Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Things ain't always as they seem eh.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
I think we have to be a little careful here. I for one think its a good idea not to have
children doing some of these things. Areas the might prove to be dangerous for the
younger folks should be off limits, never mind whether they have been doing it for
centuries. We also had children working in textile mills and other dangerous places
until society realized this was not a good idea.
There are all kinds of things they can still do however, and I don't see why they can't
do planting and other chores.
There should be a standard safety program administered or controlled by a government
agency. The reason? New on farm safety rules. As a farmer, I am facing some of the
toughest regulations ever. The fact is, if the food safety program is conducted by a third
party with a complete audit it is good for farmers as well. If all was done properly when
something goes wrong the farmer can't be sued.
We are living in a different world, America is behind on food safety regulations but is
adapting and bringing it under one roof. Europe, South America, Mexico and other
nations have food safety regulations well in hand in a changing world.
Canada is behind but we are catching up fast especially in the tree fruit industry.
Everything from safety procedures to the training of employees is changing and in order
to have exports allowed certain rules, regulations and paperwork must be done and that
is way beyond anything 4H can provide.
There is a battle going on for minds in America, there is the Obama approach and the
Tea Party, celebrating madness in a modern world. At least there is a choice. If I was
down there, I wouldn't be going with the Republicans who now now for the most part a
puppet organization held hostage by the Tea Party and other very unstable groups.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I think we have to be a little careful here. I for one think its a good idea not to have
children doing some of these things. Areas the might prove to be dangerous for the
younger folks should be off limits, never mind whether they have been doing it for
centuries. We also had children working in textile mills and other dangerous places
until society realized this was not a good idea.
There are all kinds of things they can still do however, and I don't see why they can't
do planting and other chores.
There should be a standard safety program administered or controlled by a government
agency. The reason? New on farm safety rules. As a farmer, I am facing some of the
toughest regulations ever. The fact is, if the food safety program is conducted by a third
party with a complete audit it is good for farmers as well. If all was done properly when
something goes wrong the farmer can't be sued.
We are living in a different world, America is behind on food safety regulations but is
adapting and bringing it under one roof. Europe, South America, Mexico and other
nations have food safety regulations well in hand in a changing world.
Canada is behind but we are catching up fast especially in the tree fruit industry.
Everything from safety procedures to the training of employees is changing and in order
to have exports allowed certain rules, regulations and paperwork must be done and that
is way beyond anything 4H can provide.
There is a battle going on for minds in America, there is the Obama approach and the
Tea Party, celebrating madness in a modern world. At least there is a choice. If I was
down there, I wouldn't be going with the Republicans who now now for the most part a
puppet organization held hostage by the Tea Party and other very unstable groups.

And the Democrat party is dominated by people like you who pretty much make things up as you go. South America and Mexico have food regs well in hand? Seriously.

In a related matter... next time in Mexico take a nice long cool drink of their water and test out their regs.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
We protest other countries who make children work in sweatshops but it is OK for children to work the farms and driving the farm machinery and sometimes losing limbs and life in this country.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Lets not forget cleaning their rooms, making their beds and helping out with the yard work.

We can't have that!

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Yeah, let's have gov't regulate parents as to what they feel their kids can or can't do. How the hell any farm kid ever survived without gov't interference, I have no idea.

I think the lack of government interference is what has kept them alive. All the social workers and rules in the cities have not produced much in the line of useful teens.

We protest other countries who make children work in sweatshops but it is OK for children to work the farms and driving the farm machinery and sometimes losing limbs and life in this country.

Oh yea far better that they loose their life in a back alley with a stomach full of bad drugs.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
I think the lack of government interference is what has kept them alive. All the social workers and rules in the cities have not produced much in the line of useful teens.

Oh yea far better that they loose their life in a back alley with a stomach full of bad drugs.
??????

The Old Medic

Council Member
May 16, 2010
The World
The ratio of children being killed or badly injured while operating farm equipment is so low as to be virtually non-existent.

I am sick and tired of the "Nanny-State" doing it's best to insinuate itself into every aspect of life. Where does it get the authority to tell any parent that they can not have their teen aged kids operate machinery on their own farm? What part of the United States Constitution gives them the authority to do this?

They are also virtually eliminating participation in 4-H Clubs, Future Farmers of America (FFA), etc. The ONLY thing left in the way of legal farm related activities will be raising animals.

The bottom line is: Where does the authority to regulate this come from?

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Running the lawn mower. Omfg!

I had my 13 year old mowing the lawn... I must be in violation of Child Labor Laws.

Then again my parents had me mowing the lawn at 13.

A clear sign of abusive parental behavior being passed down from generation to generation. Not my fault... I'm a victim!

A nation spiraling downwards and out of control!

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
I had my 13 year old mowing the lawn... I must be in violation of Child Labor Laws.

Then again my parents had me mowing the lawn at 13.

A clear sign of abusive parental behavior being passed down from generation to generation. Not my fault... I'm a victim!

A nation spiraling downwards and out of control!

I'm telling.