Should this teacher be fired?

Should this teacher be fired

• Total voters

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...d-lin-jun-gore-video-in-class/article4255606/

Teacher showed alleged Luka Rocco Magnotta dismemberment video to students | News | National Post

MONTREAL – A Montreal high school teacher has been suspended and is facing a disciplinary hearing Wednesday after showing the video of the alleged murder and mutilation of Jun Lin to his Grade 10 students.

The unidentified history and citizenship teacher at Cavelier-De LaSalle high school in the borough of LaSalle screened the grotesque scenes during his class on June 4, reportedly after a show of hands on whether students wanted to see it.

Police believe the video depicts the actual killing, dismemberment and cannibalism of Mr. Lin, 33, a student from Wuhan, China who was studying computer science at Concordia University.

A police spokesman has described the content as so disgusting that seasoned detectives forced to watch it as part of their investigation were left shaken.

Luka Rocco Magnotta, 29, was arrested last week in Berlin and is facing murder charges in connection with the killing. He is awaiting extradition from Germany.

In a statement Wednesday, the Commission Scolaire Marguerite-Bourgeoys, the school board responsible for the school, said it and the school’s administration “condemn with a single voice the action of a teacher who showed his students a video with content as inappropriate as it is offensive.”

The teacher, described as being about 25-years-old, was suspended with salary as soon as the administration learned of the screening. The school immediately made a team of psychologists and counselors available to students traumatized by what they had seen.

Last edited:

MapleDog

Time Out
Jun 1, 2012
St Calixte Quebec Canada
I don't know,but we should ask what going on in these kids head for wanting to see videos of real killings.

Apparently the teacher is a temp,so i guess he didn't care much about teaching.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
We know what's going on in the kids' heads... morbid curiosity. We expect the adults in charge of our kids to be above such things. Popular choice among teens is not a measure by which you decide what a class should do. He should have his credentials revoked imo.

MapleDog

Time Out
Jun 1, 2012
St Calixte Quebec Canada
We know what's going on in the kids' heads... morbid curiosity. We expect the adults in charge of our kids to be above such things. Popular choice among teens is not a measure by which you decide what a class should do. He should have his credentials revoked imo.

From what was told on the news,some of the kids didn't want to see it,but the fear of being called wussy,made them all raise their hands.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
perhaps there should be a new rule that all videos have to be approved before viewing.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
that too.;)

Teachers in today's world are given training in what can, will or may be offensive- from interactions with students to what should not be brought into class rooms- And if unsure to seek guidance from the school.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
perhaps there should be a new rule that all videos have to be approved before viewing.

You should not need to make rules to prevent teachers from showing children the video of a sadistic murder. If the teachers need their hands held to that degree, they need to find a new line of work.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
We watched 9/11 happen on tv's in my grade 8 classroom. Id say this is no worse than that. We also watched some fairly graphic videos from Iraq when I was in high school. For that kids who felt like they couldnt handle it didnt have to watch. For 9/11 there was no choice. Kids can handle more than what a lot of adults give them credit for.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
We watched 9/11 happen on tv's in my grade 8 classroom. Id say this is no worse than that. We also watched some fairly graphic videos from Iraq when I was in high school. For that kids who felt like they couldnt handle it didnt have to watch. For 9/11 there was no choice. Kids can handle more than what a lot of adults give them credit for.

All vetted by the school- parents probably informed. But watching a building collapse or a man falling is not a fair comparison to watching a person dismember another person.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss

What is submitted through the news is a different ball game from a snuff film.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Montreal teacher suspended for airing alleged Lin Jun gore video in class - The Globe and Mail

Teacher showed alleged Luka Rocco Magnotta dismemberment video to students | News | National Post

MONTREAL – A Montreal high school teacher has been suspended and is facing a disciplinary hearing Wednesday after showing the video of the alleged murder and mutilation of Jun Lin to his Grade 10 students.

The unidentified history and citizenship teacher at Cavelier-De LaSalle high school in the borough of LaSalle screened the grotesque scenes during his class on June 4, reportedly after a show of hands on whether students wanted to see it.

Police believe the video depicts the actual killing, dismemberment and cannibalism of Mr. Lin, 33, a student from Wuhan, China who was studying computer science at Concordia University.

A police spokesman has described the content as so disgusting that seasoned detectives forced to watch it as part of their investigation were left shaken.

Luka Rocco Magnotta, 29, was arrested last week in Berlin and is facing murder charges in connection with the killing. He is awaiting extradition from Germany.

In a statement Wednesday, the Commission Scolaire Marguerite-Bourgeoys, the school board responsible for the school, said it and the school’s administration “condemn with a single voice the action of a teacher who showed his students a video with content as inappropriate as it is offensive.”

The teacher, described as being about 25-years-old, was suspended with salary as soon as the administration learned of the screening. The school immediately made a team of psychologists and counselors available to students traumatized by what they had seen.

YES, BUT be prepared for a huge uproar, as he would have no business deciding what is acceptable for children to be watching! :smile:

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
All vetted by the school- parents probably informed. But watching a building collapse or a man falling is not a fair comparison to watching a person dismember another person.

I doubt there was time to tell anyone. We were watching as it happened. We were too young to really get it, but those videos are pretty graphic when you think about what is going on in those buildings and what happens when you hear a person slam into the ground from that fall. Swearing, blood, people running for their lives. It was all there. I doubt any one of our parents knew about it. Hell, the teachers wouldnt have even known. How could they? It was live.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario

I'd say the difference is 9/11 was a news event unfolding before the world's eyes. Graphic video's from Iraq maybe weren't 'real time' but were relevant in a current events context. (Whether they were age appropriate for all that viewed it would be open to assessment, and probably a subjective one at that.)

But what, other than macabre thrills, can be had from watching a fiend stab and dismember a human being? What possible educational value is present in those videos for someone other than, possibly, advanced level criminology or psychology students?

Personally I think the teacher should be shown the door.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
I doubt there was time to tell anyone. We were watching as it happened. We were too young to really get it, but those videos are pretty graphic when you think about what is going on in those buildings and what happens when you hear a person slam into the ground from that fall. Swearing, blood, people running for their lives. It was all there. I doubt any one of our parents knew about it. Hell, the teachers wouldnt have even known. How could they? It was live.

I was 40 at the time and I am pretty sure I couldn't handle it. But its a news feed. Its really happening at the time. This is not really the same thing. The news value of the story is the guy did it. Why do you need to show it to students?

Incredibly lack of judgement by the teacher. I am with karrie on this. He needs to find a new profession.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Teachers in today's world are given training in what can, will or may be offensive- from interactions with students to what should not be brought into class rooms- And if unsure to seek guidance from the school.

I don't believe so.

But there is such a thing as common sense.

And anyone with a brain wave should understand that this video would be seen as offensive, especially in today's ultra-sensitive environment.

I worked as a teacher for 7 years, almost all of it as a temp.........and I do understand one thing........this vid would shut the little darlings up for the duration.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
What possible educational value is present in those videos for someone other than, possibly, advanced level criminology or psychology students?

Personally I think the teacher should be shown the door.

With a hard boot in the ass to follow!