Parental Fears About Safety Prevent Kids From Being Active Outside: Report

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Makes sense. Between over-protective parents and many forms of entertainment in the house these kids will have little opportunity to go outside. Unfortunate. I imagine that will do far more harm than good in the long run.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Parental Fears About Safety Prevent Kids From Being Active Outside: Report | Team Mom - Shine from Yahoo! Canada

How did this happen,when most of us were kids,our parents were never like that,we weren't shielded from the occasional injury or microbe,
Tim Nutt - YouTube

It seems every aspect of our lives is influenced and dictated by the media today. It just takes one unfortunate case (often the result of stupidity) somewhere in North America and before you know it everything from playpens to bikes to hoola hoops is being questioned. A lot of the playthings when we were kids were home made and who knows what potential hazards were lurking therein but most of us survived! :lol:

MapleDog

Time Out
Jun 1, 2012
St Calixte Quebec Canada
It seems every aspect of our lives is influenced and dictated by the media today. It just takes one unfortunate case (often the result of stupidity) somewhere in North America and before you know it everything from playpens to bikes to hoola hoops is being questioned. A lot of the playthings when we were kids were home made and who knows what potential hazards were lurking therein but most of us survived! :lol:

Exactly like he says,how many of us survived our medieval childhood.
we had toys that today would be considered dangerous,remember the all metal Tonka cars?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
we had toys that today would be considered dangerous,remember the all metal Tonka cars?

Yep, and likely contaminated with the likes of mercury and lead paint! :lol:

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan

Remember BB Guns & Lawn Darts? Climbing trees & catching tadpoles?
Two channels on the TV and no video games? Going for a rid on the bikes
without gearing up like you where heading out for a hockey game?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Remember BB Guns & Lawn Darts? Climbing trees & catching tadpoles?
Two channels on the TV and no video games? Going for a rid on the bikes
without gearing up like you where heading out for a hockey game?

Yeah, and we also used to try things like pissing on electric fences...............................ONCE!

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
Working in many different towns the one thing I allways notice is in any town now you never see kids on bikes or playing flag football in the park or even just hanging on the street corner.I think the internets more to blame then over protective parents.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Working in many different towns the one thing I allways notice is in any town now you never see kids on bikes or playing flag football in the park or even just hanging on the street corner.I think the internets more to blame then over protective parents.

And parents who don't curtail this sh*t!

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan

.....video games....hundreds of TV channels, 24/7/365.....& a news cycle
that reports everything everywhere all the time freak'n parents out about
their childrens safety. The more affluent the neighbourhood, the less
likely it is to see anyone outside of their own yard.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
We are planning Aboriginal day at one of the schools. In our district Aboriginal education includes all students. There will be about 300 kids there. For activities, one person suggested bow and arrows with soft foam tips. That was shot down because many parents don't want their kids playing with weapons of any kind. I suggested lawn darts. They failed to see the humour in it.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Yeah, and we also used to try things like pissing on electric fences...............................ONCE!

We had lots of city kids pissing on the electric fence. Funnyier than hell.

We are planning Aboriginal day at one of the schools. In our district Aboriginal education includes all students. There will be about 300 kids there. For activities, one person suggested bow and arrows with soft foam tips. That was shot down because many parents don't want their kids playing with weapons of any kind. I suggested lawn darts. They failed to see the humour in it.

So I guess playing cowboys and indians with 22s didn't get a high approval rating either? Parents these days just have no sense of adventure.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
We had crab apple wars in my yard. Then the clean-up when Dad would come out and see apples all over the yard. Fun times. Fed them all to the cows one day. About a whole fish tubs worth of crab apples and the larger apples from the old tree with our treehouse in it. My first lesson in the workings of a ruminant digestive system.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
35 cents used to get you in the saturday matinee,a bag of popcorn,a pop and some licorice,depending on if it was a western or war movie would set the pace for the day after the movies,war on our 24 acres on the mountain,started out with slingshots,then we progressed to pellet guns.

My bicycle had a banana seat and monkey bars and sometimes a playing card on the forks for the motorcycle effect.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
Curfew in the old days was when the street lights came on,any later then that and you would hear your mom screaming your name out the front door of your house,even if you were miles away.