Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
GITMO 5 go to trial

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,2113952,00.html?iid=obinsite

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-12964158

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-12966676

5 Charged in 9/11 Attack Resist Gitmo Hearing - TIME

GUANTANAMO BAY NAVAL BASE, Cuba) — The self-proclaimed mastermind of the Sept. 11 attacks repeatedly declined to answer a judge's questions Saturday and his co-defendants knelt in prayer in what appeared to be a concerted protest against the military proceedings.

Khalid Sheikh Mohammed and four other men appeared for the first time in more than three years for arraignment at a military tribunal at Guantanamo Bay. They're charged with 2,976 counts of murder for the 2001 attacks.

The hearing quickly bogged down before they could be arraigned.

Mohammed and his co-defendants took off the earphones that provide Arabic translations and refused to answer any questions from the judge, Army Col. James Pohl, dramatically slowing a hearing that is heavy on military legal procedure.

At one point, two of the men got up and prayed alongside their defense tables under the watchful eyes of troops arrayed along the sides of the high-security courtroom on the U.S. base in Cuba.

Prisoner Walid bin Attash was put in a restraint chair for unspecified reasons and then removed from it after he agreed to behave; and lawyers for all defendants complained that the prisoners were prevented from wearing the civilian clothes of their choice.

Mohammed wore a white turban in court; his flowing beard, which had appeared to be graying in earlier hearings and photos, was streaked with red henna.

Mohammed's civilian lawyer, David Nevin, said he believed Mohammed was not responding because he believes the tribunal is unfair.

(SPECIAL: What Happened to the Accused 9/11 Plotters?)

Jim Harrington, a civilian attorney for Yemeni defendant Ramzi Binalshibh, said his client would not respond to questions "without addressing the issues of confinement." No further explanation was given.

9/11 suspects ignore, disrupt Guantanamo arraignment - CNN.com

Guantanamo Bay, Cuba (CNN) -- Silence from accused 9/11 mastermind Khalid Sheikh Mohammed and four others resulted in delays during their arraignment Saturday in Guantanamo Bay.

A hearing before a military judge that could have lasted minutes instead stretched into hours.

It is Mohammed and four others' first appearance in a military courtroom since being charged a month ago.

Along with Mohammed, the others are Walid Muhammad Salih Mubarak Bin 'Attash, Ramzi Binalshibh, Ali Abdul Aziz Ali, and Mustafa Ahmed Adam al Hawsawi.

The five are charged with terrorism, hijacking aircraft, conspiracy, murder in violation of the law of war, attacking civilians, attacking civilian objects, intentionally causing serious bodily injury and destruction of property in violation of the law of war.

If convicted, the five face the death penalty.

"I've had conversations with other people who believe the circus is going to begin with the first appearance," said Rear Adm. Donald Guter, who once served as the Navy's top lawyer.

"One of the most important things that's going to happen at arraignment is the scheduling of the trial and the scheduling of the motions hearings, and I'm sure there will be many," according to Neal Puckett, a lawyer and retired Marine colonel who has spent most of his career in military courtrooms.

Technically, once the five are arraigned, the court has met the constitutional requirement for a speedy trial.

Last edited:

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
How long have they been held at Gitmo? How much torture have they endured? Does anybody believe they will get a fair trial?

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
I have no idea. I asked the questions because I don't know the answers.

As I mentioned the evidence presented will be public. Yet opinion has reached the conclusion the trial will not be fair. How did you arrive at that inclusion. Based upon what evidence?

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
The US does not have a stellar record when dealing with foreigners or their own when it comes to war crimes. I think 3000 dead is a misdemeanor compared to what the US accomplished in retaliation.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
How long have they been held at Gitmo? How much torture have they endured? Does anybody believe they will get a fair trial?

How long have the almost 3000 people that died on 9/11 (or the hundreds &
perhaps thousands that are ill or deceaced now from the rescue & clean up)
been held at Gitmo? How much torture have they endured? Will they get a fair
trial? I think not 'cuz they're dead or dieing.

Are these 5 guilty? I don't know....but they sure aren't cooperating and try'n
to resolve things to clear their names....which makes me question their
innocence. If they wish to treat this trial as a joke in the face of the deaths
of about 3000 people, then perhaps they should be treated accordingly.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
GITMO...is that place still open? Didn't Obama say he was going to close that place?

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
The US does not have a stellar record when dealing with foreigners or their own when it comes to war crimes. I think 3000 dead is a misdemeanor compared to what the US accomplished in retaliation.

Not the OP Cliffy - Your decision was preordained based upon that.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
That does sound vaguely familiar, now that you mention it. I think
that was one of the slogans (along with "Hope & Change") about
four years ago. When is the election happening again next down
there?

Once a Dem gets in office all war protests and in this case... the horrors of GITMO died down. No Cindy Sheehans are to be found. these days.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Nope; presumption of innocence until convicted of the crime or found innocent is not #6.
By the way, why didn't you vote?
What's your opinion?

Number 7 I corrected - myself I am waiting - 2 - I am waiting . That would make both of us that are waiting.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Nowhere do you have included the "presumption of innocence" which is the cornerstone of the rule of law in a democracy.

Highball

Council Member
Jan 28, 2010
From the the onset this has had an atmosphere of "What do we do next, Coach?" Now it is almost approaching a Side Show picture from the Circus.