Can we survive the New Golden Age of Oil

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Can We Survive the New Golden Age of Oil? - By Steve LeVine | Foreign Policy

Bye-Bye OPEC - By Logan Bayroff | Foreign Policy

Just months after an enormous discovery of natural gas off the coast of Israel, a local company has reported another potentially big strike -- an estimated 1.4 billion barrels of oil, in addition to more natural gas. The company, Israel Opportunity Energy Resources, says it will start drilling by the end of the year. All of a sudden, Israel has found itself a focus of the world's hydrocarbon interest.

Energy experts are tittering about a prodigious new golden age of oil and gas in the Eastern Mediterranean, where Israel and Cyprus could become substantial oil and natural gas exporters, in addition to some other surprising places including French Guiana, Kenya, North Dakota, and Somalia. All in all, say increasingly mainstream projections, the world is moving into a period of petroleum abundance, and not the scarcity that most industry hands embraced just months ago. Plus, the United States, or at least North America, may be on the cusp of energy independence while OPEC's days of über-influence are numbered.

What these experts have not said, however, is that while this new golden age may indeed shake up the currently rich and powerful and create new regional forces, it could also accelerate the swamping of the planet in melted Arctic ice. So much new oil may flood the market that crude and gasoline prices might moderate and lessen consumer incentives to economize. "In the absence of U.S. leadership, I tend to agree with NASA's James Hansen that it is 'game over for the planet,'" Peter Rutland, a professor at Wesleyan University, told me in an email exchange.

This unspoken flaw in the golden-age scenario suggests it might not unfold so smoothly. The projected turnaround of oil's sagging fortunes may indeed herald economic salvation for the U.S. and global economies. But the environmental consequences could also trip up its full realization.
In that context, Hansen's staunch opposition to Keystone resembles less a strong defensive position than the proverbial finger in the dike. Two weeks ago, the International Energy Agency (IEA) said that carbon dioxide emissions last year already neared an important line: the point at which the probability of global temperatures sticking to a maximum 2 degree Celsius rise above pre-Industrial Revolution levels dips below 50 percent. Carbon emissions reached a record 31.6 gigatons in 2011, just under the targeted 2017 maximum of 32.6 gigatons, the point at which the IEA wants emissions to start dropping. If the new oil finds are developed fully, you will instead "blow through your emissions targets," says Frank Verrastro, director of energy and security at the Center for Strategic and International Studies.

Where the oil-age theorists seem likely to experience almost no pushback is in the revolution in natural gas, with a flood of the fuel already flowing or on its way from Australia, Mozambique, Qatar, Tanzania, the United States, and elsewhere. In both China and the United States, this gas glut is leading utilities to convert coal-fired power plants to natural gas fueling, which burns far cleaner. "We're already seeing coal being pushed out due to low gas prices, which is undoubtedly having a positive impact on greenhouse gas emissions," says Paul Faeth, a senior fellow at CNA, a Washington think tank. Stacy VanDeveer, a professor at the University of New Hampshire, told me that both the gas and oil could be viewed as net positives by climate change groups to the degree that they serve as bridge fuels "to a much more efficient and mostly renewable energy future."

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Where will they find oil next,the north pole,the south pole.

Lots of oil- Lot of gas. Lots of shale gas- US will become self sufficient in 12 - 15 years- then an exporter - the Mid East can suck ass. Then revolution will come to visit them.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Great! Then it assured that our grandchildren will not be able to breath the air. Bunch of short sighted, greedy pin heads.

... But as long as they produce just enough to keep the lights and heat on for you, well , that's OK and the future kiddies will rejoice at the sound of your name.

How hypocritical

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
... But as long as they produce just enough to keep the lights and heat on for you, well , that's OK and the future kiddies will rejoice at the sound of your name.

How hypocritical
Yes captain. Your short sightedness is legendary.

And I realize that it is time to put my money where my mouth is and move back to the bush. I should be off line and off grid by the end of the month so you won't have me around any more to expose your hypocrisy.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C

And I realize that it is time to put my money where my mouth is and move back to the bush. I should be off line and off grid by the end of the month so you won't have me around any more to expose your hypocrisy.
Your carbon footprint will go up burning all that wood so I guess your grandchildren can partly thank you for not being able to breath.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
So I guess the declaration that we had reached peak oil might have been just a tad premature.

Do you understand what the concept of 'peak oil' refers to?

There's a difference between oil that is easy to extract, and economical at $40/bbl, and oil that is difficult but economic at $100/bbl.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
Do you understand what the concept of 'peak oil' refers to?

There's a difference between oil that is easy to extract, and economical at $40/bbl, and oil that is difficult but economic at $100/bbl.
Doesnt get any easier then where I'm at right now,they drill 2 wells,move 300 meters,drill 2 wells,move 300 meters,and on and on.None of them are dusters.

Within 3 weeks of being drilled they will be tied in and producing.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister

As is your hypocrisy. In fact, one might even be swayed to use the phrase 'of mythical proportions'.

Expose my hypocrisy?... I'm not the one whining about needless consumerism and abusing ole mother Gaia.

We'll talk later, maybe next month or so.

Your carbon footprint will go up burning all that wood so I guess your grandchildren can partly thank you for not being able to breath.

... But it won't be oil or gas (other than in his quad or snowmobile), so it's OK to burn as much as you can carry

Last edited:

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Hang in there Cliffy, you can't let the "no minds" get to you.......................some people just can't stand others' opinions. :lol: Has it quit raining in Nakusp?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
The other day he want to make partcle board from straw and starve soil, today he wants to burn wood and starve soil. He hates mama Gaia and life giving soil.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Hang in there Cliffy, you can't let the "no minds" get to you.......................some people just can't stand others' opinions. :lol: Has it quit raining in Nakusp?
No. Lots of rain.

I'm not leaving because of the no-minds. I just feel disconnected in town. Need to reconnect with my roots. I won't be gone that far, and when I come to town for supplies, I will be checking in here at the place I used to work that supplies free internet access for those who can't get it. As for the pin heads, karma will get 'em.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
No. Lots of rain.

I'm not leaving because of the no-minds. I just feel disconnected in town. Need to reconnect with my roots. I won't be gone that far, and when I come to town for supplies, I will be checking in here at the place I used to work that supplies free internet access for those who can't get it. As for the pin heads, karma will get 'em.
You have enemies? Good. That means you stood up for something,sometime in your life.

Winston Churchill

Enjoy your walkabout.

Kakato

Time Out
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta/N.W.T./Sask/B.C
I mean it Cliff,this is an internet forum,I have never met you so it's impossible to hate you,speaking up for what you believe in is a good thing no matter if its right or wrong,at over 50 years old I find it a waste of time to hate anyone.

Namaste,may you enjoy many cups of tea sitting in front of the fireplace contemplating your journey and enjoying the warmth and hearing nothing but birds outside and the odd wail of a coyote.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
This might poison the air and kill us but hey, we don't have to change our ways now and
we can afford big V8 engines and cheap gas. Don't you believe it.