Texas Town Bans Flags on Veterans’ Graves

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Texas town bans display of flags on veterans' graves just in time for 4th of July

via Fark

A Texas town is reconsidering a controversial ordinance that it approved earlier this month that would ban the displaying of flags at gravesites.

The ordinance, approved by the City Council of Mineral Wells, states that flags would be allowed on graves at the town’s Woodland Park Cemetery only one week before and after Memorial Day and Veterans’ Day. July 4 and Labor Day, other popular flag holidays, were not part of the approved time frame.

After citizens expressed outrage, flooding the city council office with calls Monday, the council scheduled a public meeting for July 10 to reconsider the new flag policy.

more

Texas Town Bans Flags on Veterans’ Graves - ABC News

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I don't blame them. Cemeteries end up looking like **** when well meaning families festoon gravesites and then forget about them. Put a time limit on it, and then you're not an asshole for stripping down tattered, sunbleached, rotting crap.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Yes I think it is more so the piles of stuff that is left out there rather than the American flag. They even collect that stuff up at Arlington and only put flags out around Memorial Day I believe.

Personally... I like seeing that stuff. In my opinion it puts a little life into who is buried beneath. A pack of gum, a hotwheel, a banner of a sports team. But that is just my opionion. I can see why some people want this stuff cleaned up.