Regina moped operator acquitted of impaired driving charges

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
A Regina Provincial Court judge has found a Regina man not guilty of impaired driving-related charges, stating it’s unclear whether Gary W. Rookes’ moped was legally functioning as a motor vehicle on the night in question.

According to the May decision posted online recently, Rookes, 57, was pulled over on Feb. 26, 2010, by a member of the Regina Police Service after the officer saw the moped — described as a GiO 500-watt E-scooter — go through a red light at the intersection of Saskatchewan Drive and Broad Street at about 11:20 p.m. The stop led to charges of impaired operation of a motor vehicle and refusal to provide a breath sample.

The case went to trial, following which Judge Murray Hinds found there was conflicting evidence as to whether Rookes’ moped was, in fact, a motor vehicle at the time of the incident. Hinds noted that in cases where a judge can’t decide who to believe, a judge has to acquit.

“In this case after careful consideration of all the evidence, I am unable to decide whom to believe as to (1) whether there were pedals on the GiO bike (2) whether Mr. Rookes was pedalling his GiO bike as his sole means of propulsion and (3) whether the electric engine was operable on February 26, 2010,” Hinds wrote in his decision from May 4. “As a result I am of the view that the Crown has failed to prove that Mr. Rookes was operating a motor vehicle on the evening of February 26, 2010.”
During trial, court heard from police involved in the case and Rookes himself.

Rookes, represented by defence lawyer Rod Simaluk, admitted to having had two or three beer earlier in the day before heading for home on his GiO cycle. He said that at the time, the engine — an electric battery-charged motor — was not working, even supplying a receipt from a subsequent date that he claimed was for the motor repair. Rookes insisted he had to pedal the moped at the time.
The police officer who testified, Const. Tyler Bacon, told the court he witnessed Rookes dragging his feet along the ground prior to the vehicle stop.

“Constable Bacon testified that after Mr. Rookes stopped the moped, he appeared to steady himself, dismounted the moped and stumbled backwards toward a wall adjacent to the roadway ...,” Hinds wrote. “Constable Bacon testified that he observed Mr. Rookes to stumble and sway from side to side as he walked to the police vehicle. He also testified that once Mr. Rookes reached the police vehicle he appeared to steady himself against it.”

After Rookes blew a fail on the roadside screening device, Bacon took the man back to police headquarters for a breathalyzer reading. Another officer tasked with operating the device told the court Rookes displayed several signs and symptoms of impairment, including a strong smell of alcohol, slurred speech and glassy, watery eyes. Const. Grant Campbell testified Rookes failed to provide a proper breath sample and was subsequently charged.

Hinds noted that while Bacon said the pedals on the moped appeared to have been removed, Rookes testified that wasn’t the case. Hinds said while he didn’t buy all of Rookes’ testimony, he was still left in a doubt on that point, indicating photographs of the moped at the time would have helpful. He also said police reports didn’t indicate whether the moped’s motor was operational at the time.

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
The cop told all the standard lies but they weren't enough.

As to operating a motor vehicle I thought being mounted on a bicycle operating on a roadway meant a person was legally a motor vehicle and being impaired meant just that-I mean if it wasn't a motor vehicle because of no engine then it was a bicycle.

I guess that's why I'm not a lawyer.

skookumchuck

Council Member
Jan 19, 2012
Van Isle
The cop told all the standard lies but they weren't enough.

As to operating a motor vehicle I thought being mounted on a bicycle operating on a roadway meant a person was legally a motor vehicle and being impaired meant just that-I mean if it wasn't a motor vehicle because of no engine then it was a bicycle.

I guess that's why I'm not a lawyer.

A "vehicle" not a motor vehicle but in most of Canada that i know of, a bicycle is a "vehicle" and is subject to the same general rules on public roads as a motor vehicle. As to impaired driving i do not know if it applies to bicycles.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Moped's & E-Bikes hit a grey area in the law. Bicycles are
considered vehicles, and E-Bikes (though motorized with
an electric motor) are considered bicycles....so you'd think
the line would just carry across that E-Bikes & Mopeds
would be vehicles (motorized or not) like bicycles...but...
here we are with the court findings in the O.P.

Here in Regina, where this story in the O.P. takes place, it's
actually illegal to operate a bicycle on a sidewalk (unless it's
specifically posted otherwise) that has a wheel diameter of
more than 400mm (16"), so a Moutain Bike is illegal on the
sidewalks....but a motorized E-Bike (or 50cc Moped) is
treated as a bicycle....& bicycles are vehicles...but with their
small wheels....they can legally drive on the sidewalks at
whatever speed they can obtain.

The roads have speed limits. What are the speed limits on the
sidewalks? Just pointing out the irony.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Motors are electric, engines are gasoline or diesel. So how can a gasoline bike be a "motor" vehicle?

Motor vehicle. Powered? Good arguement!! Can a person get a DUI while
operating a bicycle?

If so....will they take away that person's Drivers Licence for the DUI?

If so....can that same person still operate legally that same bicycle while
under that DUI suspension?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Motor vehicle. Powered? Good arguement!! Can a person get a DUI while
operating a bicycle?

If so....will they take away that person's Drivers Licence for the DUI?

If so....can that same person still operate legally that same bicycle while
under that DUI suspension?
I don't think you can get a DUI on bicycle in Canada.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I don't think you can get a DUI on bicycle in Canada.

I'm not sure where we're currently at, but I think you could at one point then.

DUI's in Canada are a Federal thing, so it "should" be consistent nation wide.
DUI's in the USA are dealt with at a state level (I think), so who freak'n knows
how it works there....

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
If the charge had been being drunk in a public place he would have lost. There is some debate about wether an electric scooter is a motor vehicle because it does not require license and registration. If it is incapable of 32km and has petals it is not considered a motor vehicle. My wife's scooter has petals but they are mounted in such a manner that there is no possible way to use them .

Motors are electric, engines are gasoline or diesel. So how can a gasoline bike be a "motor" vehicle?

SO why do our class 8 trucks fall under the motor vehicle act?

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
If the charge had been being drunk in a public place he would have lost. There is some debate about wether an electric scooter is a motor vehicle because it does not require license and registration. If it is incapable of 32km and has petals it is not considered a motor vehicle. My wife's scooter has petals but they are mounted in such a manner that there is no possible way to use them .

....and incapable (from the manufacturer) of exceeding 32km/h = governed?

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
My son drags his feet when he is stopping his bicycle. I imagine if you were riding a bike hammered you may do the same thing.

Are you allowed to drive a bicycle drunk? I didn't think so but obviously you are if the judge acquitted because it was a bicycle.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
My son drags his feet when he is stopping his bicycle. I imagine if you were riding a bike hammered you may do the same thing.

Are you allowed to drive a bicycle drunk? I didn't think so but obviously you are if the judge acquitted because it was a bicycle.

The O.P. takes place in February in Saskatchewan. Unless that Moped has
outriggers, I too would be dragging my feet.

Stone cold sober....I too would most likely have slurred speach & glassy watery eyes
'till I warmed up some too.