I was just thinking that despite the fact he played so many heavies, he always struck me as being so jovial and friendly. Something about the way his whole face would light up when he smiled. He just beamed sincerity.

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
So many film appearances. So many TV cameo/guest stars. He really was one of a kind. 95 is a good long life but I agree that he will be missed.