Fake First Nations/Native Americans

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Am I the only one bothered by people who claim to be First Nation or Native American? I remember awhile back a man name Ward Churchill who headed up the Native American studies in a Colorado university and it was later found out that the guy isn't even Native American and simply claimed he was.

Now we have Elizabeth Warren who is running for Senate in Massachusetts claimed to be a Native American. Or at least Harvard University was using her as part of their plan to bolster their image to look diversified... and not be.

Warren: I didn’t know Harvard Law promoted my lineage - BostonHerald.com

Native American? Really?

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Could have some native ancestry. I have some about 150 years back so it doesnt show. Nowhere near what one would need for status, not that I care one way or another.

Grey Owl wrote some good books so I'm ok with him.

These days its pretty easy to look this stuff up so a fraud wouldnt last very long.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
Could have some native ancestry. I have some about 150 years back so it doesnt show. Nowhere near what one would need for status, not that I care one way or another.

These days its pretty easy to look this stuff up so a fraud wouldnt last very long.

Is it the same test to see if she is really blond?

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Am I the only one bothered by people who claim to be First Nation or Native American? I remember awhile back a man name Ward Churchill who headed up the Native American studies in a Colorado university and it was later found out that the guy isn't even Native American and simply claimed he was.

Now we have Elizabeth Warren who is running for Senate in Massachusetts claimed to be a Native American. Or at least Harvard University was using her as part of their plan to bolster their image to look diversified... and not be.

Native American? Really?

My first question would be; "What is a native American?"
"First Nations" is fairly obvious in it's meaning, whereas
a native American could be someone who's family has
been in the country for four hundred years but not an
aboriginal first nation native.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Is that the only organization in the world that is forbidden from accepting new members?
They need to update possession of what comes over the cliff in a spiritual buffalo jump ceremony performed on a Rez and then donate a certain amount of time yearly in community service on a Rez or as a part of a watchdog committee that keeps everyone informed on all the nitty gritty details on finances and such.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving

I recall during some strife on Gill Nets on the Miramichi River - one fellow from the first nations was interviewed - last name was Haddad - That is a Lebanese name- Got a chuckle out of that.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I recall during some strife on Gill Nets on the Miramichi River - one fellow from the first nations was interviewed - last name was Haddad - That is a Lebanese name- Got a chuckle out of that.
I've met several card carrying Micmac, that are straight up gingers.

There's a lot of Viking in the wood piles.

roflmao..... He always breaks me up... and yes... we seem to have more than a few "generokee" on this board.
We do?

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
I've met several card carrying Micmac, that are straight up gingers.

There's a lot of Viking in the wood piles.

We do?

When I was posted there. My apt was not ready so I was in a motel for about 6 weeks. Not much to do and I always had coffee with the girls that waited in the small restaurant there. Well this one mentioned one day that her grandfather had moved from PEI. I heard the name - it rang a bell - called my uncle - and yep we were related. Man did she get a chuckle out of that.

Never know who you are related to.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan

I too was thinking Grey Owl when I read the title. That and a whole
bunch of Italians from some great classic Western movies.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
My first question would be; "What is a native American?"
"First Nations" is fairly obvious in it's meaning, whereas
a native American could be someone who's family has
been in the country for four hundred years but not an
aboriginal first nation native.

Really?

So you are not aware that Native-Americans and First Nations are the same thing? You are not aware that the US uses the term Native -Americans and the same way Canada uses First Nation?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON

Native American? Really?

If a person calls himself this that or the other thing, I'll generally take their word for it while also recognizing that it can be interpreted widely.

I don't consider myself indigenous Candian myself, but if I did, I would be telling the truth since I do have some native blood. I don't consider myself such though since I know so little of the culture and am totally assimilated into French-English Canadian culture. And since I consider my identity to be more cultural than genetic, I therefore don't identify myself and native. But if someone else should consider blood lines to be more important than I do, then that's their right. They are who they are.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
If a person calls himself this that or the other thing, I'll generally take their word for it while also recognizing that it can be interpreted widely.

I don't consider myself indigenous Candian myself, but if I did, I would be telling the truth since I do have some native blood. I don't consider myself such though since I know so little of the culture and am totally assimilated into French-English Canadian culture. And since I consider my identity to be more cultural than genetic, I therefore don't identify myself and native. But if someone else should consider blood lines to be more important than I do, then that's their right. They are who they are.

And if there is no Native Blood, no proof of First Nation or Native American heritage but they go around saying that they are... then what.

This blond haired blue eyed was presented as a Native American to show diversity in the Harvard University faculty and she is about as Native -American as I am. She's a fake.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
And if there is no Native Blood, no proof of First Nation or Native American heritage but they go around saying that they are... then what.

This blond haired blue eyed was presented as a Native American to show diversity in the Harvard University faculty and she is about as Native -American as I am. She's a fake.

Some Native Americans can look just like a European, so I would not be so quick to judge. Unless you can trace her family history and are aware she was never raised native Indian and never learnt the culture, it would be presumptuous.

I remember one woman who had learnt the Cree langauge fluently, learnt the culture inside and out, and though she had no native blood, the community generally accepted as Cree. No she was not legally Cree, but to her friends she was as good as Cree.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
The typical "Native" features are considered recessive traits. As I mentioned earlier, there are Micmac that couldn't pass for Native visually, but can prove their lineage with ease.

While my mother has strong Scandinavian genes, being blond and blue eyed. My father is dark skinned and dark haired, with other common "Native" features, like facial bone structure, including his nose. Myself, I have blue eyes, dark hair, some facial features, a tint to my skin and my nose, well, I bought a new one after having mine broken so often. I didn't think to just have it fixed as it was, and opted for a cute roman one, lol. I don't know why.

My paternal half brothers, are the product of a ginger mother, and have stronger "Native" features than I. Where I had the benefit of my paternal Grandfathers wisdom, they did not, by choice. They know very little of their culture (To touch on Machjo's reference to culture), beyond what they want to know, to fuel their ignorance, but they sure do make good use of their status.

My wife who is Anish, but lacking strong features, is the mother of two boys whose features are very strong. And until her lineage was determined, were considered Metis.

If you think any of that is confusing, lol, join the club.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Do you have an official "need to know"? With so much cross breeding over the past four or five generations I think it is next to impossible to figure out what someone is supposed to look like. I would take the position that unless I have a need to know best to just mind my own business! :smile:

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Really?

So you are not aware that Native-Americans and First Nations are the same thing? You are not aware that the US uses the term Native -Americans and the same way Canada uses First Nation?

I was born in Canada but my folks were American. I have an aunt who's family has been in the U.S. for over four hundred years and she calls herself a native American. I don't really blame her.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Some Native Americans can look just like a European, so I would not be so quick to judge. Unless you can trace her family history and are aware she was never raised native Indian and never learnt the culture, it would be presumptuous.

Well as she has answered... it was in family "lore" that they are part Native American. As far as they traced back they can find no trace. She is now saying she had no idea that Harvard was carrying her on the roles as a Native American as opposed to the white person she is.