Atleo calls bid to nix native spirituality from mine hearings 'outrageous'

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
OTTAWA — The bid by a Vancouver company to eliminate consideration of native spirituality and even prohibit aboriginal children's plays at a federal environmental review hearing is "completely outrageous" and runs counter to the direction of many major companies seeking to work with First Nations, Assembly of First Nations National Chief Shawn Atleo said Tuesday.
Atleo was commenting on the disclosure of a letter sent by Taseko Mines Ltd. to Environment Minister Peter Kent in November that called for measures to eliminate possible pro-aboriginal bias in a pending review of the company's gold-copper mine in the B.C. interior.
"The actions of the company are completely outrageous," said Atleo. "I know increasingly companies are 'getting' the need to recognize and respect First Nations rights and title, so this isn't the way forward."

Brian Battison, Taseko's vice president of corporate affairs, argued Monday that spirituality isn't part of federal environmental review legislation and shouldn't be considered.
He said the company is objecting to children's plays, films and prayers because such events bring too much emotion into the hearings.

More: Atleo calls bid to nix native spirituality from mine hearings 'outrageous'

I wonder if these guys were making a deal with the Vatican if they would demand the pope wear a business suit and not mention anything about god and Jesus? This is going to piss off all aboriginal people in BC, if not Canada, and not just the people directly affected by this mine's proposals.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
However cultural aboriginals wish to be, when the data is reviewed at another location, the cute dance and kids play will be forgotten. It would be smarter for them to make a solid presentation then do a little show at the end. But then many Indians don't want to work and don't want the govt treaty gravy train to end. Might as well keep up appearances and keep showing your lack of education and awareness of the bigger world. They can do dances till the cows come home right now all over and around the hearings and they will get on TV every day, the media loves this stuff because it wiggles and stays in one place. Its always good to make noise if you have nothing to say.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I wonder if these guys were making a deal with the Vatican if they would demand the pope wear a business suit and not mention anything about god and Jesus? This is going to piss off all aboriginal people in BC, if not Canada, and not just the people directly affected by this mine's proposals.

I think a more apt question would be, should the religious or spiritual views of the populace dictate government policy? You seem quite adamant that religion shouldn't have a say in what the gov does, so why native spirituality?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I think a more apt question would be, should the religious or spiritual views of the populace dictate government policy? You seem quite adamant that religion shouldn't have a say in what the gov does, so why native spirituality?

I think religion most certainly ought to play a role in government. One reason the British Empire was less unsuccessful than others is in fact that the British respected the local dominant religions. The US and NATO have tried to be as sensitive as possible to local religious sentiments in their campaigns. Heck, even the Canada could be born only after catering to certain religious sentiments (the separate schol system). And let's not forget tht our monarch must be Anglican and is prohibited from marrying a Catholic (though could marry a Muslim ironically enough).

Even in supposedly secular countries like the US, France and Turkey the government must consider religious sentiment (consider the veil ban in France and Turkey in some cases, the fact that Turkey still funds some religious education), the fact that US politicians often refer to Christian teachings in their policy debates re: gay marriage, abortion, and historically prohibition, etc. Consider that even China, officially atheist, provides some funding for the construction of religious buildings.

It would seem that all good governance does consider local religious sentiment. To ignore such sentiment would undoubtedly be asking for trouble.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
How would you feel if uranium was found under your church and the congregation was told to either move their church or have it demolished to make way for mining? Would you want your government to intervene on your behalf?The closest thing the aboriginal people had to a church was a sweat lodge but they did have sacred places. These sacred places are imbued with the energy of hundreds or thousands of years of prayer and ceremony. What our society fails to understand is that many of these places are as important to aboriginal people as the Vatican is to Catholics or the wailing wall is to Jews. You don't think Catholics would fight tooth and nail to save the Vatican from destruction by mining?

Aboriginal people only have their prayers and ceremonies to fight the onslaught of resource extractors. How does tradition fight biased science? The aboriginal people are like the Chinese fellow who stood in the way of the tank in Tienanmen square. The machine is relentless to gobble up them and their heritage.

skookumchuck

Council Member
Jan 19, 2012
Van Isle
What seems to be conveniently left out in any discussion of faith or spirituality is progression, one would think the "progressives" would get that, at least if they were not using just anything to advance an agenda.
Very very few of the religiously devout Christians in modern society ascribe to original dogma, nor do they embrace two differing versions of religion. eg, one is not both a worshiper of trees, landmarks, and animals as well as being a follower of Christ or even Allah.

Western society is proof positive that the moderation and modernization of religion has allowed us to progress. That being said, why would a "religion" regress? Renew itself back to the old ways? Because it is the only way to put pressure on society, given the "sacred cow" aspect accorded it by many while removing the same aspect from Christianity.

In saying this i stress that although i am not religious in the strict sense of the word, i do prefer the Judeo Christian ethic. Our family is made up of mostly Native/French/Scottish extraction, 80% of whom are what you would call mainstream Canadians. The other 20% stayed on the reserves and are still beating the drum for special privileges while treating us as pariahs. Arguing against success.

Several of my wife's family were numbered amongst the movers and shakers of the Metis federation, finding themselves discriminated against by both native and white they finally said to hell with it, we will just be people. Best thing they ever accomplished.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
What seems to be conveniently left out in any discussion of faith or spirituality is progression, one would think the "progressives" would get that, at least if they were not using just anything to advance an agenda.
Very very few of the religiously devout Christians in modern society ascribe to original dogma, nor do they embrace two differing versions of religion. eg, one is not both a worshiper of trees, landmarks, and animals as well as being a follower of Christ or even Allah.
Progress is a relative term, a matter of perspective. I find it ludicrous to think that destroying your life support system, the environment that all living things depend on, is any kind of progress. "Progressives", in your terms, will not be happy until the last tree is cut, the water undrinkable and the air unbreathable. Looks to me, and many others, that "progress" is insane and civilization a very bad joke.

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
Didn't Europe have some vicious religious wars in previous centuries? And they all added up to what? So the less religion and spirituality in any govt affairs, the better.

Let's stop patting the natives on the head, and stop saying, "Oooh, you people are so cute and spiritual with such great dances. Continue on, I am inspired" Their enablers, white and aborginal, just use the noise to keep their money flowing. Now that's respectful. Lots of useful idiots out there.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA

I was thinking the same thing.

I see he responded to you with a dance of his own!