School District brainfart

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007

Via Fark:

Public school system refuses to bus a student who lives 1.35 miles from school, making her continue to cross a busy interstate and dangerous roadways

The thought of having her 11-year-old daughter walk 1.7 miles to a new school next fall has Jessica Bilotta so worked up, she has contacted everyone she can think of in the Des Moines school district.
It’s not just that her daughter, Madison, would have to make the round-trip trek every school day from Windsor Heights to Merrill Middle School. Nor that the girl will likely have to do so on some days when frostbite is a threat. It’s that Madison will have to find some way to get across Interstate Highway 235 from a high-traffic area near her home on 64th Street on the west side.

“I have been so stressed, I’ve cried,” said Bilotta, a single parent. “It’s boiling down to me having to move. But I’m renting a house, and I really can’t afford to move.”

Under Iowa law, elementary and middle school students qualify to ride public school buses for free only if they live two or more miles from the school; for high school students, the rule is three miles. Bilotta lives three blocks from the two-mile mark, and the most direct route to school involves some of Des Moines’s busiest streets — some with no shoulder or sidewalks.

more classiness

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/ar...ar-old-s-thorny-walk-to-school?nclick_check=1

Hey kid, roolz is roolz.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
No matter what distance they determined would satisfy everyone. They could
make it farther and have no one ride the bus or make it a half mile and have to
have more buses, this would be a no win situation regardless.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
The school district I used to teach in had a simple rule. Any student who lived one km or more from school or who had to walk along a busy road to reach the school got automatic busing. One km might not seem very far, but it certainly is at -20 or colder.