Man keeps interest from €200 million bank error

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Cool. :lol:

A German man whose bank mistakenly gave him €200 million has been told he can keep the €12,000 interest earned while it was “resting in his account” overnight.

The man, named in German media only as Michael H., sold shares last April for €20,000 – but his online bank Comdirect accidentally put €200 million into his account.

Michael H. swiftly transferred €10 million of it into his current account in a different bank. And although Comdirect successfully clawed back all the €200 million, it demanded €12,000 on top – 14.4 percent interest on the money he moved.

The district court in Itzehoe, Schleswig-Holstein, ruled on Thursday that Comdirect should repay the man the €12,000 – plus the interest it accrued over the last year.

But the bank – which is owned by Commerzbank – is going to appeal. “People who want to use money that does not belong to them generally have to pay interest," a bank spokesman said. "That is the same for everyone.”

“We only implemented normal procedures – it was nothing more than correct protocol.”

Michael H. admitted it was fun to be a multimillionaire for a moment, but now regrets moving the money. “It would have been better if I had done nothing.”

source:

Man keeps interest from €200 million bank error - The Local

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
I would have donated 50% of the money to the UNICEF as soon as it hit my account.. and purchased silver and gold bullion with the rest.. then have been on a plane to some warm tropical country with no extradition.

See what the greedy bank then does..

IMF / WORLD BANK DESTROYING COUNTRIES

I would not have touched a penny that wasn't mine. Do they not think that the bank will be after them for the money once they discover the error. And they will discover the error, it would just be a matter of time. And would it be worth getting a criminal record for theft?

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
That brings up the question: if I give you something, is it theft?

A bank error is not someone giving you something. Anyone with any intelligence at all, not to mention scruples, would know that the money was not theirs to spend.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
A bank error is not someone giving you something. Anyone with any intelligence at all, not to mention scruples, would know that the money was not theirs to spend.

Absolutely! This is not akin to finding a $20 or two randomly on the ground. This is more like someone leaving their wallet in your car. You know it's not yours, you can be pretty damn sure it was left behind in error. If you spend the money that's in it, says volumes about your character. In my opinion.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
I would have donated 50% of the money to the UNICEF as soon as it hit my account.. and purchased silver and gold bullion with the rest.. then have been on a plane to some warm tropical country with no extradition.

See what the greedy bank then does..

IMF / WORLD BANK DESTROYING COUNTRIES

The banks would have got the money from UNICEF just because charities have a slush fund the tax people do not know about