Supreme Court to rule on random alcohol testing

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Supreme Court to rule on random alcohol testing - The Globe and Mail

Supreme Court to rule on random alcohol testing

It’s a fight that began with one pulp-and-paper mill worker in Saint John, and a “zero” reading on a breath-analysis alcohol test six years ago. Now, it is headed to Canada’s highest court.

The case, which pits the Communications Energy and Paperworkers Union of Canada Local 30 against Irving Pulp & Paper Ltd., is being watched closely by employment lawyers across Canada, who say it could have broad implications.

At issue is whether mandatory, random alcohol tests are reasonable impositions on unionized workers in so-called “safety-sensitive” jobs, even in workplaces with no demonstrated problem with drunkenness.

It’s a question that pits the privacy of workers against an employer’s obligation to provide a safe workplace – and it is a dilemma that has twisted courts and labour tribunals into knots.

Legal experts say the Irving case could be pivotal for the growing number of employers with similar testing policies, as the Supreme Court weighs in on a murky area of the law that has developed differently across the country.

The mill, the N.B. appeal court said, has a “$350-million pressure boiler with a ‘high potential’ for explosion,” makes use of hazardous substances and could be the source of a “major catastrophe” such as a chemical spill.

The union’s lawyer on the Supreme Court case, Joël Michaud of Pink Larkin in Fredericton says simply establishing that the workplace is dangerous is not enough to justify the intrusion.

Employers, he said, must have a real reason to bring in testing, such as an incident, or a “near-miss.” Or the tests must only apply to employees returning to the workplace from rehab.

If the case goes his way, he said, it could encourage other unions to challenge alcohol testing policies on similar grounds, he said.

“This issue has been floating around since the early ‘90s,” Mr. Michaud said. “There’s a number of cases out there that support our approach, in that an employer was able to demonstrate a culture of alcohol or drug abuse in the workplace.”

Irving has hired Neil Finkelstein of McCarthy Tétrault LLP. A spokeswoman for the law firm said he declined to comment.

Employment lawyers who act for big companies will be watching the case closely. Barbara Johnston of Fraser Milner Casgrain LLP in Calgary, who has acted for oil companies and others in disputes over drug and alcohol testing, says it is a question of risk management.

“I don’t think employers should have to wait for a catastrophic incident prior to taking reasonable steps to mitigate risk in a safety-sensitive work environment,” she said.

The use of drug and alcohol testing has been inconsistent across Canada, with courts and labour tribunals generally more friendly toward the concept in the West than in the East.

In Alberta, testing has become common in the oil patch, where many U.S. firms, more accustomed to testing workers, operate. In some cases, employees face tests before they even get on a worksite, or are offered a job.

Toronto lawyer Richard Charney, the leader of Norton Rose’s global employment law practice, said Canadian workplaces have been moving toward allowing drug and alcohol testing for safety-sensitive jobs, and didn’t expect that evolution to stop.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Well that explains so me of the angst and anger around here to day.

I wonder if someones boss is a fat bastard.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
That will be an interesting case. I wonder if they'll allow fat cell testing? Would allow them to eliminate those who are a drag on the health plan by not looking after their own bodies.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
That will be an interesting case. I wonder if they'll allow fat cell testing? Would allow them to eliminate those who are a drag on the health plan by not looking after their own bodies.
Can you point out how that applies to the article?

It should prove interesting to see how the answer to that gets filtered through the alcohol.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving

Well Air Canada nearly lost a plane due to a sleep deprived pilot- i would guess - 300 people - now figure what can happen on some large industrial sites. While I failed Rockets Science - i did pass some portions.

Clearly it is an area to be addressed - Public - worker safety over the rights of an individual worker - the SCoC has on many similar cases ruled in favor of group - read as public -worker rights to safety.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Well Air Canada nearly lost a plane due to a sleep deprived pilot- i would guess - 300 people - now figure what can happen on some large industrial sites. While I failed Rockets Science - i did pass some portions.

Clearly it is an area to be addressed - Public - worker safety over the rights of an individual worker - the SCoC has on many similar cases ruled in favor of group - read as public -worker rights to safety.

