Second bridge linking Windsor, Detroit finally in works

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Can I say it again? I will any way.

Infrastructure, infrastructure, infrastructure.

This should help goods flow easier and cheaper. Just what ON manufacturers need.

After years of wrangling and debate, Canada and Michigan finally announced a deal Friday to build a second bridge linking Detroit and Windsor, at a cost of as much as $4 billion.

A beaming Prime Minister Stephen Harper delivered the news in Windsor with politicians from both sides of the border in attendance including Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder.

“I do a lot of announcements as you know, but this is a really big one,” Harper said, noting $120 billion worth of goods crossed this river last year. “This new bridge is an investment in the future, in the North American economy, North American trade and manufacturing.”
Trade between Canada and U.S. was nearly $645 billion in 2010.

But businesses and companies have long complained about delays and bumper-to-bumper traffic along the Ambassador Bridge, which dates back to 1929.

“It’s been a long road to get to this day, with even more stops and starts than on Huron Church Rd.,” said Canadian Trucking Alliance president David Bradley, referring to the 16 stoplights truckers face on the Windsor road leading to the current bridge crossing. “So we are thrilled the new crossing will become a reality.”

Ron Watkins of the Canadian Steel Producers Association also welcomed the news, saying the project will require hundreds of millions of dollars worth of steel and steel products. And smoother crossings will help the automotive industry, a key user of steel.
Construction on the Detroit River International Crossing, which includes the bridge, U.S. and Canadian inspection plazas and an interchange with Interstate 75, will take four to five years. Total construction costs are valued at between $3.5 billion and $4 billion.
It will be built through a public-private partnership, with a projected 10,000 to 15,000 construction jobs on both sides of the border.
Harper argued this faster border crossing will boost investment to create jobs along the Windsor-Quebec City corridor as well as Michigan.“When the train comes in everybody rides,” he said.

But hurdles remain including whether Manuel “Matty” Moroun, the billionaire owner of the Ambassador Bridge, will mount a legal challenge to block the new bridge.

His Detroit International Bridge Co., which has floated the idea of adding a span of its own, launched a vocal TV advertising campaign to oppose the Canadian-financed bridge. It also wants a referendum held on whether voters want the bridge built.

The Republican-controlled Legislature approved a bill that bars Snyder from spending state money on a U.S.-Canada bridge.
As result, Michigan will repay Canada for its share of costs through tolls that will eventually be collected.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Have you ever seen the gridlock at Ambassador Bridge? It's about time they remedied it....

Interesting that Harper's taking credit when McGuinty took so much heat over the Highway to Nowhere in PC election jabs....

Last edited:

relic

Council Member
Nov 29, 2009
Nova Scotia
So,why did it say on the news,that it would cost one billion,and that Canada is on the hook fo the whole shot ??

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
At first I wasn't pleased, but thinking about for a few minutes it does make sense
not just from construction jobs but from an infrastructure standpoint. We also have
the benefit of getting the investment money back with tolls on the bridge.
I think we have to ensure the financing does what it supposed to do and that we
don't end up with taxpayers holding the bag. If it is done above board according
to the original plan, I think this project is good, regardless of what government
brought it to production

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
Is it not ironic that the strongest opposition to the building of this critical link came from a supposed supporter of the free market system? It is as Adam Smith said 250 years ago "People of the same trade seldom meet together, even for merriment and diversion, but the conversation ends in a conspiracy against the public, or in some contrivance to raise prices. People like Moroun are the bane of the free market system; setting themselves up in monopolistic positions and then stifling all efforts to bring in competiton by bribing elected officials to do nothing.

I also find it interesting that a bridge that will help Americans as much as Canadians is being entirely underwritten by Canada since the great state of Michigan is too cash-strapped to afford it and the US federal government has declined any part in the project.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Can I say it again? I will any way.

Infrastructure, infrastructure, infrastructure.

This should help goods flow easier and cheaper. Just what ON manufacturers need.
You can say it again and again, it's bang on!

The money pouring into infrastructure projects here, is just amazing. From health and learning centers to the refurbishing of the Trent-Severn Canal.