Reconciliation must occur between aboriginal people and all other Canadians

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
And written by academic too. How lame. Nothing specific of course, just stuff in the air.

Yes, many bad things have been done to aboriginals, but we can't change the past. Previously, aboriginals were excluded from society, now they are included. That's the only reconciliation that is going to happen over the long term. It'll cost billions, but that's what money is for.

Aboriginals live in Canada, so they're Canadians. That's the context for Canadian multiculturalism. Anything else and there is confusion, pain, and isolation. The govt gives some people a special deal, but the public does not because it demands equality, such things occur in a democracy. Tough, but fair.

Reconciliation must occur between aboriginal people and all other Canadians - thestar.com

Reconciliation must occur between aboriginal people and all other Canadians

June is National Aboriginal History Month and June 21 is National Aboriginal Day, and for the first time I’m celebrating as a “status Indian.”

A few weeks ago, I received my status card. I got home from work one day and there it was in the mail. It has my number on the Indian Register of Canada (yes, there is such a thing) and the name of my Qalipu Mi’kmaq First Nation in western Newfoundland.
It’s the end of a long struggle by the Qalipu. After decades of lobbying, internal disputes and waiting for the wheels of the federal government to turn, we finally have our recognition as aboriginal people, as “Indians,” the very heritage my ancestors spent decades trying to suppress because for them it was a source of shame.

Of course, it is no longer proper to use “Indian,” since Canada’s colonialist, racist and assimilationist past are packed into the word. “Aboriginal” or “indigenous” are preferred. Even the name of the federal department has been changed to Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development Canada.

But the Indian Act still exists, as does much of the injustice that has faced our peoples over the centuries. All you have to do is read the newspaper to see that — the lack of safe drinking water in First Nations communities, unresolved land claims, inadequate housing, appalling rates of suicide and addiction.

But the conversation is starting to change. “Reconciliation” is in the air, due in part to the work of the commission set up to study and make recommendations regarding the issue of residential schools, a government system in which aboriginal children were kidnapped from their families and forced into church-run schools whose purpose was to destroy their cultural identity, often through violent means.

As the Truth and Reconciliation Commission has observed, building a new relationship is not only the work of aboriginal people but of all Canadians. Until non-aboriginal Canadians are able to relate in a visceral and emotional way to the evil of residential schools, we cannot move on.

Inevitably, much of the work of reconciliation will have to be done in cities. First Nations people are increasingly living off-reserve — in fact, some figures estimate there are more off than on. Indeed, Toronto is one of the largest aboriginal communities in Canada — some estimates indicate the size at 60,000 people but even that may be low.

Cities are the site of conflict, misunderstanding and intense social needs and where the legacy of residential schools lives on in multiple generations of broken lives. But they are also the sites of possibility in a new era of reconciliation.

Until now, cities have been but an afterthought in aboriginal policy-making, in part because Canada’s indigenous people are constitutionally a federal responsibility while cities are a creature of the provinces. But the challenge for the future will be to visualize what reconciliation would look like in an urban context.

Certainly, we aboriginals would be a more visible part of the community. Despite our numbers, we are not part of the Toronto mainstream. Our presence is felt by our social needs rather than the contributions we can make to all the people of Toronto, not only to a better understanding of the past but also in how to live in the present. The circle, at the core of aboriginal spirituality, offers a powerful model for the conduct of urban affairs.

But before we can make our contribution on the city level, there is some internal work that we urban aboriginals have to do, particularly those of us in the large and growing aboriginal middle class. As the Toronto Aboriginal Research Project (TARP) reported last year, we are “individuals who have attained economic success, high levels of education . . . and participate in all the amenities that a large cosmopolitan city has to offer.”

Many of us are part of a “new wave” of urban aboriginals who have come to our identity part way through life as the result of legal changes and the rise of Métis consciousness. Like many in my situation, I feel a sense of loss as well as pride at this profound personal moment. Racism robbed me from knowing who I really was until I had lived half my life. We try to change into our new selves by helping change the aboriginal reality around us.

Unfortunately, relations between the various segments of the urban aboriginal community are strained. The lack of organizations serving the “cultural, social and recreational needs of middle-class individuals coupled with the divisiveness within the aboriginal community has led to a real danger that economically successful people will leave the aboriginal community,” the TARP report stated.
Internal squabbling over authenticity should be seen as another unfortunate consequence of a history of assimilationist government policy. We have maintained our aboriginal identity, though some of us took longer to learn who we really are. Our cultural survival should be a cause of celebration.

The reconciliation project has work for many hands. Let’s tackle it together.

Glenn Wheeler is a Toronto lawyer and a June Callwood Fellow in Aboriginal Law at the University of Toronto Faculty of Law in 2012-13.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
The Indian Act is one of the most discriminatory pieces of legislation ever written. It was designed to destroy aboriginal culture. It needs to be replaced with something (anything) that reflect the realities of the present. As long as it remains in place, anything the government says about reconciliation is nothing but hot air; so much verbal flatulence.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I think it's time as far as the Gov't. is concerned we are all just treated as Canadians with no distinction as far as ancestry is concerned. We all have opportunities based on suitability and we all enjoy the same benefits while taking the same responsibility. You can't unfry the egg!

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I think it's time as far as the Gov't. is concerned we are all just treated as Canadians with no distinction as far as ancestry is concerned. We all have opportunities based on suitability and we all enjoy the same benefits while taking the same responsibility. You can't unfry the egg!
You are right there. We have treaties that we are obliged to honour. Unfortunately, the Indian Act was written in complete disregard of those treaties and needs to be replaced. As long as the act remains in place, aboriginal peoples are less than second class citizen, in spite of what some people here insinuate.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
You are right there. We have treaties that we are obliged to honour. Unfortunately, the Indian Act was written in complete disregard of those treaties and needs to be replaced. As long as the act remains in place, aboriginal peoples are less than second class citizen, in spite of what some people here insinuate.

Yep since having a status card gives you preferential hiring by the feds regardless of merit being second class ain't all that bad.
But you are right , the Indian act needs to be abolished. All Canadians must have exactly the same rights. NO special deals based on race, color or origin.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I think it's time as far as the Gov't. is concerned we are all just treated as Canadians with no distinction as far as ancestry is concerned.
How colonial of you.

Yep since having a status card gives you preferential hiring by the feds regardless of merit being second class ain't all that bad.
No it doesn't. I'd be working for the Feds if that we true.

All Canadians must have exactly the same rights.
Read my sig. Cannuck said it best.

NO special deals based on race, color or origin.
The deals aren't based on race, colour or origin. They're based on heredity. Like an inheritance.

Yes, many bad things have been done to aboriginals, but we can't change the past.
True, but you can repair the damage.

The Six Nations are still waiting for the Feds to refund the money stolen from their trust, by a Federal Official.

Aboriginals live in Canada, so they're Canadians.
Some consider themselves so, some don't. Your blanket statement is racist, and just as ignorant as the King who claimed First Nations people to be subjects of the Crow hundreds of years ago.

Anything else and there is confusion, pain, and isolation.
No, it's called self determination, and it's a fundamental human right, supported by international law, acknowledged by Canada.

http://www.thestar.com/opinion/edit...een-aboriginal-people-and-all-other-canadians

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB

For every complex issue, there is at least one obvious, simple and easy to understand wrong answer...

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com

Unfrying the egg, good one. We can't undo what has been done, the old mythologies and religions are gone. God is dead and their ain't no floating turtle. The old cultures will never return. Trying to make them come back under the guise of culture, spiritualism or some other hoodoo-voodoo is farce. With treaties, aboriginals want their cake and to be able to eat it too. They want to have treaities and be considered independent nations, but still get money from the govt. The audience gets confused and turns away.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Unfrying the egg, good one. We can't undo what has been done, the old mythologies and religions are gone. God is dead and their ain't no floating turtle. The old cultures will never return. Trying to make them come back under the guise of culture, spiritualism or some other hoodoo-voodoo is farce.
What a vulgar and racist thing to say.

Obviously you don't have the capacity to think beyond the stereotypes you glean from TV and movies.

They want to have treaities and be considered independent nations, but still get money from the govt.
Well ya. That isn't having you cake and eating too. That's how it works. It's been explained to you so many times, a downsydrom child would have grasped it by now.

I get confused and turns away.
FIFY.