Florida lowers passing grade for state writing exam

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
The Florida Board of Education voted unanimously to lower the passing grade for a state writing test after complaints from educators that the state pushed through tests with inadequate time for teachers and students to prepare, the News-Press out of Fort Myers, Fla., reports.

The educators :roll: blamed the situation for causing low test scores, the news organization reports.

Educators have also complained that the Florida Comprehensive Assessment Tests, administered to fourth-, eighth and 10th-grade students, counts punctuation and spelling but had not done so before, according to the News-Press.

The vote lowers the passing grade in the test from 4 to 3, and test scores range from 1 to 6, the News-Press reports.
This year, only a third of students passed the test, compared with 80% last year, according to the newspaper.

"When I saw the dramatic drop in scores, I saw that overnight, students didn't just become bad writers," Gerard Robinson, a Florida Department of Education commissioner, told the News-Press. "There should have been more follow-up in the change in rigor, seriousness of the task and the impact on schools."

Joseph Burke, superintendent of Lee County, Fla., Schools, said, "I don't think there is any doubt the students were not prepared for the new standards. When you have that kind of a dramatic drop on a statewide test, you have to conclude that there was a missing element in the preparation, instruction and expectations of what would be demanded of students."

Florida lowers passing grade for state writing exam

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
Nothing really new there. In Alberta the same thing happened with the Social 30 Diploma exam. The essay component of the exam was so complex that it was almost impossible to get a decent score. I marked the exams for 20 years and the original essay had at least eight different components that had to be graded. If any of the components were missing then marks were deducted. As a result there was always a 15% difference between the essay component of the exam and the multiple choice component. The Department of Education''s answer to the problem was to continually make the essay question easier and increase the difficulty of the multiple choice in order order to bring the two scores in line. The department never did succeed in bringing down the multiple choice scores (teachers were simply too good at anticipating what the questions would be and preparing students for them). However, the essay scores eventually did come up once both the marking standards and the essay question was adjusted. BTW the same thing happened in the final exam for Math, Physics, and Chemistry as well. Dumbing down the questions was much easier than raising the skills of the students.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Considering that many governments have in fact revised the spelling of their national languages, and that English is the most difficult European language to learn to read (The English Spelling Society):

“Children from a majority of European countries become accurate and fluent in foundation level reading before the end of the first school year. ....The rate of development in English is more than twice as slow.”

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Considering that many governments have in fact revised the spelling of their national languages, and that English is the most difficult European language to learn to read (The English Spelling Society):

“Children from a majority of European countries become accurate and fluent in foundation level reading before the end of the first school year. ....The rate of development in English is more than twice as slow.”

English is a much harder language to learn. We have words that mean 3 different things and spelled differently but pronounced the same, we have words spelled the same but having 2 different meanings, we have the whole i before e rule which has so many exceptions that it really isn't a rule. Actually most of our rules are like that. European languages have their various sets of verbs and how to use them (I remember trying to learn them in French -- I was not successful), English is more ad-hoc.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
As long as the students have self-sesteem and aren't bullies everything is OK. We don't need no education.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Sounds logical from a bureaucratic perspective. Always aim for the lowest common denominator.
Perhaps they should take a serious look at the curriculum and see if they are teaching what is required instead of what is easy or in vogue.