Mulcair too loud on Alberta, too quiet on Quebec riots

skookumchuck

Council Member
Jan 19, 2012
Van Isle
Mulcair is too loud on Alberta, too mute on Quebec | Full Comment | National Post

For over 100 days now, Montreal has been the scene of protests, civil disorder and a couple of truly wild and vile incidents (the subway smoke bombs being the worst). Overall, it appears to be growing into a full-scale contest between government by normal means, and mob rule on the streets.
The original protests against tuition hikes quickly changed into a protest against the response to the protests. (This pattern is, since Seattle in 1999, almost a patented dynamic.) In the last few days, following the Charest government’s introduction of laws designed to set out some order among the growing chaos, the streets have overflowed, and the arrest tally — as I write — is over 2,500.
Related

Meantime, in the faraway province of Alberta, the resentment toward NDP leader Thomas Mulcair’s comments on the oil economy, and the oil sands project in particular, is wide and deep. Mulcair’s remarks have stirred the bitter ghost of the National Energy Program, that critical and not-yet-forgiven federal blundering into Alberta’s economy under Pierre Trudeau’s imperious hand. Once again, many Albertans are observing a national leader, a (potential) prime minister in waiting, decrying their success; and in part blaming the economic failures of Ontario, Quebec and New Brunswick on the success and prosperity of Alberta.
That’s how many Albertans are reading Mr. Mulcair’s repeated diagnosis of the “Dutch Disease.” And the NDP attempts at rebranding those words are finding little sympathy out West.
It also has occurred to many Canadians that while Mr. Mulcair is extremely fluent, even voluble, on the subject of Alberta, and the development of the oil sands, he and all 57 members of his Quebec caucus seem quite mute on the subject of the turmoil and riots on the streets of Montreal.
It’s an odd spectacle. Dabble freely in Alberta’s affairs, but stay quiet on the home province.
Mr. Mulcair has said, obscurely, that he sees education as a “provincial jurisdiction.” That is an ignominious passing of the buck in the context of the last 100 days. The same applies to his claim that the NDP’s overwhelmingly Québécois character “doesn’t involve weighing in on Quebec provincial debates.”
There is something potentially very inflammatory about the current moment. It was not many years ago that an ugly incident in Brockville, Ont. — a trampling on the Quebec flag, supposedly in “response” to the burning of the Canadian flag in Quebec — mightily soured French-English relations in this country. Mindful of that example, and of the various sensitivities involved here, we need all the quiet, unabrasive voices we have.
The NDP isn’t alone: Liberals and Conservatives also have been staying as low as they can on the protest issue. And they should speak out against the protesters, as well. But it is Mr. Mulcair who potentially has more real leverage over events in Quebec than anyone else in Ottawa. The federal NDP should not be a spectator to the crisis. They are best situated to offer a moderating voice.
For very allied reasons, this is the very worst time for Mr. Mulcair to be spending his time criticizing the economic and political management of a province thousands of kilometres to the West, where the oil wells are humming, but the streets are quiet and orderly.
National Post

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Actually Mulcair is going through the challenge of being a national opposition leader.
To his credit, Mulcair even with all his warts does not appear to be a dumb as the
former Reform Leader Preston Manning. Manning at the beginning of his leadership
had both feet in his mouth almost daily until he gradually became part of the political
scenery. There are others who were really asinine remember a proof is a proof is a
proof? That didn't hurt Jean in the long run either.
On the oil sands he is approaching the Alberta Premier and I think he will develop a
more knowledgeable position on that industry. If I understand it rightly, his position is
There is nothing wrong with developing resources. Make sure the environmental
aspects of it are correct. and make sure the job benefits go to Canadians. I don't see
too much wrong with that. I want to see the resource developed, I want to see its
environmentally as friendly as possible and I want to see the jobs go to Canadians.
We don't need a pipeline to America we need refineries in Canada and sell value added
to those who can pay for it.
On Quebec I agree. This is about much more that tuition fees, the Quebec Government
has made it about, the fundamental principals of democracy. Civil disobedience is part
of a democratic society. No I am not in favour of violence and while some idiots have
resorted to it, the majority have not. The position of the student demands at present are
a little lofty alright but that is what youth is about. We want them involved when they
become involved we are shocked when they don't believe what older people believe.
These young people show they care about society at least and for that reason I support
the fact they are taking an interest and standing up for what the believe. Hell, their parents
and grand parents (you and I) can't seem to even get our fanny off the couch to go vote.
They no longer criticize us they take action on their own, more power to them.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Probably true. Even I want him to shut up or at least tone it down on the Alberta stuff. I also dont think I've heard him say anything more than a sound bite on the Quebec situation.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Actually Mulcair is liked by most Canadians and that is proving difficult for the
Tories and the Liberals alike. I might do well for most to be quiet for a while
and let him make a significant blunder but that has not happened yet.
There are two quiet revolutions going on. The Tories aer trying to mold the
Canadian agenda into their own image. Lately the polls indicate seniors and
youth are lining up with Mulcair and a counter revolution of their own.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
The Tories aer trying to mold the Canadian agenda into their own image. Lately the polls indicate seniors and youth are lining up with Mulcair and a counter revolution of their own.

It's time for some party pooping.

When it comes down to the nitty gritty, there is no agenda, government works on the premise of "good cop/bad cop" to achieve long term goals that take 20 years to see results.

Oil sands is a perfect example. All three parties support it yet all three play different roles to see an overall outcome.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Actually Mulcair is liked by most Canadians and that is proving difficult for the

I don't know. Mulcair dismissing the three western-most Premiers as being
to lowly to bother speaking to, soured me on this.....dude. Those three
Premiers are the direct representative voices for those same provinces, &
if the Premiers can be sleighed and shrugged off so easily by this guy, then
he's also doing the same thing to those same provinces & their populations.
I'm not in Thomas Mulcair's fan club.

I guess "most Canadians" don't live east of Manitoba, but many of us do that
he's already writen off as too lowely to bother with other than as some place
to point his finger at while politic'n strictly for Manitoba and points east of that.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I think any Fed of any political stripe is going to tred lightly in what is essentially a Quebec issue

It's 25% of the population of Canada, & with poor (60%?) voter
turn-out nationally....if Quebec voters turn out in force, they can
elect the next government for the country for all intents and
purposes.

LiesOfTheIntell

Time Out
Feb 19, 2012
London, Ontario
Rex Murphy - patisian shill for the right, posing as a populist, supported by Canada's most right wing rag the 'National' Post.

He's exceedingly clever in directing, controlling, subverting call in comments and the ensuing commentary, or lack of, on his Radio Canada program. Yet he's strongly supported by "The voice of Canadians" (lol) CBC Radio. One wonders why. Or should we? Teh CBC is an arm of the gov't. I remember their coverage of the G20 protests well, they emphasized the unruliness, the unlawfullness of the protest. The Voice of Canadians? Maybe not, perhaps it is more the voice of the gov't.

Sorry Rex, Mulcair can't be everything to everyone all the time. So what if he's been quiet on Quebec, you right wind shills in corporate media have already done a good job spinning and lieing about the Quebec student protest. Why are you silent on the truth of this matter? Why the spin and lies Rex? It is not about tuition costs, it is about social inequity. I found an article in the Huffington Post quite interesting, for example in Quebec there is only one tax rate for those earning about $85K. The article also highlighted the widespread cronyism and culture of corruption between political and economic elites in Quebec.

But you won't hear a right wing shill like Rex Murphy talking about that.

More here.

"If you don't read the papers you are uninformed, if you read the papers you are misinformed."

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister

Holy cow... What color is the sky in your world?