Family finds worm in box of Kraft Dinner

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Family finds worm in box of Kraft Dinner
Patricia Blackburn, QMI Agency
First posted: Saturday, June 16, 2012 06:13 AM EDT | Updated: Saturday, June 16, 2012 06:42 AM EDT

A Montreal-area family was shocked when a worm emerged from their box of Kraft Dinner.

Nalini Marquez, a mom from Chateauguay, Que., said Friday she took a picture of the worm and called Kraft Canada to report the problem.

A few days later, Marquez received a letter from the mac and cheese maker with a cheque for $1 -- the value of the box of pasta.

"I felt like they were laughing at me," she said. "It's not much money for all the disgust that was created."

Marquez's 18-year-old daughter found the worm while pouring the noodles into a pot of water on June 7.

"I heard her scream in disgust," Marquez said. "Then I quickly ran to see what it was. There was a worm floating in the boiling water, and part of the package of noodles had been transformed into white powder. "

Kraft Canada spokeswoman Kathy Murphy said the company maintains high quality standards, though problems can arise during the production process.

"From the factory to the merchants' warehouses and the grocer's shelf to the consumer's cabinet, there may be several reasons how an insect could get into the box," she said.

"For small merchants, for example, the storage conditions are not always ideal," said Murphy, who also suggested Kraft might not even be responsible for the worm.

"We cannot verify the environment of each kitchen cabinet."

Regarding the $1 cheque, Murphy said Kraft's compensation policy is to reimburse an amount equivalent to the value of a product.

As for the Marquez family, their taste for Kraft Dinner isn't what it used to be, she said.

"(We won't) eat macaroni and cheese for the rest of our lives."

Family finds worm in box of Kraft Dinner | Weird | News | Toronto Sun

kraft cheese and maggotroni. ;)

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Home made Mac & Cheese is way better anyway.

Although I will admit to odd craving for the old 'student food'. Well, probably not now, but I used to.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
How far removed from nature do you have to be to expect that worms won't eat your dry goods? wtf?

On that note though, the other day I grabbed an ear of corn and started shucking it when I discovered a massive, fat caterpillar all curled up in it... I yelled and couldn't touch it. lol. Hubby had to cut off the 'munched on' portion and take it outside before I could continue cleaning corn and making dinner. But, I didn't run to the store and demand my money back for the offense of having sold me edible food. lol.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I want to see a pic of the worm.

An earthworm would be very suspicious. The pasta would dehydrate the worm if it was in the box for any length of time.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
If this were me, the pic would have been everywhere on the interweb by now. Famous. So-called 'viral' web crap would pale in comparison to what I'd pull.You'd be sick of it by now.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
If this were me, the pic would have been everywhere on the interweb by now. Famous. So-called 'viral' web crap would pale in comparison to what I'd pull.You'd be sick of it by now.
That's just cuz yer a post wh!re!!! lol.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Indeed!

LET'S DO THE POST ***** DANCE - YouTube

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I want to see a pic of the worm.

An earthworm would be very suspicious. The pasta would dehydrate the worm if it was in the box for any length of time.

I would expect that the dry pasta in Kraft Dinner would keep for years. The little envelope of dried cheese might feed an insect of some kind for a while if it was opened but it is pretty concentrated and pretty salty. I think I would like to see the worm too.