Amazon considers Canada the 51st state, not international like the UK or Italy

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
If you go through the checkout at Amazon.ca you get a line at the top left asking for International (outside of Canada). Canada is lumped in with the USA and not considered international. Canada ought to be placed in the international category like the UK and Italy already are. The mythical 51st state lives on here in the politically naive minds of Amazon.com. Like many would say, "Oh, we're not political here, we just sell." Wrong, Amazon is political here and they need to make adjustments.

Same goes for self publishing an ebook on Amazon.com, you must go through Amazon.com because there is no Amazon.ca to sell through.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
If you go through the checkout at Amazon.ca you get a line at the top left asking for International (outside of Canada). Canada is lumped in with the USA and not considered international. Canada ought to be placed in the international category like the UK and Italy already are. The mythical 51st state lives on here in the politically naive minds of Amazon.com. Like many would say, "Oh, we're not political here, we just sell." Wrong, Amazon is political here and they need to make adjustments.

Same goes for self publishing an ebook on Amazon.com, you must go through Amazon.com because there is no Amazon.ca to sell through.

Perhaps they look at it as simpler for marketing- shipping and such. Now take the twist out of your pantiies

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto

You are on the Amazon.ca which is a Canadian web site, Amazon.com is the American web site

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
lol.... I'd be appalled if .ca sites were treating us as international.

Even so, let's pretend you were on .com. I see no reason that Canada should be lumped in with overseas shipping when we're not overseas. Parts of Canada are actually closer to where Amazon's headquarters are than most of the US is.

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
lol.... I'd be appalled if .ca sites were treating us as international.

Even so, let's pretend you were on .com. I see no reason that Canada should be lumped in with overseas shipping when we're not overseas. Parts of Canada are actually closer to where Amazon's headquarters are than most of the US is.

There is also that NAFTA thing helping out. I'd kill to have a free trade agreement between Canada and Europe. Paying import fees to receive Christmas presents is kind of heart chilling.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
First of all I do not see this as a problem at all. To the others I don't want a free trade deal
with any other countries. No more cheap stuff coming in to compete with Canadian business
especially when the companies are often our own, making money off some Canadians while
putting others on the unemployment line. These companies want all the profits and none of
the expenses of running the country. Their buddies in government keep making deals that
weaken the fabric of the Canadian middle class. Its also bad for agriculture.
As for books, there is already a deal there, its also a fact we are neighbours and overseas
costs should not apply. Some people like to make issues where there are none.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
You all know my position on the u.s. and this is a non starter for even me. What's wrong dumpy, tired of getting beat up on the native, the monarchy and the immigration issues? Gonna try your hand at something else?

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
You all know my position on the u.s. and this is a non starter for even me. What's wrong dumpy, tired of getting beat up on the native, the monarchy and the immigration issues? Gonna try your hand at something else?

On the one hand, he's finally branching out.

But on the other hand, he's branching out. 8O

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
We'll just give up our sovereignty to USA corporations for cheaper shipping. A fair price for some. Because Amazon considers Canada part of the USA, does Fed Ex and UPS agree with Amazon? No one has checked yet.

If you go to Fed Ex's web site, shipping a ten kilogram box from Los Angeles to Seattle costs from $15 to $134. shipping the same box from LA to Vancouver has only one price, $134, and it's international priority. Canada is international to Fed Ex and it costs much more.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
If you go through the checkout at Amazon.ca you get a line at the top left asking for International (outside of Canada). Canada is lumped in with the USA and not considered international. Canada ought to be placed in the international category like the UK and Italy already are.

Yeah! They should be charging us way more for shipping! Those bastards!

The mythical 51st state lives on here in the politically naive minds of Amazon.com. Like many would say, "Oh, we're not political here, we just sell." Wrong, Amazon is political here and they need to make adjustments.
Political? Just because they, for the purposes of shipping a commercial product, consider North America to be one solid land mass? Hmmm, specific terminology seems to be a big issue with you. Maybe you should try being that particular when it comes to the terminology of First Nations vs "Indians".

Why, are you looking to publish?

We'll just give up our sovereignty to USA corporations for cheaper shipping. A fair price for some. Because Amazon considers Canada part of the USA, does Fed Ex and UPS agree with Amazon? No one has checked yet.

If you go to Fed Ex's web site, shipping a ten kilogram box from Los Angeles to Seattle costs from $15 to $134. shipping the same box from LA to Vancouver has only one price, $134, and it's international priority. Canada is international to Fed Ex and it costs much more.

Ok, so now here you seem ticked that Fed Ex has the audacity to charge more for shipping from the U.S. because it has to go over the border.

Just what exactly is your 'bitch du jour' anyway?

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
Yeah! They should be charging us way more for shipping! Those bastards!

Political? Just because they, for the purposes of shipping a commercial product, consider North America to be one solid land mass? Hmmm, specific terminology seems to be a big issue with you. Maybe you should try being that particular when it comes to the terminology of First Nations vs "Indians".

Why, are you looking to publish?

Ok, so now here you seem ticked that Fed Ex has the audacity to charge more for shipping from the U.S. because it has to go over the border.

Just what exactly is your 'bitch du jour' anyway?

With so many inconsistencies, it's difficult to find a starting point.

Fed Ex charges whatever they need to stay in business.

Shipping with Fed Ex from the USA to Canada costs much more, in fact, their maximum rate. That's not the case with the USA. Are people so rich here they don't care? No, they just don't know and don't care. The wildly opinionated here but sadly uninformed don't like their ignorant assumptions challenged.

I had a business and had product shipped from the USA and it was a hassle because of customs. Many still believe in the undefended border, and it's long gone, pure BS. Ooh, they like us. Deluded. But most people have never had to import anything from the USA for resale so they are clueless.

What's your definition of the difference between First Nations and Indians?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
So, the key question dtm.... where does Amazon.CA (btw, the .ca means 'Canada'), ship from? Why should a .ca (Canadian) website, be treating Canada as international exactly?