N.M. cops not allowed to carry guns

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Another candidate for the 'Odd News' request forum:

Freight trains still rumble through Vaughn, NM just like they have since the 1800s. There are two schools, and a couple of bars and restaurants. Hoteliers still rent rooms to travelers even though few tourists stay overnight.

There’s little traffic and not much crime in this sleepy little town that 500 people call home.

Ranchers, farmers and business owners all support the second amendment.

Many own guns.

But not everyone in town has the right to carry a firearm - including the city’s only two police officers.

After run-ins with the law, both lawmen’s holsters are empty.

New Mexico State Police arrested Vaughn Police Chief Ernest “Chris” Armijo last summer after a grand jury in Texas indicted him for criminal nonsupport of his ex-wife and two young sons.

Armijo owed his first family more than $52,000. That amount was adjusted to $40,000 after he reached a plea deal with Randall County prosecutors.

“I was unable to make the amount that was being required and I got behind. Its hard, because if you’re not making enough to do it then what do you do?" Armijo told KOB. "It's something I didn't take care of and I know that I should have."

Armijo, who's annual salary is less than $30,000, got five years probation and was ordered to start making monthly payments to help support his 10 and 12 year old sons.

more

Vaughn, N.M. cops not allowed to carry guns | KOB.com