Neil Armstrong breaks his silence to give accountants moon exclusive

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Yes, accountants.

His dad was one so I guess that helped nail the deal. Anyway, if you haven'y heard this man speak before, this 4 part hour long opportunity is worth it.

Notoriously reclusive Apollo 11 astronaut Neil Armstrong gives video interview to Certified Practicing Accountants of Australia

As the first person to walk on the moon, he is a man whose name will be remembered for generations to come. But one of the other well-known things about Neil Armstrong is that he hardly ever gives interviews.

It was therefore something of a coup for Alex Malley, chief executive of Certified Practicing Accountants of Australia, to secure almost an hour of Armstrong's time to discuss the astronaut's trip to the moon.

In the illuminating conversation posted online on the CPA Australia website, Armstrong revealed how he thought his mission, Apollo 11, only had a 50% chance of landing safely on the moon's surface and said it was "sad" that the current US government's ambitions for Nasa were so reduced compared with the achievements of the 1960s.

"Nasa has been one of the most successful public investments in motivating students to do well and achieve all they can achieve," said Armstrong. "It's sad that we are turning the programme in a direction where it will reduce the amount of motivation and stimulation it provides to young people."

more and the link to the video too:

Neil Armstrong breaks silence to give accountants moon exclusive | Science | The Guardian

CPA Australia presents An Audience with Neil Armstrong

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
This is only the second time i've seen him speak. The first was on 60 minutes a few years ago. He looks very comfortable as a speaker. Im surprised that he doesnt do it often. Buzz Aldrin on the other hand is almost always talking.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
This is only the second time i've seen him speak. The first was on 60 minutes a few years ago. He looks very comfortable as a speaker. Im surprised that he doesnt do it often. Buzz Aldrin on the other hand is almost always talking.
When you are the most recognized man on the planet, you get hounded day in day out. It was killing his personal life and freedom. that is why he stopped doing public speaking. He even stopped going to restaurants because it was too stressful having people approach him.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
When you are the most recognized man on the planet, you get hounded day in day out. It was killing his personal life and freedom. that is why he stopped doing public speaking. He even stopped going to restaurants because it was too stressful having people approach him.

Understandable. I had no idea what he looked like until a few years ago. I saw the Apollo 11 pictures but nothing current til the 60 minutes interview I spoke of. He seems to have been very successful at staying private.