800-year-old cedar taken from B.C. park

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
A giant 800-year-old red cedar tree has been poached from a provincial park on southern Vancouver Island, but the culprits who repeatedly returned to the site to hack it down may never be brought to justice.

Torrance Coste of the Wilderness Committee said consistent budget cuts over the last decade mean park rangers rarely monitor remote sites such as the Carmanah-Walbran Provincial Park, from where the cedar was chopped.

"Whoever's doing this knows that no one's going to have eyes on this park for months at a time so it's exceptionally easy to do what they've done," Coste said Thursday.

He said that last month, a member of the environmental group became aware of the poached tree and took a photo of about 20 per cent of its remains.

more

800-year-old cedar taken from B.C. park - British Columbia - CBC News

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Leaving all that valuable timber on the ground to rot is the true crime. In Germany they are smart enough to log their parks. Here we let money rot to appease a bunch of citiots while loggers are unemployed.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
1. That is really, really sad..

2. Hope someone turn them in to the law..

People that do that kind'a **** have to have some sort'a mental issue, a chip on their shoulder about society as a whole. Losers with a capital L...

Looking on the bright side, they are obviously not afraid of work. Now if they were drawing welfare to boot I'd be really pissed off.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Too bad they weren't working at a pulp mill or sawmill but they've been greened out of employment and now have to cut illegal shakes to put food on the table.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Looking on the bright side, they are obviously not afraid of work. Now if they were drawing welfare to boot I'd be really pissed off.

Who knows their personal situations. They could be meth heads for all you know, hoping to unload some cedar lumber to finance their addictions.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Coste, who measured rings on the stump, said the cedar, which is valuable for
roof shakes, was probably about 800 years old and measured 2.75 metres
across.
Unemployed native guys... This isn't new. They been cutting shakes for the past century but they've been greened out of the forest by hippies.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Hippies, rednecks, citiots, greenies, capitalist pigs, death agents... my the English language is becoming colourful, eh!

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Who knows their personal situations. They could be meth heads for all you know, hoping to unload some cedar lumber to finance their addictions.

That is a possibility, on the other hand they could have a wife and six kids at home, waiting for Dad to "bring home the bacon". LOL

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I'm the same way about trees and bears. I get a warm and fuzzy feeling when I hear a bear eats a human and I get a severe pain in my stomach when I see a fresh clear cut.

Clear cuts are OK as long as they are kept small and a scattering of trees are left to impede erosion and enhance regeneration. Having had experience at falling I am quite familiar with the hazards of falling into standing timber. Safety concerns alone dictate you should always be falling from an "open face".

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
This is within spitting distance of Nakusp.

This is not logging, it is rape.