Brothers were wrongly punished for criticizing professor on Facebook

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
University infringed freedom of speech by disciplining Facebook commenters

CALGARY — Alberta’s highest court is siding with University of Calgary students Keith and Steven Pridgen, who say their charter rights were violated when the school punished them for criticizing a professor on Facebook.

The Court of Appeal upheld Wednesday a lower court ruling that found the Charter of Rights and Freedoms do apply when universities are meting out discipline to students.

“I’m very happy with the decision. It’s as good as we reasonably could have expected it to go,” said Keith Pridgen, who was caught up in the legal case with his twin brother Steven.

The University of Calgary said in a news release it was reviewing the reasons for the judgment.

In 2007 the brothers posted critical remarks in a Facebook group devoted to complaints about one of their professors, Aruna Mitra, who was teaching a Law and Society course for the first time.

The Facebook page was titled, “I no longer fear Hell, I took a course with Aruna Mitra.”

The court decision describes how the comments were highly critical of Mitra’s qualifications and teaching skills. She was described as “inept,” “illogically abrasive” and “inconsistent.”

Steven Pridgen complained about a mark.

“Somehow I think she just got lazy and gave everybody a 65 . . . that’s what I got. Does anybody know how to apply to have it remarked?” he posted.

Keith Pridgen posted how he was excited when he learned Mitra wasn’t teaching any course the following semester. “I think we should all congratulate ourselves for leaving a Mitra-free legacy,” he wrote.

Mitra complained to university administration and the school went after 10 members of the Facebook group, including the Pridgens.

The university found all of the students guilty of non-academic misconduct.

Meh, she sounds like a biatch anyway. :lol:

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Some universities have really weird rules. They should have no say in what a student does off campus.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Some universities have really weird rules. They should have no say in what a student does off campus.

... And if the professor elected to post their personal opinion about the students (by name and school of course) as it related to their performance?

Would that be OK if they did it on their own time?