Why so few people are left-handed

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Why so few people are left-handed

Right-handers have long accounted for 90 percent of the population, and scientists may have figured out why

Only one out of every 10 people are predisposed to favor their left hand instead of their right, "a ratio that has remained constant for more than 5,000 years," says Rick Nauert at PsychCentral. Why isn't there a 50-50 righty-lefty split? Why aren't all of us right-handed? New research from Northwestern University may have the answer. Here's what you should know:

What exactly is this new theory?

Researchers say the steadily low percentage of lefties "is a result of the balance between cooperation and competition in human evolution." Humans have long had an evolutionary need to cooperate, such as when sharing tools or hunting in groups. And if most people use the same hand, it makes such cooperation easier. "The more social the animal — where cooperation is highly valued — the more the general population will trend toward one side," says co-author Daniel M. Abrams.

Then why aren't we all right-handed?

Because people aren't purely cooperative. We compete with each other, too, and always have. "If a society was totally cooperative, then everyone would be same-handed," says Nauert. But that's not us. Our competitive streak ensures that there will always be lefties.

Why does competitiveness foster left-handedness?

Physical competition "favors the unusual," Nauert says. For example, "in a fight, a left-hander in a right-handed world would have an advantage."

What proof do researchers have?

To showcase the validity of their model, researchers turned to sports like boxing, fencing, and table tennis. In athletics, lefties are "overrepresented to the tune of about one in five," says AFP, underscoring the competitive advantage of left-handedness. And the inverse is true for sports where handedness isn't a factor. For example, "the number of successful left-handed PGA golfers is very low, only 4 percent," says PhysOrg.

Sources: AFP, Gizmodo, PhysOrg, PsychCentral

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I hate to bring it up, I was left handed until I was 5. Then I was enrolled in Catholic school.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Thankfully those idiotic attitudes are now a thing of the past.

Now if we could only work on the rest of the idiotic attitudes, our species may have a shot at survival.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I hate to bring it up, I was left handed until I was 5. Then I was enrolled in Catholic school.

I've a similar story, & I believe we're of similar ages. I'm still
predominantly left handed though.

My Father had a similar experience as you also, and grew
into a very large ambidextrous steel worker, and he went
and had a talk with that Teacher, and the Principal (who
turned out to have taught my Father back in a small
town back when they where both much younger). I guess
that's why I'm still mostly left handed.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I've a similar story, & I believe we're of similar ages. I'm still
predominantly left handed though.

My Father had a similar experience as you also, and grew
into a very large ambidextrous steel worker, and he went
and had a talk with that Teacher, and the Principal (who
turned out to have taught my Father back in a small
town back when they where both much younger). I guess
that's why I'm still mostly left handed.
LOL, I like your Dad. My Grandfather, for all his wisdom, held the Church in too high of esteem. But like your Dad, I can work with either hand with ease. I can write with my left hand, although it looks rough, lol.

Somehow, I bet Clinton's to blame.

No wait ` BLAME GOPHER!

Last edited:

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I'm right handed when using one hand, but left handed when using two like swinging an axe or a bat. What would be the reason for that? :lol:

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.

Aw sh it.!! That can cause some bad stuff..................being switched AND the Catholic school.:lol:

I remained lefty. Somehow the desire to switch kids seems to have left just about the time I went to school.

No teacher at school ever mentioned it.

Os I tnured tou peftcley nmoral.

tahnk dog

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Left handed people were on their way to a majority as the right handed kept on bringing a knife to a spear fight. Then they caught on.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Actually, being left handed in a right handed world has been a plus.

A family friend gave me a guitar when I was about 10. It was strung right, so I learned to play right.

Throw and bat left.

Box lefty, right jab instead of left.

Fly cast equally poorly with either.

Fillet fish with the left, Use a carving knife (decoys, etc.) with the right. Chisel cuts with the left.

A righty paddle stroke feels more natural.

All this has evolved. Never have been told which was wrong or correct.

Politics are centrist. Both right and left seem extreme.

Pull up my fly with the right.

Still can't change hands without missing a stroke.

Synapses are fried................

Rub head and pat belly really well left or right

Kind of chubby so I guess I'm well rounded

Lesser souls would pack it in, right?

Probably why so few are left...................

:confused1: