How conservative are you?

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
600 "members" get together and grant an award. I'm not impressed.

Nor are you up to speed.

National Post editorial board: Ocean

Picture, if you will, a world in which a study of snowfall patterns over southern Ontario, conducted jointly by NASA and Canada’s National Research Council (NRC), could plunge 11 public employees into a day-long public relations ordeal. Welcome to … Ottawa.

On March 1, Postmedia reporter Tom Spears was putting together a story on just such a study. “I’d just like to get a feel for NRC’s involvement,” he wrote to the NRC’s communications branch at 9:30 a.m. Shortly thereafter, in an email to his superiors — later released to the Ottawa Citizen through an Access to Information request — a communications officer suggested setting up an interview with someone with the NRC’s Institute for Aerospace Research, which supplied an aircraft and scientific equipment.

It sounds like a pretty simple operation. What could possibly go wrong?

Let’s just say everything. Six hours later, there had been no interview: One of the army of 11 federal employees dealing with the matter wasn’t “convinced” it was necessary. Instead, they spent the day massaging, trimming, tweaking, polishing and quadruple-checking a written response, eventually consisting of five bullet points, that was delivered hours past Mr. Spears’ acknowledged deadline and that lacked even basic information about the NASA/NRC project’s goals.

An hour after that, one of the army of 11 wrote to his colleagues complaining that the response failed to mention the all-important fact that the project had been funded by the Canadian Space Agency. And the next morning, when Mr. Spears’ story appeared, an apparently disappointed communications officer noted that the “NRC is mentioned only in the last para[graph], but with no mention of our science contribution.” No matter, the NRC’s head of media relations responded. Mr. Spears only “wanted to confirm NRC’s involvement in the project,” he said. That isn’t what he wanted at all.

Luckily for Mr. Spears, a NASA official was perfectly willing to talk over the phone about the project. And why wouldn’t he be? They’re studying snowfall, not planning to assassinate Castro. “It took about 15 minutes,” Mr. Spears recalled in the Citizen.

skookumchuck

Council Member
Jan 19, 2012
Van Isle
I never believed in one rigid point of view, preferring instead to support what i see in any political ideology to be logical as opposed to blind dogma.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
What the hell is going on with my thread titles today? They always seem to come up with a different thread title.

I'll have to be more careful with that.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
599 of those members being the CBC.

You should spend less time loitering in the shower room tossing bars of soap in front of the newbie prisoners

Someone had to give them an award for this. They have locked down the AIA requests to the point of absurdity and they are a threat to the Act itself. Not good for democracy.

I guess this is what Harpers calls transparency.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Someone had to give them an award for this. They have locked down the AIA requests to the point of absurdity and they are a threat to the Act itself. Not good for democracy.

I guess this is what Harpers calls transparency.

Back up the bus here a minute... Let's not forget that the media corps (most notably the CBC) went strongly into attack mode when Harper first took office. These clowns were anything but objective and certainly did not display anything close to journalistic integrity.

On the 'good for Democracy' front, how many elections in the last 15 years have been heavily influenced by the deliberate partiality of the media (again, most notably the CBC)?

The 'media' got exactly what they deserved

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Back up the bus here a minute... Let's not forget that the media corps (most notably the CBC) went strongly into attack mode when Harper first took office. These clowns were anything but objective and certainly did not display anything close to journalistic integrity.

On the 'good for Democracy' front, how many elections in the last 15 years have been heavily influenced by the deliberate partiality of the media (again, most notably the CBC)?

The 'media' got exactly what they deserved

Breaking the Law? Interfering with access requests - That is against the law. No way around that.
Media is never impartial - Media in this country is owned by a few select people/companies.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Breaking the Law? Interfering with access requests - That is against the law. No way around that.
Media is never impartial - Media in this country is owned by a few select people/companies.
According to the captain, the media is only bias when he disagrees with their take on things. Say anything that does not show Harpo in a favourable light and you are commie leftist scumbag, thus his hate on for the CBC. They are not owned by conservative media moguls so must be shut down.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009

I suppose that the best course of action is to file a formal complaint with the police to investigate this breech of the law.

Really Goobs, I have no sympathy for the media after the stunts that they have pulled.

BTW - the CBC isn't privately owned yet they are the worst offenders of the aforementioned

According to the captain, the media is only bias when he disagrees with their take on things. Say anything that does not show Harpo in a favourable light and you are commie leftist scumbag, thus his hate on for the CBC. They are not owned by conservative media moguls so must be shut down.

Grreeaaattt.. More partisan ranting and raving from our resident anarchist.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
I suppose that the best course of action is to file a formal complaint with the police to investigate this breech of the law.

Really Goobs, I have no sympathy for the media after the stunts that they have pulled.

BTW - the CBC isn't privately owned yet they are the worst offenders of teh aforementioned

The Act serves a clear purpose - Govenments interfering with this are not adhering to the Law- To me it does not matter if they ar Fed, Prov or Muni or what Party they belong to.

It is up to the Information Commissioner to take charges forwards.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC

BTW - the CBC isn't privately owned yet they are the worst offenders of the aforementioned

Grreeaaattt.. More partisan ranting and raving from our resident anarchist.
And your rants are not the ravings of our resident conservative capitalist pig? Rape and Pillage! Ezra for sainthood!

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
The Act serves a clear purpose - Govenments interfering with this are not adhering to the Law- To me it does not matter if they ar Fed, Prov or Muni or what Party they belong to.

It is up to the Information Commissioner to take charges forwards.

Then I guess that we wait on the Information Commissioner.

And your rants are not the ravings of our resident conservative capitalist pig? Rape and Pillage! Ezra for sainthood!

Here ya go Cliffy.. Your own kit and an idea for an extra strong foil hat

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Conservative enough to get the "best bang for the buck". I think more in terms of what works rather than political philosophy.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
If Harper had kept his promise on having an open and transparent government and didn't vet everything his caucus said I wouldn't have much of a problem with him. Yes, I know as a PM he isn't unique when it comes to that but it doesn't make it acceptable.