Anti-Bullying Speaker Curses Christian Teens

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
What an asshole.

As many as 100 high school students walked out of a national journalism conference after an anti-bullying speaker began cursing, attacked the Bible and reportedly called those who refused to listen to his rant “pansy asses.”

The speaker was Dan Savage, founder of the “It Gets Better” project, an anti-bullying campaign that has reached more than 40 million viewers with contributors ranging from President Obama to Hollywood stars. Savage also writes a sex advice column called “Savage Love.”

Savage, and his husband, were also guests at the White House for President Obama’s 2011 LGBT Pride Month reception. He was also invited to a White House anti-bullying conference.

Savage was supposed to be delivering a speech about anti-bullying at the National High School Journalism Conference sponsored by the Journalism Education Association and the National Scholastic Press Association. But it turned into an episode of Christian-bashing.

Rick Tuttle, the journalism advisor for Sutter Union High School in California, was among several thousand people in the audience. He said they thought the speech was one thing – but it turned into something else.

“I thought this would be about anti-bullying,” Tuttle told Fox news. “It turned into a pointed attack on Christian beliefs.”

Tuttle said a number of his students were offended by Savage’s remarks – and some decided to leave the auditorium.

“It became hostile,” he said. “It felt hostile as we were sitting in the audience – especially towards Christians who espouse beliefs that he was literally taking on.”
Tuttle said the speech was laced with vulgarities and “sexual innuendo not appropriate for this age group.” At one point, he said Savage told the teenagers about how good his partner looked in a speedo.

The conservative website CitizenLink was the first to report about the controversy. They interviewed a 17-year-old girl who was one of students who walked out of the auditorium.

“The first thing he told the audience was, ‘I hope you’re all using birth control,’” she told CitizenLink. “he said there are people using the Bible as an excuse for gay bullying, because it says in Leviticus and Romans that being gay is wrong. Right after that, he said we can ignore all the (expletive deleted) in the Bible.”

As the teenagers were walking out, Tuttle said that Savage heckled them and called them “pansy asses.”

more failure here:

Anti-Bullying Speaker Curses Christian Teens | FOX News & Commentary: Todd Starnes

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Reprehensible and unacceptable behaviour.

Belittling, bemoaning, ridiculing and bullying others en masse for whatever reason is unacceptable behaviour.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
All this anti-bullying crap is exactly that. The only way to deal with a bully is to bop them in the nose.

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
Reprehensible and unacceptable behaviour.

Belittling, bemoaning, ridiculing and bullying others en masse for whatever reason is unacceptable behaviour.

The bullying maybe. Ridicule and bemoaning (everyone has a right to complain) are completely different on the other hand. Somebody that swears up and down that they have an invisible unicorn in their garage should be ridiculed. Somebody that thinks that we should strip search all the muslims entering the country should also be ridiculed.

A belief that says you should mistreat gay people should also be ridiculed. Then when people walk out because you ridicule said belief, i.e. because they cannot stand to have their beliefs ridiculed, those people should be ridiculed as well.

Some beliefs, and many actions, deserve nothing but contempt.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
The bullying maybe. Ridicule and bemoaning (everyone has a right to complain) are completely different on the other hand. Somebody that swears up and down that they have an invisible unicorn in their garage should be ridiculed. Somebody that thinks that we should strip search all the muslims entering the country should also be ridiculed.

A belief that says you should mistreat gay people should also be ridiculed. Then when people walk out because you ridicule said belief, i.e. because they cannot stand to have their beliefs ridiculed, those people should be ridiculed as well.

Some beliefs, and many actions, deserve nothing but contempt.

Are you saying he was justified in mocking Christians?

Bullying is not simply beating up someone... mocking and ridiculing is also a form of it.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Yes, the primary Christian value of 'Live like me, do what I say, or die and rot in hell, and be tortured and burn on a stick for eternity."

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Everyone is bullied, from being bullied to walk the straight and narrow path, to avoid financial punishment, to being afraid to go to jail and lose ones freedom.

Righteous bullying if you will.

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
Are you saying he was justified in mocking Christians?

Bullying is not simply beating up someone... mocking and ridiculing is also a form of it.

I think I very clearly stated that beliefs can be ridiculed. You can gather from that that I believe that one would be justified in saying that the bible is crap in that it justifies bullying gay people (in fact it demands that they be killed). People who walk away in protest after someone says, "This book is crap because it justifies killing gay people," are essentially acquiescing to the killing of gay people.

That, and the unprovoked mocking of Christians simply for being Christian are two completely different things. The one is justified ridicule, the other is bullying.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Everyone is bullied, from being bullied to walk the straight and narrow path, to avoid financial punishment, to being afraid to go to jail and lose ones freedom.

Righteous bullying if you will.

In the end, isn't that the justification of a bullies actions?... Righteous in one form or another?

Life is filled with all kinds of decisions, all of which carry consequences and ramifications. That's a burden that each one of us must shoulder, but assuming the burden of someone that offloads their own personal angst and discord onto others is nothing more than cowardice.

