Who is right? Obama or the New York Times?

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
President Obama at a press conference this morning insisted that high-level national security leaks are not coming from the White House. "The notion that my White House would purposefully release classified information is offensive," President Obama said.

But a Republican memo from the Senate Republican Policy Committee maintains that either the president or the New York Times is wrong.

"It would appear the President’s statement and the New York Times statements directly conflict with each other and cannot both be true at the same time," the memo states.

For proof, the memo highlights Obama's denial that the White House is responsible for the leaks and certain statements in the Times's stories.

"If that statement were meant to serve as a denial that the Obama Administration leaked classified information, it would appear to stand in direct contrast to the New York Times article describing the President’s personal involvement in a process 'to designate terrorists for kill or capture,'" the memo states. "One of the opening paragraphs described the methodology for compiling the story, saying 'three dozen' of the President’s 'current and former advisers' were interview sources for the story."

The memo cites another example that would seem to contradict the president's statement: "A second story, about cyberattacks on Iran nuclear facilities, citied discussions with 'officials involved in the program,' and went on to say that program 'remains highly classified.'"

In his conference, President Obama assured the American public that an investigation would be done. We'll see, then, who is right: the New York Times or the president.

Republicans on Leaks: Either President or Times Is Wrong | The Weekly Standard

NYT articles and related story:

Obama Order Sped Up Wave of Cyberattacks Against Iran

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/01/w...d-wave-of-cyberattacks-against-iran.html?_r=2

Secret ‘Kill List’ Proves a Test of Obama’s Principles and Will

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/29/world/obamas-leadership-in-war-on-al-qaeda.html

Obama: Leak allegations are 'offensive'

Obama: Leak allegations are 'offensive'

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
So, the President is involved in National Security meetings, and the NYTimes interviewed former advisors, that means that leaks are coming from the Whitehouse?

Illogical.

MapleDog

Time Out
Jun 1, 2012
St Calixte Quebec Canada
Yup, even Democrats are starting to realize that the emperor isn't wearing anything.

About Obama when he got elected,i thought it would be a nice change from the good old white boys(and by old i mean over or around 60)but i found extremelly idiotic to hear comments from people saying "Obama is the best prez we ever had" amazingly he was not in office yet,and had done nothing to justify this.

The Old Medic

Council Member
May 16, 2010
The World
You have demonstrated that you can not comprehend what you read, if you only saw "former advisers" in that article. it very clearly stated "current and former advisers".

It never ceases to amaze me the lengths that some people will go to to justify the actions of Mr. Obama.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
You have demonstrated that you can not comprehend what you read, if you only saw "former advisers" in that article. it very clearly stated "current and former advisers".

It never ceases to amaze me the lengths that some people will go to to justify the actions of Mr. Obama.

It's not all that hard to figure out, for years people bad mouthed and ridiculed Bush, now they realize if they continue the same procedure with Obama, they would probably be seen as "crying Wolf". Not rocket science! :lol: