Another BC forest valley flooded for Hydro....but goats will be fine.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
The B.C. government has approved the $217-million McLymont Creek run-of-the-river power project in north-west B.C.

An environmental assessment gives the project the green light but imposes a number of restrictions, including that Alt-aGas Renewable Energy Inc. must maintain minimum water levels in the creek and minimize the effect of the project on mountain goats.

BC Hydro has already signed an agreement to buy power from the hydroelectric project.

The project will pump about 70 megawatts into the BC Hydro grid, enough electricity to power more than 38,000 homes each year.

The project is expected to create more than 100 jobs during the three-year construction period. Another two to four permanent jobs will be created.

The project will connect to Hydro's new 344-kilometre, $400-million northwest power line under construction along the Highway 37 corridor.

The McLymont Creek project is scheduled to be producing power by November 2015.
The project is located about 1,000 kilometres north of Vancouver.

It will require roads and a 10-kilometre transmission line to hook into the new northwest power line.

Read more: McLymont Creek power project approved

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
The B.C. government has approved the $217-million McLymont Creek run-of-the-river power project in north-west B.C.

An environmental assessment gives the project the green light but imposes a number of restrictions, including that Alt-aGas Renewable Energy Inc. must maintain minimum water levels in the creek and minimize the effect of the project on mountain goats.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

It will require roads and a 10-kilometre transmission line to hook into the new northwest power line.

Read more: McLymont Creek power project approved
What they don't tell you is that at peak runs, there is only about 10% flow. Any spawning fish will be hooped. Run of the river is a nice BS monicker because they take 90% of the water out of the river and run it through a pipe for many Kilometers (as much as 30 or more) basically killing that section of the run.
"Oh, but we put the water back into the river!"
Whoopy Sh!t!

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Wait until the people find out the real truth which is the only truth. First there may be
hearings but no listening goes on as the decisions have already been made in these
cases.
All this save power for the environment is another joke. They want you and I to use
less power, they want to charge us extra to use power in peak times and it has nothing
to do with the environment or for the good and well being of mankind. The real reason is
they already have us at their mercy and they want us to use less so they can hobble all
that extra power and sell it south of the boarder to the power grid.
There is no conscience what so ever in destroying the wilderness areas and destroying
the balance of nature when it comes to making more American money and of course
producing more power for that purpose. We pay extra, we are asked to sacrifice and we
bare the burden so Americans can use as much power as possible. We have our wilderness
destroyed for a few bucks profit.
And so many are duped into believing these are green decisions. There are too many
people watching Entertainment Tonight and not watching what is happening to our Province.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
Naw,it's the people that are useing so much power they need more supply.
The power flows both ways from Alta and BC and into the USA.
With deregulation and more hands in the pot the price is going to just keep going up.I spent a few years working for Altalink who maintains and owns lots of lines going into BC and they were all old Calgary power hands so I listened to them.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Naw,it's the people that are useing so much power they need more supply.
The power flows both ways from Alta and BC and into the USA.
With deregulation and more hands in the pot the price is going to just keep going up.I spent a few years working for Altalink who maintains and owns lots of lines going into BC and they were all old Calgary power hands so I listened to them.
Maybe you know the oil sands, but know squat about IPPs and what is going on here. Ipps not only destroy habitat and environment but fisheries as well. We stopped a few but there are thousands scheduled to destroy just about every watershed in BC. We already have enough power. Lots of major dams have capacity for more turbines, but the BC government has tethered Hydro in favour of selling off all our creeks and rivers to private enterprise. Something stinks in BC and it is coming from Victoria.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
Maybe you know the oil sands, but know squat about IPPs and what is going on here. Ipps not only destroy habitat and environment but fisheries as well. We stopped a few but there are thousands scheduled to destroy just about every watershed in BC. We already have enough power. Lots of major dams have capacity for more turbines, but the BC government has tethered Hydro in favour of selling off all our creeks and rivers to private enterprise. Something stinks in BC and it is coming from Victoria.
I worked for Altalink for over 4 years,their lines all run into B.C.
Your right on some points,dams do affect the environment in a huge way,I worked on the 3 rivers dam here,I see the changes and not all is good,thats progress.It's there now and very nice so might as well accept and enjoy it.

Your wrong on the power though,B.C. rarely sends power back to Alberta,only when their reccing out a line and we have to buy it back from bc which is ironic because it came from Alberta on another line in the first place.
People love their power bud,they plant a huge windmill here every 4 days just to keep up to the demand to B.C. and the usa.

Your going to see more huge powerlines getting planted real soon because B.C. peeps are power junkies.