Technicality trims sentence for stepdad who raped girl, 7

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
By Kevin Martin, QMI Agency

CALGARY – Blindfolding his young stepdaughter and repeatedly sexually assaulting her has landed a High River, Alta., man the equivalent of a five-year prison term.

But because the offender has already spent more than two years in remand, he'll only have to serve another 333 days.

The stepfather, who can't be named to protect his victim's identity, was earlier convicted of two sex-related charges involving repeated assaults on his then seven-year-old stepdaughter.

In a written decision released Friday, Justice Pat Sullivan said the man's conduct warranted a five-year penitentiary term.

But because the crimes predated amendments to the Criminal Code limiting pre-trial credit, Sullivan granted the man the usual two-for-one formula in place at the time.

As a result, the time he spent in remand since his arrest on April 20, 2010, will mean more than four years will be deducted from the man's five-year term.

Defence lawyer Jim Lutz had recommended a four-year term, which would have resulted in the man's immediate release.

Crown prosecutor Sarah Stewart sought a period behind bars of six to eight years.

Sullivan noted the assaults, which occurred in 2009, involved repeated attacks on the little girl.

"The exact number of sexual assaults on (the victim) is not known," he said.

"However, the evidence at trial revealed that the assaults were numerous."

The offender always used the same method of abuse, the judge noted.

"The victim's eyes would be covered," Sullivan said. "She was blindfolded; and the assaults always occurred in the family home."

"A review of the circumstances of this case leads me to conclude that the offences here are on the serious end of the continuum of the category of major sexual assault," the judge said.

Technicality trims sentence for stepdad who raped girl, 7 - Crime - Canoe.ca

What absolutely infuriates me about this is not necessarily the 'technical glitch' that reduced this s.o.b.'s sentence, although that is disgraceful as well. What angers me to my core is that 6 to 8 years imprisonment is somehow considered appropriate for repeatedly assaulting a seven year old child!

What the hell is so wrong with us that we spend so much freaking time bitching and moaning and ranting and raving over stupidity like the frigging T.O. mayor's stupid 'feud' with the press, or whether Conrad Black re-enters the country, or whether "leftards" are better or worse than "rightards". In the meantime, animals like this are a dime a dozen.

Man, we have some seriously screwed up priorities in this world!

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
What the hell is so wrong with us that we spend so much freaking time bitching and moaning and ranting and raving over stupidity like the frigging T.O. mayor's stupid 'feud' with the press, or whether Conrad Black re-enters the country, or whether "leftards" are better or worse than "rightards". In the meantime, animals like this are a dime a dozen.

You just noticed this?

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
333 days is plenty of time to deal with this freak.... General population will have this guy 'punished' within 3 days.

It's still a huge slap in the face to that child that's already been through far more than anyone should have to go through at her age.

It absolutely disgusts me.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
That f**ker should have had his head trimmed........................................Just above the shoulders!

Yes, but not likely to happen soon. Hard labour though is more likely to be politically palatable, especially with a Conservative majority. It would not necessarily have to be hard labour, but at least economically productive labour to make them earn their keep.

Again, I agree with your sentiment as an initial reaction. I just don't see it happening in the near future.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
It's still a huge slap in the face to that child that's already been through far more than anyone should have to go through at her age.

It absolutely disgusts me.

No doubt... There is no amount of retribution, therapy or consolation that will ever 'take back' that nightmare for that 7 year old girl... But that being the case, maybe setting the societal bar to barbaric lows might just make some of these perverts think twice prior to victimizing another young girl.

... I still can't even get my head around the entire idea of perpetuating this kind of heinous action on a child... 7 years old for God sake, truly makes me sick and not to mention, quite violently angry.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
It should be a life sentence with no chance of parole, with life meaning life, and of course put him to economically productive labour the whole time.

I have other thoughts about what to do with him too, but I'm just thinking in practical terms what government might be able to get public support for. And if a life sentence is politically unpalatable, then at leat introduce the work part of it.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
It should be a life sentence with no chance of parole, with life meaning life, and of course put him to economically productive labour the whole time.

I have other thoughts about what to do with him too, but I'm just thinking in practical terms what government might be able to get public support for. And if a life sentence is politically unpalatable, then at leat introduce the work part of it.

I think "practical" things could happen if he was just released to the street for five minutes!

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
By Kevin Martin, QMI Agency

Technicality trims sentence for stepdad who raped girl, 7 - Crime - Canoe.ca
Judges on drugs?

What absolutely infuriates me about this is not necessarily the 'technical glitch' that reduced this s.o.b.'s sentence, although that is disgraceful as well. What angers me to my core is that 6 to 8 years imprisonment is somehow considered appropriate for repeatedly assaulting a seven year old child!
I can imagine what the judge's kids and wife think of him, if he has any.

?
We aren't allowed to have opinions about stuff of less severity?

It's been like that for a while. I can't see a cure for it either.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
No doubt... There is no amount of retribution, therapy or consolation that will ever 'take back' that nightmare for that 7 year old girl... But that being the case, maybe setting the societal bar to barbaric lows might just make some of these perverts think twice prior to victimizing another young girl.

Yes, I think we've had this conversation before about how these heinous crimes really push at our conviction against the death penalty.

Personally, I'd be happy to start with keeping those who are an extreme threat to society, not to mention to the most vulnerable members of society, away from society for, well, forever. These five and six year sentences just do not cut it!

... I still can't even get my head around the entire idea of perpetuating this kind of heinous action on a child... 7 years old for God sake, truly makes me sick and not to mention, quite violently angry.
No, neither can I. Maybe we all need to get really angry about this more often.

I don't think the government would have any problem garnering support for life sentences for these monsters. Anything beyond that, productive work for instance, to me is just gravy. Let's get some sensible sentencing in place first!