There's always going to be situations where the individuals rights conflict with the rights of the whole. The right decision is usually a difficult call to make, as it should be.

I do have to note this though.

Employers, he said, must have a real reason to bring in testing, such as an incident, or a “near-miss.” Or the tests must only apply to employees returning to the workplace from rehab.
The problem is a near miss is not a guarantee. So that can be too much of a risk to take.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
The plumbing company I work for performs drug and criminal background checks on all new employees before they are allowed into the feild.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Well Air Canada nearly lost a plane due to a sleep deprived pilot

The pilot in question had just woken up, it wasn't a matter of sleep deprivation.

The plumbing company I work for performs drug and criminal background checks on all new employees before they are allowed into the feild.

But do they randomly test the employees after they've been hired?

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004

Not at this time. Personally, I wouldn't have a problem with it at all. Then again, I don't have the need to use drugs for "recreational" purposes.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
I have a simple solution. If you don't want to get tested, then find a job where they don't test you. All it takes is one person, one time, for something tragic to happen. If he doesn't like it, too bad for him. I don't find it an invasion of privacy at all.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
I am torn on this issue. I believe the framework of the constitution and most charters all the way back to the Magna Carta have placed individual rights above any group. It is how we avoid mob rule and persecution of those who are different. There is also the argument of my private time vs company time and how much an employer can legally invade my off-duty time.

However I work in the gas fields and a lot of our wells have high concentrations of H2S (sour gas). I do not want some stoner or drunk crackhead on the same site as me where even a tiny mistake can kill people in seconds.

Supreme Court to rule on random alcohol testing - The Globe and Mail

The use of drug and alcohol testing has been inconsistent across Canada, with courts and labour tribunals generally more friendly toward the concept in the West than in the East.
Is this because they drink more in the East? I would probably stay high and drunk too if I had to live in Toronto or Montreal. ;-)

Not at this time. Personally, I wouldn't have a problem with it at all. Then again, I don't have the need to use drugs for "recreational" purposes.
I never heard of anti-psychotics being used for recreational purposes so please don't stop taking them. :p

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
I support random alcohol testing as long as they ask first and give the person a choice to go home without retrobution before the test but if they accept and fail the test then they should get the full punishment.

The Old Medic

Council Member
May 16, 2010
The World
It is really very simple. If the employer notifies the employee, before they are hired, that they do random drug/alcohol testing, then the employee has no right to complain.

Nobody forces anyone to work for any specific company. The Union in this case is WAY off base.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
The pilot in question had just woken up, it wasn't a matter of sleep deprivation.

The pilot had slept over the allotted time. When woken at this point the brain can go into a mode where confusion arises for even the simplest things.
There is a medical term for it which I cannot recall.
In the US they use 3 pilots for long haul overseas flights to Europe - In Canada they use 2.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Yes, it can. Employees that are too fat to use the emergency stairs, or to run quickly in the event of a chlorine leak are a danger, and shouldn't be allowed to work in an industrial environment.

As to being a danger, what would you propose for these people– many large companies have persons with handicaps – from walking issues – to being in wheel chairs – Blind -Would these people then be considered a liability for the companies that have chlorine, ammonia, are oil – chemical –refineries -

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
As to being a danger, what would you propose for these people– many large companies have persons with handicaps – from walking issues – to being in wheel chairs – Blind -Would these people then be considered a liability for the companies that have chlorine, ammonia, are oil – chemical –refineries -

Actually, yes - this mill site in particular had some employees with legs in casts (I know 2 of them personally), and they were not allowed to work because of safety/mobility reasons.

If you can't evacuate, it's not safe for you to be there.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
All employees should be sober on the job. But what someone does on their own time when they aren't paid is their own business. The employer should have no right know what people do during their off time.

I support drug testing in the workplace or during a job interview only. The employer has no right to know the results beyond pass/fail.

Also drug tests aren't reliable:
Poppy seeds really do skew drug tests - The Globe and Mail

Not even alcohol, caffeine, or solvents?

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Actually, yes - this mill site in particular had some employees with legs in casts (I know 2 of them personally), and they were not allowed to work because of safety/mobility reasons.

If you can't evacuate, it's not safe for you to be there.

But other plants do not have that standard, do they?