Yellow Pages Ad: "Languages Spoken", in Vancouver

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
Простите! Я не ронемаю.

You said it!!!!

Whatever it was??? ;-)

In this ad by Yellowpages.ca, they have a line for Languages Spoken, they should omit that line. Customers in Vancouver should not have to wonder whether service staff speak English. This is more corporate sucking up to government sponsored multiculturalism that questions and divides the population. English is the language in BC for business.

Burnaby Hobbies - 5209 Rumble St, Burnaby, BC

Anyone from the west coast know there are many different languages spoken around town. I think it is good marketing and business to be able to offer service to those who are not proficient in english in their native language. It is about catering to the customer!

Obviously if you don't like it you have the option to not shop there.

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
Unless BC is becoming a bigger nanny state than it already has become I would think people are 'free' to conduct 'private' business in any language they choose. Except in Quebec of course, but they're special.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
Reminds me how the media belives in bilingualism, insist that the PM be bilingual. but they cannot speak French. Fighting the good fight they say. Fake. Corporate fakeness.

I'm all for dropping the whole bilingual thing, wastes billions. A private business though is able to make its own decisions on how best to serve its customers. Nobody said you have to like it or shop there.

Oh, we are so global and openeminded, we are so grand.

You are showing you are none of these!

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
I'm all for dropping the whole bilingual thing, wastes billions. A private business though is able to make its own decisions on how best to serve its customers. Nobody said you have to like it or shop there.

You are showing you are none of these!

You see, it's kind of redundant. This small retail store, likely only does business in English, like about 100% of them in Vancouver. I wonder if Yellowpages asks companies if they wish to have this choice, giving web browsers the idea that maybe they don't speak English at all. A line saying "Additional Languages" spoken might be more informative. Canada is officially a two language country, to assume a store may do business in neither of them violates well known facts. It creates a question where there was none before.