BC couple awarded $ 8000.00 by HRC over neighbors smoking

skookumchuck

Council Member
Jan 19, 2012
Van Isle
British Columbia

A couple who say they became sick and anxious because neighbours were smoking on their balconies have been awarded more than $8,000, despite presenting only "marginal" medical evidence to the B.C. Human Rights Tribunal.
Melanie and Matthew McDaniel filed the human rights complaint because they were unhappy with their strata's response to numerous complaints about the cigarette smoke wafting up from the suites below. They said the problem amounted to discrimination because it exacerbated their disabilities; Matthew suffers from Type 1 diabetes, while Melanie has extreme environmental allergies.
In a decision issued Monday, tribunal chairman Bernd Walter awarded the McDaniels compensation for the purchase of an air conditioner and naturopathic consultations, as well as "injury to their dignity, feelings and self respect."
Walter wrote that for much of the three years the McDaniels spent living in the Langley Metro One condo complex, "they were subjected to secondhand smoke to a degree they found beyond unacceptable and debilitating. During periods of increased smoke infiltration, their health risks and stress levels escalated."
He went on to say that the strata's response, "while not overtly aggressive or confrontive, was indecisive and minimizing of the McDaniels' distress to the point that they came to hate their home."
Melanie McDaniel kept a "smoke fume log" detailing the problem over a span of nearly two years, and wrote that the smoke caused her to suffer insomnia, sneezing, sore throat, hives, depression and anxiety.
The strata argued that the McDaniels had not provided enough medical evidence to prove the secondhand fumes had a more severe impact on them than it would on the rest of the population, but Walter said he was satisfied that the couple's health and happiness had been "severely diminished" by the smoke.
A previous tribunal decision had described the McDaniels' information about the specific health impacts they suffered as "marginal." An endocrinologist's report on the specific dangers of secondhand smoke for diabetics, according to the tribunal, "liberally crosses the line into advocacy rather than opinion evidence," and a letter from a naturopath "is not as clear as it might be."
However, the tribunal pointed out that there is "certainly some information" connecting secondhand smoke to increased health risks for the McDaniels.
The couple moved into the complex in March 2008, when Melanie McDaniel was pregnant with their first child. They made their first complaint about their neighbours' smoking a few months later, when the warm summer weather made it necessary to open the windows.
They were told that smoking was not prohibited in common spaces and advised to buy an air conditioner. The McDaniels made regular complaints about the smoke in the following years, but the strata acknowledged to the tribunal that it did not do enough to address their health concerns.
"The [strata] failed to seek or inquire into more fulsome information with respect to the extent of their physical vulnerabilities and responded with what can best be termed a patronizing or benign neglect, for a period of almost three years," Walter wrote in his decision.
That strata did, however, write letters to the people living below the McDaniels, asking them not to smoke on their patios, and suggest that the McDaniels gather the support of 25 per cent of owners in the complex to trigger a special meeting on the subject of a non-smoking bylaw.
The McDaniels were forced to leave the building in June 2011 because their home was foreclosed.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Oh yeah!!! That's great.. my neighbor smokes pot all the time.. wonder what I can get from HRC - "I'm high all the time judge, getting a contact high (hotboxing) from my neighbor down stairs..."

Fukking BC Hippies.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
My neighbours are whiny. It hurts my ears and gives me constipation.

Where do you sign up for the free money?

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Dunno - but I want some. My neighbour's dog keeps pooping in my yard. Some of it splatted on me when I hit it with a lawnmower.

Anyone else notice the complainant's symptoms are much the same as in depression (as in down due to a foreclosure) or the stress created in a control freak who isn't getting his/her own way?

Karma.... She's a bitch

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I live next to a city park and the flowers and trees exacerbate my hay fever. This is discrimination. I demand compensation from the city.

wizard

Time Out
Nov 18, 2011
... this civil rights tribunal should not be in existence since there already is a civil court system for hearing disuptes ...

... just another venue for the canadian bar to exploit its victims ...

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
This is why many people doubt logic itself. The law was intended to service a need.
The problem is it became another catch all like Unemployment Insurance. Yes the
old Unemployment insurance, you are not isnured for employment you are insured
in case you become unemployed. The problem here is the society, not the government,
society is now determining what is legal or a liability and there is your problem.
Individual responsibility be damned. If I were to, heaven forbid purchase an condo or
even rent an apartment, you would think they would determine whether or not there were
people smoking in the dwelling period.
These people actually need medical attention for anxiety and nervous conditions if they are
in that much fear over a neighbour smoking. Of course we will also believe things we know
are not true, because a television commercial campaign tells us so. Here are some
examples.

There is such a thing as Clean Coal.
The oils sand cares about the environment, that is at least partially true
BP is doing all it can to bring the Gulf of Mexico back to economic health.
And of course pouring milk down the sink is destroying the environment,
and for that matter our early history was affected by dinosaur farts.
That is how they are able to persuade people to have sympathy for nonsense.
No amount of legislation can ensure sanity or intelligence, and no amount of social
engineering will cure the current condition, people speaking up in a meaningful way
will change the perception that we as citizens don't care. Treat that first and the
politicians will set the qualification rules on these boards and commissions and the
problems will begin to solve themselves.

wizard

Time Out
Nov 18, 2011
... presumably this was heard in vancouver which is notorious for discriminatory court judgments that defy logic and law ...

relic

Council Member
Nov 29, 2009
Nova Scotia
Didja hear that vegins {?}think they have discrimination case because prisoners,PRISONERS!! can't get special vegin food.in jail.
Geebus !!

skookumchuck

Council Member
Jan 19, 2012
Van Isle
Many of us grew up and proceeded through life just fine after (gasp!) having to suffer the consequences of occasional stupidity.
Laws have historically been written by lawyers, for lawyers, but the PC crowd is catching up to them.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Many of us grew up and proceeded through life just fine after (gasp!) having to suffer the consequences of occasional stupidity.
Laws have historically been written by lawyers, for lawyers, but the PC crowd is catching up to them.

Guess I must be smart because I learned from all the stupid things I have done.