BC Liquor Store Ads Race Issues

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
In these ads it is only white people who are either drunk or in jail. A little unbalanced. If Canada is a multicultural country where everyone is treated equally, then non-white people have to be presented as living on the dark side of life too. The non-white people are only in happy situations, a father to be, or graduating from school.

Minors and Alcohol are a Lethal Mix. | BC Liquor StoresResponsibility
In-Store Campaigns

Minors and Alcohol are a Lethal Mix.

During April, the responsibility theme is "Minors and alcohol are a lethal mix." As graduation celebrations begin, BC Liquor Stores' responsibility is to remind everyone to help keep our youth safe; don't buy for minors—it is illegal to purchase alcohol for anyone under the age of 19.
Please remember our responsibility to help keep our youth safe

In-Store Campaigns

Alcohol & Pregnancy Don't Mix

September is Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder (FASD) awareness month. For many years, BC Liquor Stores featured signage and brochures in stores to help raise awareness and provide general knowledge about the dangers to the unborn child as a result of drinking while pregnant. This year, with the help of subject matter experts from Children's and Women's Health Centre, we're pleased to make available a revised brochure.

We believe that healthy mothers and babies need everyone's support. Remember: alcohol and pregnancy don't mix.

In-Store Campaigns

This is your last call.

Over consumption, otherwise known as binge drinking, is a dangerous reality. It's the focus of this month's responsible use campaign - visual reminders in stores about the risks of binge drinking. The message is "This is your last call" and to "put an end to binge drinking."
This campaign coincides with Canada's new Low-Risk Drinking Guidelines. For more information, visit the Canadian Centre on Substance Abuse website.
Celebrate Life...Enjoy Responsibly

In-Store Campaigns

Support Dry Grad 2012

For the 12th year, BC Liquor Stores are helping high school graduates celebrate responsibly. The support dry grad campaign at BC Liquor Stores runs February 25 to March 31 in all store locations. During this time, stores will be helping to raise funds for dry grad celebrations (alcohol-free events for Grade 12 graduating students). All proceeds from each store benefit students in the local community. That means 100% of donations goes to Dry Grad celebrations in the school district where the money was raised.
The theme for this year's campaign is "Help Keep Them Safe." During the campaign, customers will be asked to support dry grads in their community with a minimum donation of $1. In recognition of the donation, donating customers will receive a delicious chocolate mint wafer.
At BC Liquor Stores, our goal is to ensure the responsible use of beverage alcohol. For minors (under 19), that means zero consumption. Let's help keep them safe!
BC Liquor Stores congratulates all high school graduates of 2012 and wish them success in future endeavours!
For more information on BC Liquor Stores Support Dry Grad program, please visit our Dry Grad page.

In-Store Campaigns

Don't buy for minors

Did you know that the legal drinking age in BC is 19 and that it's illegal to supply alcohol to underage youth? We've seen the devastating consequences in the news so it's important to know the risks involved with underage youth consumption of alcohol. By buying alcohol for minors, you're not doing them any favours.
During April, signage at the checkout and throughout the store carry the message "Don't buy for minors. You're not doing them any favours" and serve as a reminder to customers that it can be dangerous to buy for minors.
Please Celebrate Life...Enjoy Responsibly

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I'm rockin' red, even in January.

United colours!

I want to know where the purple people are. You know whenever someone says, to prove their not bigoted, "I don't care if someone is black, white, red, or purple."

Those have got to be some fun and funky people, I think. ;)

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
In these ads it is only white people who are either drunk or in jail. A little unbalanced. If Canada is a multicultural country where everyone is treated equally, then non-white people have to be presented as living on the dark side of life too. /QUOTE]

Might be a good thing to balance off the inequalities for many years, when racial minorities formed the stereotypes for drunks!

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Must be a real slow day for some people, is for me that is why I am bothering with
this article at all. Who the hell cares what colour they are except for the fact that
the white folks got paid and there is no other colour on the payroll. Are you taking
up for the minorities not getting an audition or a chance to have their picture taken
so they could get paid too? Thought not.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
I agree. The ads should be more specific showing obvious Irish, Scottish, Welsh, or English drunks. Gin, bitters, or scotch anyone?

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
Must be a real slow day for some people, is for me that is why I am bothering with
this article at all. Who the hell cares what colour they are except for the fact that
the white folks got paid and there is no other colour on the payroll. Are you taking
up for the minorities not getting an audition or a chance to have their picture taken
so they could get paid too? Thought not.

If their colour doesn't matter then they have to put non-whites in some boozy pictures. Equality goes both ways.

But don't panic, you'll continue to have your slow days for a long time, things are great.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Did you see the Canucks Stanley Cup riot? All drunk white bastards.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Did you see the Canucks Stanley Cup riot? All drunk white bastards.

And there may be one good reason for that. With Native Indians, Chinese and Japanese there is a strong sense of family pride, in many cases if the Native Indians acted like that the Elders would have made them rue the day, might be the same with Orientals. White Canadians tend to blame anyone including the system for daring to think badly of dear little F**king Johnny! :lol: