Band vs Ticketmaster

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Not bad.

One Friday afternoon recently, about 50 fans and friends of the band String Cheese Incident took $20,000 in cash to the Greek Theater in Los Angeles to take a small stand against the system — in this case, Ticketmaster.

With money advanced by the band, each person had enough to buy eight tickets at $49.95 apiece for the group’s show in July. Once all tickets were in hand, almost 400 of them, they were carried back to String Cheese headquarters in Colorado and put on sale again through the group’s Web site — for $49.95.

“We’re scalping our own tickets at no service charge,” Mike Luba, one of the group’s managers, explained in an interview last week. “It’s ridiculous.”

String Cheese Incident, a jam band with a solid if under-the-radar following, wants to offer tickets to its whole summer tour without the service fees, now ubiquitous, charged by Ticketmaster and other vendors. To do that it is going through much more rigmarole than almost any group would bother with, but feels strongly that the effort is worthwhile.

“It costs us money to sell the tickets,” Keith Moseley, the band’s bassist, said. “But we are going to eat that cost this summer in order to make a better deal for our fans and let them know how much we appreciate them.”

With the summer touring season starting, the band’s challenge to the entrenched ticket-sales system is a reminder of how ticketing may be the concert industry’s most charged issue, affecting artists, fans and all sides of the business.

more

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/16/a...takes-on-ticketmaster.html?_r=2&smid=tw-share

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Good for them! I'm all for as much direct marketing as possible, when it comes to entertainment particularly. I'm sure it's all the middle men distributors (the non-creative ones with their fingers in the pies) that jack up all the prices anyway. Ticket prices for any live entertainment event are astronomical.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
For sure. I just spent $165 to get a ticket to see Leonard Cohen. Thats the most I've ever paid for a ticket.

That's just ridiculous! I don't mind someone taking their due, distributors, advertisers and what not, but that's just gauging!

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
That's just ridiculous! I don't mind someone taking their due, distributors, advertisers and what not, but that's just gauging!
$165 is cheap. Wifey made me dump $200 a ticket for Madonna in Vancouver in Sept. I don't wannnnnna gooooooo.

I have to miss RUSH in S'toon on the same night. Box seats yet. BOX SEATS! Dammit!

GroundWater

Electoral Member
Oct 27, 2008
Gibbons
Not bad.

One Friday afternoon recently, about 50 fans and friends of the band String Cheese Incident took $20,000 in cash to the Greek Theater in Los Angeles to take a small stand against the system — in this case, Ticketmaster.

With money advanced by the band, each person had enough to buy eight tickets at $49.95 apiece for the group’s show in July. Once all tickets were in hand, almost 400 of them, they were carried back to String Cheese headquarters in Colorado and put on sale again through the group’s Web site — for $49.95.

“We’re scalping our own tickets at no service charge,” Mike Luba, one of the group’s managers, explained in an interview last week. “It’s ridiculous.”

String Cheese Incident, a jam band with a solid if under-the-radar following, wants to offer tickets to its whole summer tour without the service fees, now ubiquitous, charged by Ticketmaster and other vendors. To do that it is going through much more rigmarole than almost any group would bother with, but feels strongly that the effort is worthwhile.

“It costs us money to sell the tickets,” Keith Moseley, the band’s bassist, said. “But we are going to eat that cost this summer in order to make a better deal for our fans and let them know how much we appreciate them.”

With the summer touring season starting, the band’s challenge to the entrenched ticket-sales system is a reminder of how ticketing may be the concert industry’s most charged issue, affecting artists, fans and all sides of the business.

more

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/16/a...takes-on-ticketmaster.html?_r=2&smid=tw-share
Pearl Jam tried it, they couldnt beat them.