I think I very clearly stated that beliefs can be ridiculed.

A lifestyle is wholly based on a belief system.

You can catch the reruns Sunday morning on TV.

Nah, I don't watch that much TV, life's too short as is to live vicariously through a fictional character that exists in the mind of a writer.

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
A lifestyle is wholly based on a belief system.

Yes, it is definitely my belief system that is preventing me from living the same lifestyle as Tom Cruise. I definitely need to become a Scientologist to rectify this, then I'll finally be able to live like I am rich and famous. I already get to live like I'm crazy.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
One is truly righteous, the other is manufactured.

Would you say mocking a a Jew hater is truly righteous or manufactured?

Righteous and/or manufactured (in this example) are entirely subjective... My personal belief is that it is a manufactured construct, but again, that is my belief.

Where I do have a problem is where a group or individual acts on that subjectivity and exerts their will (etc) to the harm of the target group/person.

Yes, it is definitely my belief system that is preventing me from living the same lifestyle as Tom Cruise. I definitely need to become a Scientologist to rectify this, then I'll finally be able to live like I am rich and famous. I already get to live like I'm crazy.

Does scientology magically transform a follower into a commodity that 10's of millions of people will buy into?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Righteous and/or manufactured (in this example) are entirely subjective... My personal belief is that it is a manufactured construct, but again, that is my belief.
In the example I provided, I'll wear "bully" as a badge of honour.

Where I do have a problem is where a group or individual acts on that subjectivity and exerts their will (etc) to the harm of the target group/person.
What if it's meant to coerce critical thought? Promote the use of logic? End a siege of endless anti spam?

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
In the example I provided, I'll wear "bully" as a badge of honour.

What if it's meant to coerce critical thought? Promote the use of logic? End a siege of endless anti spam?

I think that it's fair to say that participants on these boards do so with the understanding that their position, ideas and yes, beliefs, will be challenged.... I don't equate that as equal to a kid that is ridiculed or physically punished due to their differences. In terms of the Joo haters that abound, an attitude is one thing, but justifying the actions of groups (Hamas for example) that seek to exert physical dominance is kinda aiding and abetting in an indirect manner.

Just my thoughts though.

BruSan

Electoral Member
Jul 5, 2011
I think I very clearly stated that beliefs can be ridiculed. You can gather from that that I believe that one would be justified in saying that the bible is crap in that it justifies bullying gay people (in fact it demands that they be killed). People who walk away in protest after someone says, "This book is crap because it justifies killing gay people," are essentially acquiescing to the killing of gay people.

That, and the unprovoked mocking of Christians simply for being Christian are two completely different things. The one is justified ridicule, the other is bullying.

I read in the initial post that a quoted teacher had stated Savage had said the whole bible was crap and should be disregarded among other statements that strayed completely from the theme of bullying. Speedo wearing husband appropriate to mention to teens; WTF?

Where is it a given that the only bullying going on in our schools is singularly directed at homosexual behaviour? Kind of a very narrow perspective of bullying if I were asked.

This speaker as a 'flavour of the month member' would have lost all credibility much earlier on with his "one trick pony" show had he not curried some sort of political favour from offices desperate to connect with all segmants of the voter base.

Bullying is a fact of life not confined to gays, but affects many other identifiable groups of people from nerd's to the slow speaking, through the small in stature to the overweight, the well dressed versus hand-me-downs, all painful and damaging to some extent. Some will use it to become positively motivated and rise above it. Others will wallow in self pity. For him to narrow it to that one parameter of homosexuality only show's he's a victim in the latter category and simply seeking to exact recognition for his past treatment.

Savage should have been a selective service candidate if he thinks he's got a bone in his teeth now I can only imagine what he would have thought and made of his 'boot camp' experience. whoooee!

Last edited:

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
I read in the initial post that a quoted teacher had stated Savage had said the whole bible was crap and should be disregarded among other statements that strayed completely from the theme of bullying. Speedo wearing husband appropriate to mention to teens; WTF?

Where is it a given that the only bullying going on in our schools is singularly directed at homosexual behaviour? Kind of a very narrow perspective of bullying if I were asked.

This speaker as a 'flavour of the month member' would have lost all credibility much earlier on with his "one trick pony" show had he not curried some sort of political favour from offices desperate to connect with all segmants of the voter base.

Bullying is a fact of life not confined to gays, but affects many other identifiable groups of people from nerd's to the slow speaking, through the small in stature to the overweight, the well dressed versus hand-me-downs, all painful and damaging to some extent. Some will use it to become positively motivated and rise above it. Others will wallow in self pity. For him to narrow it to that one parameter of homosexuality only show's he's a victim in the latter category and simply seeking to exact recognition for his past treatment.

Savage should have been a selective service candidate if he thinks he's got a bone in his teeth now I can only imagine what he would have thought and made of his 'boot camp' experience. whoooee!

Wow, perfect.