"Sit your nappy-headed self down."

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
From Fark:

Teacher insults child with racist comment. Mother complains to principal. What happens next? a) teacher suspended b) teacher fired c) child expelled because of mom's complaint

Hmmm...the answer is..................

I'll take asinine for the win Alex.

"Sit your nappy-headed self down."

This was the comment that Brea Persley, a 13-year-old student at Century Academy For Excellence in Inglewood, Calif., received from teacher Kelly Dempsey last week in front of the entire classroom.

"When the kids started laughing, it brought back the memories of when I was in 4th grade and kids used to laugh at me and tease me," Persley said to KTLA in an exclusive video interview. KTLA footage of the school indicates that Dempsey is a white woman.

But it was the charter school's response to the teacher's actions that stunned Shronda Williams, Persley's mother, more than the alleged insensitive remark. According to Williams, principal Giselle Edman, who is African-American, shifted the blame onto Persley, saying, "Bad things need to happen to mean kids."

Persley later received an expulsion letter, citing her mother's scolding of the principal as the reason she was banned from school.

more

Brea Persley Kicked Out Of School When Mom Complained About Teacher's Insensitive Comment

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
I would like to suggest that "nappy headed" is a poor choice of words, but I also suspect that there is a bit more to this situation than a single incident.