First Nations, resources talks 'vital'

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
A national conference on natural resources and aboriginal people being held this week in Saskatoon is "important and vital" to creating more understanding on key issues, one of the participants says.

More than 100 business law professionals and leaders from across the country gather today at the Delta Bessborough for the annual two-day National Aboriginal Law Conference, hosted by the Canadian Bar Association.

"It really is just an opportunity for dialogue," said Jeff Howe, who is part of the organizing committee.

"The CBA doesn't have any particular legal position or viewpoint on any of these issues, so the CBA provides a platform where people can come and share their views and discuss these issues openly and freely," Howe said.

The conference will explore natural resource issues in areas such as treaty rights and relations with First Nations and Metis.
"(This conference) is very important and vital," said Perry Bellegarde, one of today's speakers.

The chief of the Little Black Bear First Nation, Bellegarde hopes to open a few eyes in his message to the delegates.

"My title is treaties, unfinished treaty business, resource revenue and the national resource transfer agreement. I have talked about that for many, many years, so I want to explain how important it is dealing with that issue," Bellegarde said.

Bellegarde believes the conference is a way to unite the people of Canada rather than divide it in the areas of resource sharing.
"It's a great opportunity to educate and dialogue with lawyers from across Canada regarding this because I want to advance these positions," Bellegarde said. "So that's very important and vital."

Howe hopes the conference will also help some leaders who may be unfamiliar with natural resources, ultimately building stronger relationships within the oil and gas sector.

"Natural resources are often flashpoints for disputes and conversations and business agreements, so the dialogue here is designed to be an aid to help people who work in the area of natural resources to basically become more knowledgeable and share best practices," Howe said.

On Friday, the keynote speaker will be the former treaty commissioner Judge David Arnot. Arnot, the chief commissioner of the Saskatchewan Human Rights Commission since 2009, will touch on a number of views he has on natural resources and aboriginal people.