Massachusetts Outlaws School Bake Sales

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Bake sales, the calorie-laden standby cash-strapped classrooms, PTAs and booster clubs rely on, will be outlawed from public schools as of Aug. 1 as part of new no-nonsense nutrition standards, forcing fundraisers back to the blackboard to cook up alternative ways to raise money for kids.

At a minimum, the nosh clampdown targets so-called “competitive” foods — those sold or served during the school day in hallways, cafeterias, stores and vending machines outside the regular lunch program, including bake sales, holiday parties and treats dished out to reward academic achievement. But state officials are pushing schools to expand the ban 24/7 to include evening, weekend and community events such as banquets, door-to-door candy sales and football games.

The Departments of Public Health and Education contend clearing tables of even whole milk and white bread is necessary to combat an obesity epidemic affecting a third of the state’s 1.5 million students. But parents argue crudites won’t cut it when the bills come due on athletic equipment and band trips.

more really common-sensed and outstanding super ideas here:

Parents: Rule’s half-baked - BostonHerald.com

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I think one of the biggest ones they need to get rid of is food as a reward for academic achievement. I've been apalled at how many teachers give out suckers to reward kids for doing work that is expected of them.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Massachusetts LOVES doing this stuff! They simply love banning things and forbiding things. Full Democrat Party rule in our state so all they do is pass laws restricting stuff and raise taxes at their leisure.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I don't disagree with the notion of getting soda vending machines out of schools or upgrading the standards for what's served in the cafeteria. No school should be feeding our kids junk.

But messing with the occasional bake sale? That's taking things just too far. They never just kill something, they overkill it don't they?

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
What else is the Massachusetts State government going to do? They spend all day thinking of this stuff.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Nothing thrills Massachusetts Democrat politicians than MAKING the citizens of Massachusetts stop doing what they are doing if it is fun.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
I don't disagree with the notion of getting soda vending machines out of schools or upgrading the standards for what's served in the cafeteria. No school should be feeding our kids junk.

But messing with the occasional bake sale? That's taking things just too far. They never just kill something, they overkill it don't they?

They may have taken the vending machines out and started serving better food, but the students themselves are not bothering to eat in them anymore. I read an article a few days ago stating that revenue from cafeterias are down at least 20%! I guess the students want to be able to choose what they eat rather than have it dictated to them.

I don't know. Maybe they should concentrate on something else, perhaps stopping the practice of passing any student regardless of how well they do in school? I don't give a rat's ass if holding a student back makes them "feel sad", if they don't have the grades to legitimately pass, then hold them back!

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
They may have taken the vending machines out and started serving better food, but the students themselves are not bothering to eat in them anymore. I read an article a few days ago stating that revenue from cafeterias are down at least 20%! I guess the students want to be able to choose what they eat rather than have it dictated to them.

Lol. Yes, that would be the article where they were collectively objecting on being denied the right to buy french fries. I saw that one. There should be a protest movement right around the corner!

I don't know. Maybe they should concentrate on something else, perhaps stopping the practice of passing any student regardless of how well they do in school? I don't give a rat's ass if holding a student back makes them "feel sad", if they don't have the grades to legitimately pass, then hold them back!
Whoa, whoa, whoa. Big leap from taking away their cupcakes and cookies to having actual integrity. You're such a dreamer. ;)

On a more serious note (yeah, I have those on occasion too) it is quite sad the number of functionally illiterate graduates we do have. In this day and age, when everyone has the opportunity to go to school, illiteracy should be a thing of the past. That it isn't says bucket loads.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Lol. Yes, that would be the article where they were collectively objecting on being denied the right to buy french fries. I saw that one. There should be a protest movement right around the corner!

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Big leap from taking away their cupcakes and cookies to having actual integrity. You're such a dreamer. ;)

On a more serious note (yeah, I have those on occasion too) it is quite sad the number of functionally illiterate graduates we do have. In this day and age, when everyone has the opportunity to go to school, illiteracy should be a thing of the past. That it isn't says bucket loads.

The solution to this issue is real easy:

1. Easy access to the cafeteria on the first floor. Sells the health conscious stuff.
  2. Vending machines for pop and chips (etc) located at the end of the far football fields in a shed. Limited stock daily so ya better run, limit per customer 2 items per visit

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA

You're right. They have had boycotts because of the manipulation of the school lunch "for their own good."

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
You're right. No school should be feeding kids junk or any food for that matter. That is the responsibility of the parents.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA

I think the kids bringing their own lunch in protest was a great idea. There are a lot of heavy kids but what about the ones that aren't and have to eat bland food because administrators decide. My kids are in HS and I'll be darned if I see as many over weight kids as they say there are.

I was never overweight as a kid. In fact it was nearly impossible to gain weight. If I had to eat a 200 calorie lunch as a teen I would have been even skinnier.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
But what about their feelings if they lose a kick ball game or get hit with a ball during dodge ball? Lifelong implications Petros.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
But what about their feelings if they lose a kick ball game

Apparently you're not up to speed on the new rules. All sporting events require that every participant be provided a medal or other form of merit recognition. Those participants that place within the top three are reprimanded severely for their abuse of fellow students.

or get hit with a ball during dodge ball?

Impossible, dodge ball is played with a pretend ball. In the event that a participant is 'hit' by the faux ball, an emergency therapy session will be engaged on the spot and all participants subjected to an intervention.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Apparently you're not up to speed on the new rules. All sporting events require that every participant be provided a medal or other form of merit recognition. Those participants that place within the top three are reprimanded severely for their abuse of fellow students.

Oh my sons played youth soccer. They have more medals than Michael Phelps and only had one championship between them.