All schools must allow ‘gay-straight alliances’ under new anti-bullying bill

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
All schools, including those in the Catholic system, would be forced to allow anti-homophobic clubs to be called “gay-straight alliances” under dramatic changes to a proposed anti-bullying law.

The change of heart on the minority Liberal government’s Accepting Schools Act — which had allowed school principals a veto on names for any student club — was announced Friday afternoon by Education Minister Laurel Broten.

“We believe it’s up to the students,” she told reporters, saying it’s “important for students to have the freedom.”

The move, which has the support of the NDP, comes as an amendment to the government’s anti-bullying bill — which Broten hopes to pass before the legislature rises for its summer break June 7.

Her amendment follows legislative committee hearings on the controversial legislation, which has been a flashpoint at Queen’s Park since it was proposed following the suicides of two students last year — one gay and another with muscular dystrophy.

more

Canada News: All schools must allow

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
When I was in school the culture ignored this issue. For most people, myself included, gay rights was a complete unknown. I wish that hadn't been the case. I wish the issue could have been in the public discourse at the time. I would have joined one of these groups and it might have helped a lot of people. It's the great that these kids will have something they can stand up for.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Well done, I hope it passes without incident. Seems a silly thing to get caught up on anyway, the name. I mean if you can't even have the word gay in the name then how in the hell are they ever going to push passed this stupid homophobic attitude to a place where no one is bashed, beaten or mocked simply because of who they are.

Edit: And +1 for the OP. We really need to have the opportunity to give those.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving

Wait for the blow back - lack of cooperation form the Catholic School Boards-

Separate education should be turfed.

Church and school serve 2 different purposes - Why am I paying for a religious based education.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Now all the homosexuals will lead happy lives and contribute positively to society.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Walter come on, everyone knows that not everyone is going to be happy, but its time
to address the issue of bullying and the people most effected by such actions.
My father used to say the only good conservative was a dead one and that is not true
either.
We have to get over the old hatreds and fears of the past and debate each other on the
basis of merit on the issue. Whether someone is gay or not is none of my business. I
don't need to be afraid of that person, or bully them, or deny them equal rights in a society.
We don't need to use excuses anymore for our actions either. All too often I hear people
using religion as the basis for their discrimination. That of course does not hold water.
For those who would set out to save every soul on the planet, Christ didn't give anyone
on earth the power to demand an individual did or did not do anything.
The time has come, to end the debate and accept the principal that all citizens are to be
treated with equality and respect. We don't have to like people or groups but we do have
to respect others have rights and be treated equally before the law. I am surprised we
are still having a confrontational discussion about this in the twenty first century.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa

Church and school serve 2 different purposes - Why am I paying for a religious based education.

Agreed. That is one of many things I'd like fixed in the constitution. Even Quebec has stopped doing that.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Agreed. That is one of many things I'd like fixed in the constitution. Even Quebec has stopped doing that.

NFLD & Labrador did this a few years ago. Everyone is deserving of respect, no discrimination because of sexual orientation. I knew that in the 70's -My God - What is wrong with people. A perverted perspective of religion and yes those that have no religious beliefs- It is nothing but cross dressing discrimination.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
Poor old Catholics. They've had to give up a lot in the last few decades, like protecting pedophile priests for example.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON

Harper campained on not opening the constitution, so it certainly won't happen at least until after the next election.

But remember too that according to some in this forum, to propose removing discrimination on the basis of religion in the constitution is somehow biggoted against Catholics. I still haven't figured it yet, but apparently so.

The Catholic message is a simple one to the gays 'Do Not Enrol In This School"

Are you talking about private catholic schools or public?

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
Harper campained on not opening the constitution, so it certainly won't happen at least until after the next election.

But remember too that according to some in this forum, to propose removing discrimination on the basis of religion in the constitution is somehow biggoted against Catholics. I still haven't figured it yet, but apparently so.

Are you talking about private catholic schools or public?

Public