Former Quebec Lt Governor argues sovereign immunity.

s_lone

Council Member
Feb 16, 2005
Montreal
She's charged with fraud, and her lawyer is arguing sovereign immunity, as in she cannot be charged even if she did steal money. She's got some nerve saying that.

That is the logic of a monarchical system pushed to its ultimate conclusions.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
She's so arrogant she tried to use her condition as a get out of jail free card,now she think this rule apply to her crooked ass.

By crooked i mean lying hypocrite thief.

She should not have immunity, but still, presumption of innocense I say.

That said, trying that stunt does suggest either arrogance or something to hide.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
From link:
Her lawyer Marc Labelle said his argument for sovereign immunity is based on a rarely-used common-law statute that states “the queen can do no wrong” — in other words, the crown prosecution cannot prosecute the Crown.

When did Common Law become the law of Quebec?

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
In England, where they actually have a queen, the monarch is treated as a commoner in law. Canadians are inventing new legal crown/monarchy concepts that are totally bogus and embarrassing.

The crown many think is "above the fray", to mean, above petty, partisan politics. To think it means above the law, must imply she thinks she's a cop where beating and killing people who hold staplers and the like, is very okay. If the judge doesn't throw the book at her, we have a serious problem here with the crown.

Says here she first pleaded not guilty to the charges in 2009. The wheels of justice move very very slowly for some people. I like this.

Ottawa won't pay Thibault fraud case's legal tab - Montreal - CBC News

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
Hmmm, shipping and beheading, not effective and not going to happen. People in govt, like police, are very cynical about the legal system, its just a plaything to them. Judging by some of the responses here, I can see why they have no worries about the little people reforming our system of governance for the better.