12-Year-Old Boy Made Honorary Marine Before Succumbing To Cancer-Related Infection

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Indiana: 12-Year-Old Boy Made Honorary Marine Before Succumbing To Cancer-Related Infection, Local Marine Stands Guard At His Hospital Door Entire Night Before He Passed Away

FLORA, Ind. (WLFI) - 12-year-old Cody Green has always admired the strength and courage of the marines. At 12:35 Saturday afternoon, it was the Marines admiring the strength and courage of Cody.

Cody had leukemia since he was 22 months old, but beat the disease three times. Although he was cancer-free, the chemotherapy lowered his immune system and Saturday afternoon, he died from a fungus that attacked his brain. Members of the Marines decided to step in and do something.

"They decided Cody, with the strength and honor and courage he showed through the whole thing, he should be a Marine," said Cody's father David Snowberger.

Cody was given Marine navigator wings and was made an honorary member of the United States Marine Corps. For one Marine, that wasn't enough, so he did even more.

"The night before Cody passed, he stood guard at Cody's door at the hospital all night long for eight hours straight," said Snowberger.

Cody was a fifth grader at Carroll Elementary School and, if you asked anyone, could only be described in one way.

"He was a comedian all the time," said Snowberger. "I mean, nothing was ever negative. He was just always happy, always worried about everybody else."

That's why it made it so tough for Carroll Elementary Assistant Principal Roy Hufford to make the call to students. This call, he hopes nobody should ever have to make.

"Basically, I just said that it's with a heavy heart that we have to let you know that Cody Green, a fifth grader, has passed away," said Hufford.

On Monday, trees outside Carroll Elementary School were decorated with green ribbons, Cody's favorite color. Students also wrote messages on green balloons and then released them in Cody's honor.

Although there were tears, there was also laughter, as everyone took the day to celebrate the life of Cody Green.

A memorial service for Cody Green will be held at Carroll Elementary School on Saturday from 11:00 a.m. until 3:00 p.m. All contributions will be donated to the cancer unit at Riley Children's Hospital.

source:

Boy made honorary Marine before death | WLFI - Flora, Indiana

h/t weasel zippers

The Old Medic

Council Member
May 16, 2010
The World
mental floss, you are a REAL JERK! You should be ashamed of your comment, but since you appear to have no morality, there is probably noting in you that would acknowledge just what an ass you really are.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
it would be cool if the marines gave him an honorary burial at sea.:cool:

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
ra·tion·al·ize

   [rash-uh-nl-ahyz, rash-nl-ahyz] Show IPA verb, ra·tion·al·ized, ra·tion·al·iz·ing.
verb (used with object) 1. to ascribe (one's acts, opinions, etc.) to causes that superficially seem reasonable and valid but that actually are unrelated to the true, possibly unconscious and often less creditable or agreeable causes.

2. to remove unreasonable elements from.

3. to make rational or conformable to reason.

4. to treat or explain in a rational or rationalistic manner.

5. Mathematics . to eliminate radicals from (an equation or expression): to rationalize the denominator of a fraction.

6. Chiefly British . to reorganize and integrate (an industry).

verb (used without object)

7. to invent plausible explanations for acts, opinions, etc., that are actually based on other causes: He tried to prove that he was not at fault, but he was obviously rationalizing.

8. to employ reason; think in a rational or rationalistic manner

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Holy post-blaze sheesha batman.

I was actually empathizing with the situation the kid was in.

EDIT:
Oh, I see!

No, I wasn't referring to the guard.

Interwebs.

Sorry guys.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I was actually empathizing with the situation the kid was in.
Really? Maybe you can explain how...

Well that sux for that American soldier.

... that does just that.

I hope you aren't going to try and convince anyone you were referring to Cody, when you said American soldier. That excuse would sound pretty lame.

EDIT:
Oh, I see!

No, I wasn't referring to the guard.

Interwebs.
Ooohhh, you were going to go that route. How lame and pathetic.

Sorry guys.
You should be.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Really? Maybe you can explain how...

Lemme help on this.

The answer is that Flossy is a sh*tty communicator and by in large, any form of sincerity is back-handed at best or more likely, mockingly insincere with designs to have multiple interpretations such that he can (attempt) to weasel out much like we sadly witnessed above.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Lemme help on this.

The answer is that Flossy is a sh*tty communicator and by in large, any form of sincerity is back-handed at best or more likely, mockingly insincere with designs to have multiple interpretations such that he can (attempt) to weasel out much like we sadly witnessed above.

Yesiree.

Petulant drive-by posts are a trolls best friend.

Some folk are incapable of leaving well alone. Others not so much. The desire to be seen and heard, to be in the mix, have an opinion on every damn thing...it's a dangerous tactic. A once respected member can fall victim to the inability to say nothing at all. The temptation is too great.

It's almost like graffiti. 'I was here'. 'Look at what I think about this here thing'.

Most netizens that have been around a month or more soon learn to adjust their keyboard activities to avoid such pitfalls. Some...well.

It's comes down to maturity and judgement. There's a time and place to act an asshole and there's others when it's best to keep moving.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
You guys are pretty mad and getting way too PC about this.

I thought that was supposed to be a "leftist" thing, but whatevs.

Last edited:

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister

I thought that was supposed to be a "leftist" thing, but whatevs.

Maybe that's where the problem lies, there should never have been any ideological or political bent associated with this story whatsoever.

The OP was simply a recounting of the tragic demise suffered by a young boy and the special recognition that was offered by one of America's most iconic institutions, especially the marine that chose to stand guard with that boy and his family in his final hours.

Your initial comment was nothing short of a cavalier and backhanded swipe at the expense of that boy and his family.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Lemme help on this.

Absolutely correct. I've seen it first hand on many occasions.

My M.O. is to obfuscate the facts and then say "u mad" when I'm proven wrong. :icon_smile: